Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My Need For Speed

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the transmission before modification?

Those OS boys aren't afraid to mod to make things right, that's for sure!

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the transmission before modification?

Those OS boys aren't afraid to mod to make things right, that's for sure!

All the mod was is just the 4mm trim in the casing and the way they switched from pull to push it's the way they have the pivot points. Before was just a straight Y fork on a single pivot point which made a pull. I could have just switched the slave to the other side and made it a push that way but id have to tap and drill the holes.

OS Giken kept the original slave position and made a second pivot point with a solid bar going across it to act like a push clutch. A bit tricky to explain but if you look at the pic you should see what I mean. I don't have a picture of it because I had to dismantle the fork assembly in order to get the transmission off the first time

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Engine Drop in!

Closest thing i can get without a timelapse video haha! Anyways with the install i manage to break the very fragile plastic tube connected to my heater core….

Thats gonna be a bg job to replace but that will be for a later update once i do get the new plastic tube! Other then that it was time to start hooking the harness together below the intake plenum but the only issue with that was one plug was way to short so i had to extend the thing….

Sweet now that wasnt to big of a deal once i got it all tucked in nice and properly, so we can move on with the oil cooler hoses and the fuel lines under and beside the plenum as well

I had to leave on line disconnected for i can prime my oil pump. Until then the line stays as is but can surely mount the oil cooler itself!

That will stay as is until i get ready with the oil to fill up the cooler and the engine. Time to move on to the front of the engine with the pulleys. Here comes more headaches…

The new ATI damper i bought was not making my OEM pulley fit to well. The OEM pulley was to wide and just did not want to go whatsoever.

Figured it would be a good idea to trim it down in a lathe, that was not the best idea haha turned out like this

That lip that made the pulley to wide was what was holding the whole thing together. Great now im out a pulley! Later with some investigating there was suppose to be a aftermarket pulley supplied with this damper.

Next job the fuel pump. The headaches dont stop haha
My pump was soo much thinner then the OEM one that it would not fit in the original sleeve so had to go get fuel resistant gasket material to make up the space

With that solved came my second issue with this pump, normally a sock would fit on the end of it but because engineered this differently to make a frame to hold the pump instead and sock would not go to the bottom of the tank. Had to make shift a fitting to fit on it, now i can now fit the hose coming from the sock onto the pump. Once that was all good. shoved it back into the tank.

So with the many issue i ran into i had to take a break before i'd loose my mind, there's more to come i encoutered that i didn't show yet. They will be coming with more updates! Stay tuned

Last edited:

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Back at it again!

This other issues i encoutered are recirculating piping problems, no longer have a recirculating B.O.V so i had to plug off a couple of hole for the hard intake piping kit

Finished off my fuel pump since the cover was driving me insane last update

My new water pulley pump came in the mail and it now fits like a glove once a got another SHORTER belt than OEM since the ATI crank pulley made it an under drive from the oem crank pulley.

Brand new radiator to drop in!

Had to farbicate a new clutch hard line since the OEM one was kinked, that might explain why my clutch was stiff last summer…. haha

Then came the fun part (sarcastic here) the heater core has to come out because of that one broken plastic peice of tube! so out came the ENTIRE DASH.

Eventually i got it back in but man how time consuming that is. Not that its difficult but you'll easily kill a day with that job.

* * * * *​
So the next day came rolling around and it was now time to prep the car for its very first start up!! Don't have pmany pictures of this process but its pretty straight forward. Before we go this going i had to reset the throttle bodies for the new plenum

*PICTURE ERROR*

and then simply change out the coil packs for brand new aftermarket ones!

*PICTURE ERROR*

Now with that done, i didnt install the coil packs not even the sparkplugs themselves. Firstly I had to prime the engine full of oil. Simple and pre-filling the oil cooler and lines then filling up the engine. Cranked it over numerous amount of times and had to refill the oil once the oil made its way throughout the galleries. While we cranking it over just for curiousity we did a compression check.

The numbers came out were pretty interesting??

Cyl 1 - 120 PSI
Cyl 2 - 150 PSI
Cyl 3 - 135 PSI
Cyl 4 - 135 PSI
Cyl 5 - 145 PSI
Cyl 6 - 130 PSI

I didn't think of it much because the rings arent even started to seal up yet so we carried onto the start up. Starting it had me nervous just because it was a fresh rebuilt engine. It was cranking over fine and it took a couple of tries to get it running but after a couple hesitations she fired up right away! VROOOM!

Simply ran the engine up to temp leaving it around 2000RPM's~ for about 15 mins so it can break in the new cams. Everything went well, then came an oil change and it was a good day

**EDIT**
XRU DOESNT SEEM TO LET ME UPLOAD MY PICTURES :(

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just about to ask what happened to all of the pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That oil cooler is freaking HUGE!!!!

Have you retested the compression since start-up?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you did to extend the fuel pump though?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I compliment you. Your patience and diligence is quite admirable. :top:

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
I was just about to ask what happened to all of the pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That oil cooler is freaking HUGE!!!!

Have you retested the compression since start-up?

No I never did check it back again because I'm really nervous to see the numbers, in a sense I don't really wanna know if you know what i mean? haha

Really though it will be checked again when it goes to get dyno'd and tuned. I'll have to know then for nothing wonky goes on.

Not exactly sure what you did to extend the fuel pump though?

Of course you would ask haha, pretty much glued a 5/8 fitting over the inlet of the pump, of course had to make sure it was fuel resistant, not 100% sure about fuel soaked haha time will tell on that one

I compliment you. Your patience and diligence is quite admirable. :top:

Thanks! I do have another update i wanna put into this thread that I have going on at tacoma world, that thread is up to date but with XRU not letting me upload my pics I gotta figure things out with that. Makes things pretty dull when it's all text!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you happen to purchase that fuel "cork" looking material, which you used around your fuel pump?

Top Bottom