Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mk3 Install No Start. Help!

disciple X

Reaction score
It has been over 6 years since I posted here! I have been out of the scene for a while.

I just installed the URD MK3 Stage 2 system on my truck and tried to fire it up. No good. I don't hear the fuel pump running at all, and it sounds like its not getting any gas. Anybdy else have this happen or have any ideas?

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
Did you do the urd fuel pump upgrade? Recheck all connections

Coupe

Reaction score
I have not installed one of these, but usually in the instructions they have you disable the relay that activates the fuel pump. If this was not reinstalled, you would have this issue.

disciple X

Reaction score
Update 1-22-17

Talked to Gadget about the issue, and he hooked me up with Scott from Itronix who has been a big help.

The no start was my fault, and I have nothing but ignorance to blame. I previouzly has a MK1 kit installed and had intermittent problems that I never found the source of. To try and eliminate the possibility that it was my ECU, I bought one from another 06 X-Runner and installed it at the same time as the MK3 system.

Scott informed me that each ECU is coded to 1 specific vehicle. You can't simply swap them. I had no idea.

After switching back to the original ECU, the truck fired up for the first time in a week, but was running rough. I had cylinder 4 misfiring, so I took the brand new plug out, and it was black from all the attempted starts and wrong computer, so I cleaned it with brake cleaner and reinstalled. It cranked back up and ran smoother, but still not perfect.

I discovered a vaccum leak at one of the t fittigs that smoothed it out even more.

The truck is running, but still seems to be misfiring some. I'm going to clean and reinstall the other 5 plugs and see how she runs then.

Thanks to Gadget and Scott for the technical support. Hopefully I can get it completely smoothed out.

I've done a couple WOT data logs, and it pulls pretty hard! If we can get it all smoothed out, I'll be really happy with the power level.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Glad they got you straightened out.

It's too bad that you didn't post on here that you swapped your Ecu, we could have told you that was your problem. There are a lot of people on here that buy them used just to find out that they can't use them. But I guess if you don't know that you wouldn't even think to mention it. But the best thing to do is call URD anyway. Those guys are awesome.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running it at WOT at the recommendation of URD for logging? I wouldn't be ripping around in it if you're still seeing misfires....

Last edited:

fishsticks

Because fast lifted truck.
Reaction score
Are you running it at WOT at the recommendation of URD for logging? I wouldn't be ripping around in it if you're still seeing misfires....

+1. How old are your coil packs? You could have weak spark. Is your MAF or TB dirty?

disciple X

Reaction score
Glad they got you straightened out.

It's too bad that you didn't post on here that you swapped your Ecu, we could have told you that was your problem. There are a lot of people on here that buy them used just to find out that they can't use them. But I guess if you don't know that you wouldn't even think to mention it. But the best thing to do is call URD anyway. Those guys are awesome.

I wish I would have known. It would have saved me a ton of stress and heartache. Yeah, it didn't even register that it would be an issue. URD is helping to get me straightened out.

disciple X

Reaction score

The last data log I had only showed cylinder 4 misfiring. Once I cleaned the plug, it quit showing, so then Scott asked for data files.

disciple X

Reaction score
+1. How old are your coil packs? You could have weak spark. Is your MAF or TB dirty?

Coil packs are original from 06. Do they normally get weak over time?

I'll check both Saturday and make sure they are cleaned out well while I'm changing plugs.

fishsticks

Reaction score
Coil packs are original from 06. Do they normally get weak over time?

I'll check both Saturday and make sure they are cleaned out well while I'm changing plugs.

They certainly can. Might not be as noticeable on a stock motor but add some cylinder pressure and...

I replaced mine as preventative maintenance when I put on my MK3.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I'd definitely get your misfires straightened out and your truck running top notch before ripping on it at all. MK3 is capable of a ton of power, likewise it's easily capable of killing a stock motor pretty damn quick if something isn't just quite right. I'd hate to see you posting that your engine is toast without ever being able to enjoy your new power.
Was the kit you bought new or used? Are you running a fuel pressure gauge. If not I would highly recommend you get one. You starve it for fuel in WOT and it's probably game over for your engine.
At the age of your truck I would look at just replacing all the vacuum lines, coil packs, fuel filter, clean MAF sensor, general maintenance type things. might even want to do a compression check and make sure something isn't funky there already.

disciple X

Reaction score
They certainly can. Might not be as noticeable on a stock motor but add some cylinder pressure and...

I replaced mine as preventative maintenance when I put on my MK3.

You just go back with stock? And where did you get them?

disciple X

Reaction score
I'd definitely get your misfires straightened out and your truck running top notch before ripping on it at all. MK3 is capable of a ton of power, likewise it's easily capable of killing a stock motor pretty damn quick if something isn't just quite right. I'd hate to see you posting that your engine is toast without ever being able to enjoy your new power.
Was the kit you bought new or used? Are you running a fuel pressure gauge. If not I would highly recommend you get one. You starve it for fuel in WOT and it's probably game over for your engine.
At the age of your truck I would look at just replacing all the vacuum lines, coil packs, fuel filter, clean MAF sensor, general maintenance type things. might even want to do a compression check and make sure something isn't funky there already.

Kit was brand new. I'll be changing the spark plugs tomorrow and will also check the trottle body and MAF sensor.

I changed the funky shaped vaccum line that runs along the plenum and replaced it with 3/8 ID fuel line and secured every fitting with hose clamps. Checked all the connections with soapy water to see if it sucked in any bubbles, and all were good. Will double check again tomorrow

I'm also going to take some data logs and send to URD once plugs are changed. with the Ucon in place, I would imagine they can see any problems.

I dont have a fuel pressure gauge. if thats an important one, I'll try to order one next week.

fishsticks

Reaction score
You just go back with stock? And where did you get them?

Yep, stock ones do just fine. Denso 673-1308 on Amazon - around $60 each.

I have my old set (which still worked) for sale in another thread if you want some cheap spares to swap in. My truck got totaled so I don't need them anymore. $60+shipping for all. PM me if you want them.

Top Bottom