LOWERED LEAF SPRING DEALER

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TACOWHEELS, Aug 11, 2018.

1. TACOWHEELS

TACOWHEELS Member

Anyone know of companies out there manufacturing steel lowered leaf springs for the x-runners? I cant find any for Toyota's.

2. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

That is a great question. XII Performance is/was doing that.

Was running theirs, but switched to Toyota 4x4 leafs. Works better on my truck.

3. imom

imom Member

Did you use the 4 leaf or 3 leaf from stock 4x4? I have both, but didn't know which one to use if 4 leaf was too stiff for regular cab, but I know 3 leaf has a recall.

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

@throwinsparksatu just got a set of the mono leafs from Flex-Form direct. No source for steel that I know of yet.

Blue10XR likes this.
  5. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

I just got new 4x4 springs from the Toyota dealer. Still drops a hair over stock and has a better spring rate so I am not needing the chiropractor after ever drive.

hypertaco likes this.
  6. imom

imom Member

So that's the 4 leaf then because I believe dealer doesn't make 3 leaf anymore.

7. Blue10XR

Blue10XR Member

Any feedback on ride quality and drop height?

8. TACOWHEELS

TACOWHEELS Member

I have heard of people doing this. But I'm unfamiliar on the details. Is it a straight forward swap? Also how much drop does it give?

9. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

It's about a 2" drop...think they were marketed as 2.25".....I've always loved mine. Ride quality is fair...it's stiffer than stock obviously but I've daily driven the truck with them installed (with QA-1 shocks) for 8 years and can't complain

Blue10XR likes this.
  10. TACOWHEELS

TACOWHEELS Member

This sounds like what I'm after. If you don't mind sharing.... Would you happen to know the QA1 part # for the shocks you are using?Is it just a matter of going to a Toyota parts dept. and ordering the same 4x4 leafs for my year? Also this might be a dumb question..but why do the 4x4 leafs drop the truck? wouldn't 4x4 truck's leafs be lifted more?Thanks!

#10 TACOWHEELS, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. imom

imom Member

If you are referring to the stock 4x4 toyota leafs... it's because 6 lug 4x4 leafs are installed over the axle I believe and the 5 lugs are installed under the axle. So taking the 4x4 leafs have less arch so it lowers the rear in our application by installing them under the axle.

Gadget, you used stock OEM 4x4 leaf spring with 4 leafs right?

12. Superloki24

Superloki24 Member

I have the 4x4 leafs on my truck and the ride quality is great. I had the 2" drop blocks in with QA1s and it was horrible to drive around town (Canadian pot holes are horrible). The 4x4 leafs are a direct swap. Nothing to modify or tweak. Take your old ones out and put in the new 4x4 leafs. I wouldn't use the 3 leaf recall ones though. Take a look at TacomaWorld or Craigslist as a lot of 4x4 guys buy their trucks and install different leafs right off the dealer lot. I got mine from a guy on TW for $100. They still had the stickers on them.

As for the drop, when I compared them to someone who was running the XII Performance Composite Mono leafs, the 4x4 leafs were about 1/2" higher. Ride quality is about the same between the two.

13. MaK10-XRnR

MaK10-XRnR Member

4x4 leafs won't lower the truck 2" though, will they?

14. TACOWHEELS

TACOWHEELS Member

Sounds perfect. So how much total drop do you think it gave you? Also are you still running the QA1's?-thanks.

15. MaK10-XRnR

MaK10-XRnR Member

Aren’t the 4x4 leafs 2 leaf with an overload? I have a set of 4x4 leafs in the garage with like 15k miles on them. I wonder how much it would lower the truck? Can I expect 2”?

16. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Hmm...
    I believe Toyota added one more leaf spring to their leaf packs in 2014?....
    From what I *understand* the 4x4 and Pre-runner use the same rear springs.
    I don't have an X-runner just a low life 2015 X-cab w/ a 2.7L manual, (wanting to do a 4L V6 transplant or waiting on URD to have a sale on their SC) I got a little over 2" drop with a set of 2015 4x4 leafsprings that didn't have any miles on them. They just had house paint on them from when the guy had his house painted. And for $75 who's complaining. Yes many 4x4 guys pull out their brand new springs.
    Also the guy asking about the QA1's get TS703 Single adjustable. I'm still waiting on my fabricator to finish up the upper mounts & brake line mounts for the front QA1 coilovers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QA1-TS703-Stocker-Star-R-Shock-Absorber/161671951262?epid=1311809383&hash=item25a466339e:g:SYkAAOSwAQBaswDE&_sacat=0&_nkw=QA1+703&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

AZ

#16 AZ Sun Lover, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  17. Superloki24

Superloki24 Member

The TSB recalled 4x4 leafs are the 4 leaf ones. The old ones are 3 leaf. I'm not sure on what year they did the recall.

Yeah I would say the drop was about 1.75" to 2" from stock ride height. For the pretty low price of a set of used 4x4 leafs I would say it's a low risk to at least try them and see. I don't think you would be disappointed with them if you want a lowered truck but still keep it comfortable for daily driving.

18. hypertaco

hypertaco Member

does it ride better than using the blocks? I hope the answer is yes because I'm about to remove the blocks and put the leafs from XII on the truck.

19. Superloki24

Superloki24 Member

It rides way better than the blocks. I had the blocks and got these.....night and day difference.

hypertaco likes this.
  20. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

You didn't read my post.....I was talking about the fiberglass mono leafs....not the 4x4 6 lug leafs. The 4x4 leafs don't get you much drop.....maybe an inch?