K&N oil filter!?

Discussion in 'Fluids & Maintenance' started by BigBuff87, May 25, 2007.

1. BigBuff87

BigBuff87 New Member

I just baught a K&N oil filter and i was just wondering if anyone knows if its really all that better than just others?

2. Stevenredx

Stevenredx New Member

I always use stock :top:

I did use a K&N one time in my 3000gt and it gave it lifter tick from hell... put back in factory and it was all better :top:

3. Twisted Creations

Twisted Creations New Member

Toyota Stock Parts A#1 :biggrin: well as far as oil filters anyway :smile:

4. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

If it filters anything like their airfilter I would never use one.

Gadget

5. BlackXrunner05

BlackXrunner05 Active Member

How much are the toyota filters and where can you get em outside a dealership?

6. BigBuff87

BigBuff87 New Member

ok Well imma try it and see (since ive done baught it) if something goes wrong or anything ill just change it, but thx for the heads up it might suck haha

7. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

K&N filters are made by Hi-Flo.

8. rpmspeedyblue

rpmspeedyblue New Member

The dealer sells them for $6.50 or you can try ebay. A co-worker found some for 4.00 on ebay. I personally don't like them. I use WIX brand filters.

9. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Yeah that is why I like Amsoil filters - Wix makes them.

10. rpmspeedyblue

rpmspeedyblue New Member

Yea, Amsoil products are pretty good. I'll be switching over to Amsoil oil on my next oil change. Did some research and Castrol syntec is not all what I thought it was in camparison to Amsoil or mobile 1 oil.

11. flyinbryan

flyinbryan New Member

mobile 1 synthetic :top:

12. rpmspeedyblue

rpmspeedyblue New Member

Yea, I ended up putting Mobile 1 synthetic in my truck yesterday and the Castrol syntec (left over from the case I bought)in my wifes camry. Overall Amsoil seems to be the best oil to put in your engine, looking at the 6 imortant properties chart: viscosity, viscosity index, flash point, pour point, (% sulfated ash and % zinc additives)

13. Stevenredx

Stevenredx New Member

yeah amsoil is rated the best... only downside is that its hard to find locally :thumpdown:

14. rpmspeedyblue

rpmspeedyblue New Member

Several people that use Amsoil order it through the mail. I'm going to check a local speed shop if they carry it.

15. quicky06

quicky06 New Member

amsoil is god stuff its just not that much better than mobil1 IMO

16. Bigdawg

Bigdawg New Member

I get such a kick out of the Castrol ads. If anybody understands oil companies, they know that Castrol is an European company that has no research and developement departments. They buy all there technology from other oil companies. They do not bottle or blend oil in this country. They pay other oil companies to blend it and package it for them.

You ever pay attention to what their ads say? CASTROL SYNTEC OUTPERFORMS EVERY OTHER CONVENTIONAL OIL. Hell yes, any synthetic oil outperforms a conventional oil!!!!! They spend all there money on marketing. The impression that Castrol is great oil far exceeds the fact that it is not close to being the best oil out there.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the have been the leaders in synthetic oil. However, Mobil has downgraded there base grade synthetic now so the quality is not what it was in the past.

Just remember, ALL THESE OILS meet or exceed the manufactures requirements. It just some are better than others. It is more important what the frequency of your oil change is than the brand of oil.

Just my .02.

17. rpmspeedyblue

rpmspeedyblue New Member

When I was looking up oils I noticed that Castrol really puts out a lot of hype on their products. I guess its a red flag when they put more money into selling the product(the look of the container) than in the product itself.