Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MT-90 in: Noticable difference.

Miami_X

Reaction score
Just changed the tranny fluid on my 2012 to Red Line MT-90, and I'm glad I did. The whole process took 90 minutes and it was time well spent.
The 1-2 shift under power is much less clunky and considerably smoother. No, it's not perfect yet, but it is much better. By the way, a hat tip to whoever posted about that $7.99 fluid pump from auto zone. It helped a lot.
Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• image-2904118139.jpg
    image-2904118139.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image-2153284549.jpg
    image-2153284549.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 200
  • image-3115900134.jpg
    image-3115900134.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 209

easts1d3

Reaction score
Good to hear! I might switch from amsoil to redline next tranny fluid change

A good way to fill the tranny is to pull the shifter out and fill it up there

Miami_X

Reaction score
Yeah, I could have pulled the shifter, but I didn't have any sealant for when I bolt it back on, so I went the fill-hole route.

Update 4/8/13: The X is shifting MUCH more smoothly a few days later. I recommend this fluid change for everyone. Just do it!!

roy365

Reaction score
Once you fill it is it "FULL", or do you have to row it through the gears and let it warm up to get it totally full?

Miami_X

Reaction score
Using the pump, fluid started coming back out of the fill hole at the end of the 2nd bottle. Capacity is supposed to be 1.9 Qts - so, that's what I found it to be.

I should have done this on the day I drove my new 2012 home last year - it's that much better! I don't know why Toyota doesn't ship its Tacomas with this stuff in the tranny.

Bang Bang

Reaction score
I just swapped my rear diff and trans to lucas 75-90w heavy duty limited slip a couple months ago. The rear end is fine but I noticed the trans started to get clunky and hard to go into gear. I assume its from the limited slip additive. I over looked the fact that it had this in it. I did a little research and I guess limited slip additive is no bueno for the trans. Hope it didnt hurt anything.Today I swapped out the trans with redline mt. I hope this solves the problem. I've only driven it about 20 miles so far. If things go smoothly I will procede with boost plans, if not there is probibly no point.

justin13703

Reaction score
I don't know why Toyota doesn't ship its Tacomas with this stuff in the tranny.

I don't know why Toyota doesn't ship it's Tacomas with a half decent transmission in the first place lol.

I replaced mine with mt90 about a year and a half ago. Honestly I never felt any difference, it still randomly has problems going into gear and wants to grind if you drive it hard. But I know it's better stuff than the factory fluid so I'll leave it in there.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
You don't have to pull the whole plate off on the shifter to add fluid. You just pop the shifter itself out of the housing and pour it in there.

triumphx

Reaction score
^ when pouring it through the shifter does it fill all the way up to a point to where you know when it's enough or do you have to just measure? I've hade mt-90 in my garage for about 3 months and need to do this

Click

Reaction score
Since you aren't underneath at the fill hole, you have to measure how much to put in if you fill through the shifter. Since you already know it 1.9 qts, put that amount in. If you fill it up until you can see oil, you have way overfilled it.

triumphx

Reaction score
That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure. Thx

JFrame

Reaction score
You don't have to pull the whole plate off on the shifter to add fluid. You just pop the shifter itself out of the housing and pour it in there.

Am I reading this right, you would pour the oil in here.

IMG_0388.jpg

Not in here. (The open area around the hole)

IMG_0390.jpg

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
^^^^ yup. Actually just changed mine again about a week ago. Dumped it right in there

Reaction score
Think I may do this as well. Also thinking about switching from Toyota synthetic blend to Royal Purple or Mobile 1 Full Synthetic for engine. Any recommendations?

justin13703

Reaction score
Think I may do this as well. Also thinking about switching from Toyota synthetic blend to Royal Purple or Mobile 1 Full Synthetic for engine. Any recommendations?

Mobil 1. Royal purple is way overpriced and tends to thin out a lot with mileage. Hopefully an oil war doesn't get started like always lol but Mobil 1 synthetic is good oil to use

Edgeman

Reaction score
Mobil 1. Royal purple is way overpriced and tends to thin out a lot with mileage. Hopefully an oil war doesn't get started like always lol but Mobil 1 synthetic is good oil to use

I've been using Mobile One for years in all of my engines. Why? For a synthetic, it's pretty darn cheap. I used to be able to buy a 5 quart jug at Walmart for $18. Heck, that's almost as cheap as dino-juice (and I keep a near dino-juice oil change schedule...lol)

I use Redline in my transmissions & diffs. Been very pleased with their performance!

boxerpicker

Reaction score
^ when pouring it through the shifter does it fill all the way up to a point to where you know when it's enough or do you have to just measure? I've hade mt-90 in my garage for about 3 months and need to do this

take the upper fill plug off and fill two quarts top of tranny then .1 quart would come out of the fill hole to make your fill bit more accurate

aao

Reaction score
Am I reading this right, you would pour the oil in here.

IMG_0388.jpg

Not in here. (The open area around the hole)

IMG_0390.jpg

How the heck do you get the shifter out of the housing? I tried doing it once and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Top Bottom