Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is the warranty of a Canadian Toyota Imported to US valid in the US?

shaX 07

Reaction score
Hey yall, it's been a long time since i've posted! I am curious if anyone can help me out... I'm looking at some used X-Runners, and I am wondering if the factory Toyota warranty would be valid on a truck that was imported into the US from Canada? I have found a couple of 2014 X-Runners for sale at US dealerships, and given their age, they should still have some factory warranty left, but i'm not sure if US Toyota dealers honor warranties of trucks that originated in Canada.

The CarFax of said trucks has no mention of warranty.

hiflyer

Reaction score
Probably not to some unknown reason other than politics.

Only real issue seems to be the throw out bearing but install URD's and you're set

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get a VIN off one of those trucks and call Toyota Corporate and see what they have to say on the matter.

And hiflyer, Eric is a previous XR owner, this would be his second go-around.

shaX 07

Reaction score
My only other real concern with these trucks is the transmissions..... How drastic were those over the the years? I remember back before I sold mine 5 years ago, it was still a hot topic and lots of people had transmission issues. On my 05, I had a 5th gear grind around 45k miles and fortunately I was able to get the entire transmission replaced under warranty. I would hate to buy a nearly new truck with no warranty and end up needing a tranny, but not have the warranty to cover it.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric, call Toyota corporate or talk to the dealers selling the trucks. I think that's the only way you're going to ease your mind on this subject.

As for the tranny's they've always been hit or miss.....::knock on wood:: I've got 163,000 miles on mine (replaced the throw-out bearing about 75 times) and no grinding ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood::

shaX 07

Reaction score
Eric, call Toyota corporate or talk to the dealers selling the trucks. I think that's the only way you're going to ease your mind on this subject.

As for the tranny's they've always been hit or miss.....::knock on wood:: I've got 163,000 miles on mine (replaced the throw-out bearing about 75 times) and no grinding ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood:: ::knock on wood::

You really replaced your TO bearing 75 times, or was that a typo?

Does it seem to be something that isn't a problem after you get to a certain mileage (transmission issues?) Like, "if an XR makes it to 100k miles without any tranny problems, it's probably safe" or is that not true, and the issues are completely random and can crop up at anytime?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
You really replaced your TO bearing 75 times, or was that a typo?

It certainly feels like it.....4 times

Does it seem to be something that isn't a problem after you get to a certain mileage (transmission issues?) Like, "if an XR makes it to 100k miles without any tranny problems, it's probably safe" or is that not true, and the issues are completely random and can crop up at anytime?

Crap shoot, it's been random. Some guys have had problems at 25,000 miles others at 125,000 miles.....I'd have to say that for the most the catastrophic failures are the outliers rather than the norm. Regular trans fluid changes with Redline MT-90 has done me well. :top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
I called Toyota Corporate and the dealership today... Toyota said that the warranty status is dependent on the specific vehicle and arrangements with the dealer, it's not necessarily a blanket "yes all or no all the warranties of all canadian vehicles is or is not valid".

The dealer said that they spoke to a local Toyota dealer to them, and that they said it would be honored. I'm going to check with some local dealers near me to see if they say the same.

shaX 07

Reaction score
Mmy tranny blew at 76,000 08

I take it your truck was out of warranty by then? Did you have to pay for it out of pocket? How much does a new tranny job cost from a dealer?

Top Bottom