Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LS2 swap

Redline

Reaction score
LS blah! Chevy Blah!
Maybe a 2jz. I can't bring myself to put a chevy engine in my Toyota!
I am such a loyal mofo! Toyota all day!! I even thought of a 3SGTE but never a chevy...

The best way to repair anything but a Toyota is to remove the oil cap on the other make, remove the engine and replace it with a Toyota engine. Problem solved!!

Which car does the 3sgte come out of?

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Reverse LS swap.....

11204941_10206264752550946_6781684347856779680_n_zpsgjacglit.jpg
Now THAT is what's up!! Toyota Power!

kwigs160966

Reaction score
A lot of motors would be sweet. In the end $$$ is all it comes down to lol. I've allways been a Chevy guy anyway

Gadget

Reaction score
There are some advantages to the LS stuff. Cheap, parts everywhere, been done before, simple EMS solution, and for the displacement and power output, the overall package size is small which makes swaps easy.

G

justin13703

Reaction score
People can try to knock em all they want, but at the end of the day you can't beat the power levels, reliability, and relatively low cost of an ls motor. F all that brand loyalty crap. No car company pays me to sweet talk their brand lol

Blue10XR

Reaction score
People can try to knock em all they want, but at the end of the day you can't beat the power levels, reliability, and relatively low cost of an ls motor. F all that brand loyalty crap. No car company pays me to sweet talk their brand lol
So then put that motor in an S-10 and get out of my Toyota! :thumbdown: Oh that's right the S-10 is weak....
Why do you drive a Toyota anyway?

iniazy

Reaction score
Reverse LS swap.....

11204941_10206264752550946_6781684347856779680_n_zpsgjacglit.jpg

LOL I love it!

LOL I like your attitude. I feel loyal, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that I understand Toyotas and don't understand the others, is what makes me loyal to it.

justin13703

Reaction score
So then put that motor in an S-10 and get out of my Toyota! :thumbdown: Oh that's right the S-10 is weak....
Why do you drive a Toyota anyway?

Who said anything about an s10 lol? And, what's weak is the transmissions in the Toyota tacomas. Hence the reason why I DONT drive one anymore lol. Haven't had my x runner in like a year and a half. I just love this forum so I stay here.

Which reminds me of how many people are dying to get their hands on a t56 swap kit for their tacoma. Another piece of awesomeness related to the ls field...

justin13703

Reaction score
LOL I like your attitude. I feel loyal, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that I understand Toyotas and don't understand the others, is what makes me loyal to it.

Lol yeah I just like anything cool. Regardless of the brand. Which is why Id love to see someone do a 2jz swap in an x runner probably even more than an ls. Putting aside brand this and brand that, Chevy vs toyota blah blah blah lol, an ls swapped x runner is bad ass just as a 2jz swapped one is.

iniazy

Reaction score
Who said anything about an s10 lol? And, what's weak is the transmissions in the Toyota tacomas. Hence the reason why I DONT drive one anymore lol. Haven't had my x runner in like a year and a half. I just love this forum so I stay here.

Which reminds me of how many people are dying to get their hands on a t56 swap kit for their tacoma. Another piece of awesomeness related to the ls field...

I believe the old Toyota R-series 5-speed transmission, fitted on the HiLux and Fortuner 1GR V6, as well as the 2TR Tacoma, Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series Turbo Diesel V8, the GCC-spec LC100 with the 4.7L V8 (came in manual for several years), and the old LC with the 1FZ 4.5L I6 engine, is really a strong and superior transmission that can handle any amount of power and torque. Having it fitted on the mighty Turbo Diesel V8 gives it enough credit.

So although Fortuner and HiLux owners may think they are unfortunate to have a five speed instead of the Prado and FJ Cruiser's six speed manual, they are actually lucky because that transmission is bullet proof.

Maybe you guys may consider swapping an R series instead of the T56. That way you will not have to deal with custom shafts or custom bell housings, and you can fit them to 4WD models as well, if you get the F-series of this transmission.

justin13703

Reaction score
I believe the old Toyota R-series 5-speed transmission, fitted on the HiLux and Fortuner 1GR V6, as well as the 2TR Tacoma, Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series Turbo Diesel V8, the GCC-spec LC100 with the 4.7L V8 (came in manual for several years), and the old LC with the 1FZ 4.5L I6 engine, is really a strong and superior transmission that can handle any amount of power and torque. Having it fitted on the mighty Turbo Diesel V8 gives it enough credit.

