Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JUNE Tail of the Dragon Run???

christhepike

Reaction score
I've been up there a few times on my Gold Wing and on my Vstrom.
the nicest place I found was Iron Horse M/C Lodge - they have camping, open-bay barracks style rooms, rooms with shared bath, rooms with a private bath, and entire Cabins you can rent.
If you wanna camp they can even supply the tent for you!!
All in all it's run by a great couple and you can even get bkfst and dinner there!!
I highly recommend them!!

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

Now as for ridin' the dragon - if you wann do some thing different, try running it AT NIGHT.
I did that a few times and it's quite the thrill!!

If you see a Radiant Red X-Runner w/Florida plates there around the 20-22nd of June stop by and say hi as it's probably me on my drive back to FL from MD!!

Can't wait to get back from this dust-bowl - 14 more days left here!!

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram Afghanistan

You gotta be a crazy man to ride the dragon at night!!!! NUTS haha
:adore:

http://www.twowheelinn.com/

TWO WHEEL INN
2595 Tallulah Rd, US 129
Robbinsville, NC 28771
Telephone: 828-479-4248
Office Hours 7am to 10pm EST

But as I said I'm partial to Iron Horse M/C :)

Dave

Thanks for the hotel info!

Last edited:

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
You gotta be a crazy man to ride the dragon at night!!!! NUTS haha
:adore:

Thanks for the hotel info!

I forgot to say I've done it SIX TIMES at nite -===>:eviltongue:

BTW, if ya do go to the dragon and don't stay at Iron Horse, at least drop by to take a look at the place..
Maybe it's me 'cuz I'm older, but I liked the vibe best here - older more relaxed crowd, nice fire pit outside the lodge - and the owner even let me sleep on the sofa inside if it got too cold out (was there in October)....

Hoping to make it there on the 22nd of June in my X-Runner (with fresh goodies installed)

Dave

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
I live about 15 away from the dragon so I am there just about every weekend if the weather nice but iv only went through it twice both at night . I'll be there this weekend and agine on the 22 for a import meet. Stop by and say hey if your out ill get there around noon a buddy of mine does the pics as you drive though KillBoy.com

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
I live about 15 away from the dragon so I am there just about every weekend if the weather nice but iv only went through it twice both at night . I'll be there this weekend and agine on the 22 for a import meet. Stop by and say hey if your out ill get there around noon a buddy of mine does the pics as you drive though KillBoy.com

What's the skinny on the import meet? Got a web page or other info you can send me in case I make it there on time??

Tell Darryl howdy....Lori too - she's a cutie for sure!!

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram Afghanistan

lamecargo

Reaction score
ill be there the 14-16th as part of the R1/R6 forum convention there will be quite a few bikes out there considering the thing runs from the 9-16th we are all staying at the natahala lodge

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
It's a local face book form import culture and knoxville car enthusiasts meet Knoxville tn . We're having a meet there at the dame on the 22nd . Everyone in welcome no mater what you drive or ride . The group was created for the poeple who want to meet up that dose t have that speacial vehicle to go on cruises with. It seems here you have to have criterion vehicle to be part of some thing. This is for the one who just want to get out have some fun and drive there car truck or bike with a group vehicle loving poeple .

christhepike

Reaction score

You were gonna come down and run the Dragon with me right? I just booked a hotel in tellico plains today. was gonna give ya a call tomorrow. im gonna get into tellico around 4ish friday. run and ride sat on the skyway and gap. then probably do some riding sunday morning and head home around 1-2

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
It's a local face book form import culture and knoxville car enthusiasts meet Knoxville tn . We're having a meet there at the dame on the 22nd . Everyone in welcome no mater what you drive or ride . The group was created for the poeple who want to meet up that dose t have that speacial vehicle to go on cruises with. It seems here you have to have criterion vehicle to be part of some thing. This is for the one who just want to get out have some fun and drive there car truck or bike with a group vehicle loving poeple .

Sounds good - I'll try to run thru there on the 22nd on the way back to Tampa.....wife may be with me so she'll not wanna hang around much (not into car scene)...

Dave

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Ya in in just give me a call . I work til 6 on Friday then free for the weekend . In putting the slicks on if the weather is going to to be nice but there saying its going to rain Friday .

christhepike

Reaction score
Ya in in just give me a call . I work til 6 on Friday then free for the weekend . In putting the slicks on if the weather is going to to be nice but there saying its going to rain Friday .

cool. i have a room in tellico plains for friday and sat. wont run dragon till sat. just gonna do a run thru then head back to hotel and get on the bike. thinking of doing a lap on bike thru skyway/dragon/loop back to cherokee/bryson city/skyway back to hotel. maybe another go at it on sunday morning with X.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Sounds good just let me know were and what time you wanna meet sat .

christhepike

Reaction score
Ok, since you are coming from Knox how about meeting at the harely-davidson shop on 129 just north of the Dragon around noon(eastern)

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Rats! Looks like I won't make it - wife can't get any time off work...yet they won't give her a nice pay raise either - WTF???

Anyway, gonna be runnin hard and fast down I-95 from MD to Tampa that Saturday and Sunday -- no time for fun side trips :(

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram - 8 days and counting....(plus 3 nites in Qatar dammit!)

christhepike

Reaction score
Had fun this weekend at the Dragon in the X and on the bike! Met up with BlackDiesel and had a blast on 129 and Cherohala Skyway! Got pretty high while at it--- 5,377 feet to be exact ;)

Attachments

• 2013-06-08 20.58.35.jpg
    2013-06-08 20.58.35.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2013-06-08 17.11.31.jpg
    2013-06-08 17.11.31.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013-06-08 18.44.19.jpg
    2013-06-08 18.44.19.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2013-06-09 22.06.46.jpg
    2013-06-09 22.06.46.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 2013-06-09 22.15.25.jpg
    2013-06-09 22.15.25.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 122

christhepike

Reaction score
Hope next time I can run the slicks and have some real fun.

crap if you ran the slicks then I would have never seen ya! i need to get my suspension up to par and some more rubber if you are gonna do that! :laugh:

Hope next time I can run the slicks and have some real fun.

My friend with the GTO says he will be running the Dragon end of October with a group of GTOs. Invited me to come along as there will be a mix of other cars. Just a heads up if you wanna run then.

Last edited:

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Sounds like plan just let me know when it's a lil closer too so I don't forget

Top Bottom