Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My custom Kicker 8" Ported box

J_StradaXR

Banned
Reaction score
so for the past weekends ive been working on my custom center console with a backfiring sub, its taking awhile because its fiberglass and mdf but ive missed bass so i had some extra mdf and i said what the heck im going to build a ported box for the sub. The sub is a kicker L7 8" yes 8". this little thing runs 450 rms! i didnt even upholster it since it was temporary so i just carpeted and once i plugged it on damn!!! i was impressed this little 8 inch sub in the ported downfiring box pounds:blurock: my buddy has a type r in his truck and we compared them with the same songs and it was just as loud and even louder, held its bass on some certain. so pretty much it held its bass with the majority of the songs from hip hop / alternative rock / country and we even did the bass testers song and kicker since day 1 has never let me down!
:adore:

here at work i got a sweet deal and i couldnt pass it up on this sub...

heres a crappy pic, rememeber its just temporary so i just cheap carpeted for now but heres the picture!

IMAG0893.jpg

images

Iggy08

Reaction score
That's awesome J_StradaXR! I really want bass, but I want to take up as little space as possible. Good to hear that an smaller sub can push well. I may have to look into something like this if I can't find a shallow mount to go under my passanger seat.

J_StradaXR

Banned
Reaction score
That's awesome J_StradaXR! I really want bass, but I want to take up as little space as possible. Good to hear that an smaller sub can push well. I may have to look into something like this if I can't find a shallow mount to go under my passanger seat.

you want a shallow mount under seat? theres not much room under there.
the smallest shallow mount i can think that we sell is this one right here but its pricy plus you have to build a box still i dont think even then it will fit
x13613TW53-f.jpeg

Iggy08

Reaction score
does anyone sale spacers for the seats or anything? I'd really perfer to put it under the seat. I don't care if it's not really audible outside the cabin as long as it sounds good inside.

J_StradaXR

Banned
Reaction score
have you ever seen this box, doesnt take up too much space and allows for you to get into your compartments

IMAG0415.jpg

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Hi Chuy-
Any shots of your set-up installed? :dontknow:

Iggy08

Reaction score
have you ever seen this box, doesnt take up too much space and allows for you to get into your compartments

If I can't do anything under the seat, I think I'll just do a little one like yours. It would look much nicer, I'd just make it so that I can move it easily

jboy671

Reaction score
8's are a nice size for overall bass (lows and mids).

To get them to play low, be loud, and still sound nice takes a really good port.

I have the tendency to prefer low tuned ports and because of that I had to scrap my two 8's idea and instead I'm doing a passive radiator setup.

Your box looks great. The felt (I think you used felt) to me looks awesome because I personally would rather replace felt than vinyl...maintenance is easier too with felt :top:

J_StradaXR

Banned
Reaction score
BSP06XRU said:
OK. I thought you were building a complete custom center console for your truck.

I am but I'm not done yet, so ill built this box in the meantime while I finish my center console.

jboy671 said:
8's are a nice size for overall bass (lows and mids).

To get them to play low, be loud, and still sound nice takes a really good port.

I have the tendency to prefer low tuned ports and because of that I had to scrap my two 8's idea and instead I'm doing a passive radiator setup.

Your box looks great. The felt (I think you used felt) to me looks awesome because I personally would rather replace felt than vinyl...maintenance is easier too with felt :top:

Yeah I was impressed when it hit the different bass notes with the variety of songs. I'm not too much of a bass head like I used to be back in HS I had 3 Memphis 10" in my corolla you could definately Here me down the street. I like this sound more now since I got over just bass. With my kappas I love my set up

Last edited:

Reaper13

Reaction score
I'm doing something similar in my 05 dcsb. I'm using a Kicker l3 10".

meanx

Reaction score
I got a single 12 in a small box with 1000 watt amp it sounds good but takes up a lot of my back seat ,about half I think 8 is good Thu especially for fast bass .in high school I had 2 behind my seat in a hardbody with a small mtx amp it hit hard enough for a noise violation ticket.

LSU-XRU

Reaction score
Sweet dude! You should look up a FLI ported and powered 10 inch box though.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
so for the past weekends ive been working on my custom center console with a backfiring sub, its taking awhile because its fiberglass and mdf but ive missed bass so i had some extra mdf and i said what the heck im going to build a ported box for the sub. The sub is a kicker L7 8" yes 8". this little thing runs 450 rms! i didnt even upholster it since it was temporary so i just carpeted and once i plugged it on damn!!! i was impressed this little 8 inch sub in the ported downfiring box pounds:blurock: my buddy has a type r in his truck and we compared them with the same songs and it was just as loud and even louder, held its bass on some certain. so pretty much it held its bass with the majority of the songs from hip hop / alternative rock / country and we even did the bass testers song and kicker since day 1 has never let me down!
:adore:

here at work i got a sweet deal and i couldnt pass it up on this sub...

heres a crappy pic, rememeber its just temporary so i just cheap carpeted for now but heres the picture!

IMAG0893.jpg

images

nice box but just a tip....point the port in the direction of the largest free space available. makes a big difference!

you want a shallow mount under seat? theres not much room under there.
the smallest shallow mount i can think that we sell is this one right here but its pricy plus you have to build a box still i dont think even then it will fit
x13613TW53-f.jpeg

have you compared that sub with the alpine R-Type slims?

Last edited:

Reaper13

Reaction score
Well, I've hit a roadblock in my build. No longer have a working drill nor access to a tablesaw. :/ might be a week before I can get it done.

Top Bottom