Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Modified Bumper Height

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
So I got hassled today by the State Police on my lunch break. NH law states that the bottom of the bumper must be 16" from level ground. Anyone have any ideas as to how I could modify the bumper to raise it 3"? Even at stock height I'm not there......doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
That was my question....he claimed stock height is exempt....but the law doesn't read that way.

Hey are you on land? XFEST!?!?!?!?

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
I'd look up the law yourself and have it printed out. Seems like he was incorrect?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, he's correct, just that even at stock height an XR wouldn't be at 16" to the bottom of the front bumper

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd look up the law yourself and have it printed out. Seems like he was incorrect?

x2 What does the law say? Get a lawyer to interpret it if you have to and see if you can find any case law.

How did he know the xrunner was lowered anyway? He probably thought it was like 4x4 height from the factory or something.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
266:9 Height of Motor Vehicle Body and Chassis. – No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 20 inches. No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, any vehicle other than a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 30 inches. Measurement shall be made from the level ground to the bottom of the bumper with tires inflated to manufacturer's maximum air pressure. If a vehicle is not commonly manufactured with a rear bumper, measurement shall be made to the bottom edge of the chassis frame siderails. No motor vehicle that has been changed or altered so as to exceed the limitations of this section shall be driven on any way without the prior approval of the director. For the purpose of this section, in addition to the definition contained in RSA 259:81, the term "private passenger vehicle'' shall mean a vehicle that has no provision for carrying a load other than a conventional trunk or the cargo area of a station wagon or similar type of vehicle.
Source. RSA 263:6-b. 1975, 176:1. 1979, 358:5, II. 1981, 146:1. 1985, 213:23. 1987, 404:14. 1994, 384:1, eff. June 9, 1994.

chatt x

Reaction score
How do they know you're not stock? Did they ask if your suspension has been altered?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and I don't lie well....that being said he didn't ticket me or issue a written warning.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
On second thought case law on something like this is probably non existent.

My suggestion is get tires that are 3in taller lol

chatt x

Reaction score
hopefully they were just bored with nothing else to do. I'd let it ride until they gave you grief again. If they do, bagged suspension would be a good solution. Maybe just the rear?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
hopefully they were just bored with nothing else to do. I'd let it ride until they gave you grief again. If they do, bagged suspension would be a good solution. Maybe just the rear?

I hope so but I frequent that sub shop and so do all the Staties....now that we've got the law out of the way...I was thinking about trying to have angled brackets made to relocate the bumper. Only problem there are the mounts at the bottom for the body kit and then the bumper would fall behind the gap in the front valence....

Rear is 16" to the center of the plastic step. And on the side it's more than 16".

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Did he pull you over specifically for that? Sounds like a trooper on a power trip to me.
Did he actually crawl on the ground and measure to the structural bumper.
Looks like stock i'm at 13" or 14" to the bottom of the structural bumper. I can't imagine there are many cars in stock form that even meet that criteria.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I hope so but I frequent that sub shop and so do all the Staties....now that we've got the law out of the way...I was thinking about trying to have angled brackets made to relocate the bumper. Only problem there are the mounts at the bottom for the body kit and then the bumper would fall behind the gap in the front valence....

Rear is 16" to the center of the plastic step. And on the side it's more than 16".

I would think that would alter the safety aspect of the bumper and not be legal either.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya he did crawl under. He was BSing with another Statie in the lot when I pulled in. Also pointed out my license plate, tinted tails, and "loud exhaust"

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/bumper-height/

Must just be your part of the country with those stupid laws. A lot of rules on maximum height, which makes sense, but very few on minimums.

Huh, MD doesnt have a lower limit, but they thought of people trying Matts trick:

'A bumper may not be modified or extended upward or downward to compensate for vehicle suspension or body alterations or modifications.'

autobodyX

Reaction score
You may have to change the title to a street rod or custom to get around this law. You may also be able to register it as a car instead of a truck. I had to do something like that with a elcamino I had.
Ask around at a cruise in or custom car show or the DMV office.
If they cite you your inspection mechanic will also get one for passing you. At least it works that way in NC.

gearhead899

Reaction score
thats crazy. they probly would have thrown me in jail :laugh: if I were you, I wouldnt worry about it. that law sounds like BS

Top Bottom