So although Fortuner and HiLux owners may think they are unfortunate to have a five speed instead of the Prado and FJ Cruiser's six speed manual, they are actually lucky because that transmission is bullet proof.

Maybe you guys may consider swapping an R series instead of the T56. That way you will not have to deal with custom shafts or custom bell housings, and you can fit them to 4WD models as well, if you get the F-series of this transmission.

I know Torspd has brought up swapping in the 5 speed before. I'm not too sure how many people have done it though. I don't think there's a whole lot of information out there about doing the 5 speed swap. But yes the 5 speed is a lot stronger than the 6 speed. Not really that the 6 speeds in the tacomas have strength issues, I've never actually seen one blow apart, but the synchros are about as durable as a piece of cardboard and the gearing is horrific.

Blue10XR

Reaction score

Ok, now it all makes sense! I am just razzing you man! Oh what a feeling, Toyota! LOL
T56 is a great kit but I would still look into a Toyota trans first.....

kwigs160966

Reaction score
The problem with Toyota. Is they aren't made to be modified and driven hard. And parts are expensive and hard to find at times. And they still have never fixed the rust issues with the Tacoma. I mean how many frames have been replaced now. I love my X but will very unlikely be buying a Toyota again. I have put so much time and money into it that a no body would probably buy it and b I would feel like I wasted my time. So I'm keeping it and enjoying every part of this swap so far.

I have lots to do and a long list of parts that I have and need to order. Next step is the transmission and prepping the engine bay. The trans is a vette trans so it is reverse mounted and not the same as an f-body so I am doing a conversion on it to turn it into a Gto style trans with three piece syncros for 1st/2nd.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I know Torspd has brought up swapping in the 5 speed before. I'm not too sure how many people have done it though. I don't think there's a whole lot of information out there about doing the 5 speed swap. But yes the 5 speed is a lot stronger than the 6 speed. Not really that the 6 speeds in the tacomas have strength issues, I've never actually seen one blow apart, but the synchros are about as durable as a piece of cardboard and the gearing is horrific.

I have been wanting to do the five speed swap for many years... the issue is the transmission is not state side.. it is an over sea import and it seems finding one is not as easy as I would like... they run about $2500 +/- before any other costs like shipping and what ever else. . One member here has the five speed swap but he is on the other side of the water

iniazy

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do the five speed swap for many years... the issue is the transmission is not state side.. it is an over sea import and it seems finding one is not as easy as I would like... they run about $2500 +/- before any other costs like shipping and what ever else. . One member here has the five speed swap but he is on the other side of the water

I think the Tacoma 2TR has an R series five speed. I think you just need to order the bell housing from overseas, and use the 2TR transmission.

justin13703

Reaction score
The problem with Toyota. Is they aren't made to be modified and driven hard. And parts are expensive and hard to find at times. And they still have never fixed the rust issues with the Tacoma. I mean how many frames have been replaced now. I love my X but will very unlikely be buying a Toyota again. I have put so much time and money into it that a no body would probably buy it and b I would feel like I wasted my time. So I'm keeping it and enjoying every part of this swap so far.

I have lots to do and a long list of parts that I have and need to order. Next step is the transmission and prepping the engine bay. The trans is a vette trans so it is reverse mounted and not the same as an f-body so I am doing a conversion on it to turn it into a Gto style trans with three piece syncros for 1st/2nd.

I agree with all of this, combination of the rust and transmission issues that they refuse to fix, and then when they denied me warranty coverage on my trans while I was under warranty that pretty much did it. I loved my truck but yeah it was the last toyota I'll have too. An ls with a t56 will make it fun as hell and pretty much get rid of all the major issues

shane881510

Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to start on a swap of any kind. How do u get the wireing harness to work together and all the instruments on the inside still work. All that wiring scares the shit out of me. I'd love to do a 2jz swap or a ls either one. I like both platforms. It's all about the money tho. If I had unlimited $$$ I'd go with a 2jz and let a shop do it.

Top Bottom