Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My other hobby

Xcandyman

Reaction score
Very nice tanks on here. I have a 54 corner that I have been running for 3-4 years now. Seems like every time I turn around I'm fighting something new though. Right now its hair algae, had a nitrate spike while I was out of town for a month. I had someone taking care of it, but they over fed BIG TIME. So I have had to tear it down and set up again multiple times over the past few years.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131017_180537.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131017_180537.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 131
  • ForumRunner_20131017_180620.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131017_180620.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 129

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Nice looking tank there. Seeing clownfish interact with anemones never gets old. I really need to get another anemone for my clowns.

dramad1

Reaction score
I received my first frags today, just some zoa's and a red monti, purp acro. Still exciting stocking my new tank. I have a firefish for the wife On order with a tail spot blenny to come a few weeks later. Also still waiting on a green fuzzy toadstool and Duncan to arrive from my first order, must have been outta stock.
Picked up a neo-therm 100w heater for the winter months ahead and plan to pick up an mp10- not sure if I should go wireless or not but Probibly will and an ato tunze or jbj next week from lfs. I also received an email from Dave @ nano box saying he will be shipping out my new led set up for full control by mid nxt week. Anyone interested in led lighting or custom set ups should check him out. He's legit and puts out a quality product. "Nano box" Dave Fason.
So..... I've been lagging on the x mods and getting back into the swing of things with my other hobby. :).

dramad1

Reaction score
These are photos from the seller, I got the same frags, better quality pic than my cellphone.
image-627302147.jpg

Attachments

• image-3438782462.jpg
    image-3438782462.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2778971152.jpg
    image-2778971152.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2217528571.jpg
    image-2217528571.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 131
  • image-290083586.jpg
    image-290083586.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3588686111.jpg
    image-3588686111.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image-521114322.jpg
    image-521114322.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3351506744.jpg
    image-3351506744.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 140
  • image-653155499.jpg
    image-653155499.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 129

Rez146

Reaction score
nice frags.are you getting them from a local vender or a website? my 90 Gal been running for about a year right now and i have to change my T5 bulbs just not sure with which name brand there is so many out there. any advise?

dramad1

Reaction score
Yeah I get them from a guy up the coast from me in Santa Cruz. The guy has some top quality corals and he packs them extremely well. Great prices as well. Here's his face book page, you can hit him up, he ships 35$ flat rate to most of USA and $40 to the east coast.
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.st...10151915023853006.1073741826.811678005&type=1
As far as lighting goes, I'm on the medal halide and led craze. I may run the triple threat soon as I've been thinking of getting a 75 or 90. What kind of fixture do you have? If you want a bad ass led light with full control, morning, evening, clouds, storm simulation, night etc etc and got the money I'd check out "nano box.com". He does custom lighting for reefs and fish only tanks. He can mix LEDs with mh and t5's. he makes all different sizes and can do custom sizes/set ups mixed lighting etc, also can install upgraded lighting into your current hood, contact Dave Fason if interested.
If you don't want to go that route then I'd look on amazon prime for any deals tht may pop up for your lighting. Are you running actinics or different shades of white and blue? A good source for info would be the reef forums and you may even be able to find a cool vendor that offers up a discount promo if you purchase xxxx amount of money or holiday deals.

Rez146

Reaction score
i currently have a Aquatinic TX5 fixture.. i am thinking of upgrading to leds not sure atm i am having awesome results from the corals with my T5s. i am running atm 3 actinic bulbs and 2 whites. thinking of getting new ATI bulbs around $30-40 a bulb

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
A good t5 fixture with the right bulb combo is hard to beat. If you're having good results, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to switch. A change now is just another, usually large, cost that you can't guarantee good results from. Don't get me wrong, I love my LEDs, but there kind of in the stage now where people are still figureing out what is working and what is not and the fixtures are evolving so fast to the "newest" reef combo of leds to get optimal light spectrum and spread for growth and coloration.

From experience any LED fixture that utilizes just whites and royal blues is a thing of the past and not what you want to get. I actually added T5 supplemental lighting to my AI sol blues so that I could get better coloration from my corals. I'm wanting to upgrade my sols, but they keep coming out with new lighting options every 6 months, I don't want to drop $800 to upgrade and STILL not be 100% satisfied with the results.

dramad1

Reaction score
A good t5 fixture with the right bulb combo is hard to beat. If you're having good results, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to switch. A change now is just another, usually large, cost that you can't guarantee good results from. Don't get me wrong, I love my LEDs, but there kind of in the stage now where people are still figureing out what is working and what is not and the fixtures are evolving so fast to the "newest" reef combo of leds to get optimal light spectrum and spread for growth and coloration.

From experience any LED fixture that utilizes just whites and royal blues is a thing of the past and not what you want to get. I actually added T5 supplemental lighting to my AI sol blues so that I could get better coloration from my corals. I'm wanting to upgrade my sols, but they keep coming out with new lighting options every 6 months, I don't want to drop $800 to upgrade and STILL not be 100% satisfied with the results.

What he said^^ very true about the newer and newer lighting systems coming out. Before swapping to a new light set up, maybe try swapping in other color bulbs like the ati blue+ x2 with 1x ati aqua blue, ati pro color, Aquablue special 12,000k, Ati actinic blue, Fiji purple etc etc. the options are many. You just have to find what you like and works for your corals. It can become pricey buying bulbs every 9 months or so but that's the price you gotta pay.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Reef central is a bitch to wade through some time, but there is a very good, and LLLLOOONNNNGGGGG thread about t5 combos.

dramad1

Reaction score
I ordered my mp10 this past weekend and expect it to arrive tomorrow. I also plan to pick up a ro/di set up for the house this coming weekend, so I don't have to make 3 trips a week to the water store. Still am unsure which one to get. I'm thinking 50-75 gal a day should be more than enough.
And since I have the tank fever again, I plan to pick up a 5-10gal tank for my bed room. Possibly a frag tank or softy/lps mini reef. Still undecided. I may go up to 20gal. No sump, no skimmer, strictly water changes every week. I do not plan to dose either. Hmmm. I need to get back to modding the x as the tanks are taking all my money.

dramad1

Reaction score
Awe yeah, mp10 showed up, currently set to reef crest at about 75-80%. Looking for setting suggestions other than reef crest for a mixed reef. Pics

Attachments

• image-2934947767.jpg
    image-2934947767.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2139533371.jpg
    image-2139533371.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 120

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the wave maker and see if you can get one big enough to splash out of your tank!

dramad1

Reaction score
Use the wave maker and see if you can get one big enough to splash out of your tank!

I tried it for five minutes and it was knocking over my frags, then it almost splashed half the water outta my tank. I put it back to reef crest for now. This pump is amazing at how fast it can generate a wave. I set it to night mode last night before I went to bed.

Rez146

Reaction score
been looking to upgrade my powerheads currently have 2 koralia 1050. i been looking at those jabao wp25 my buddy has 2 in his 125gal and it makes good waves in his tank. what do you guys suggest for a 90gal

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I have seen the jabao in action, and they have some serious power behind them. Plus the price is just hard to beat. It would be interesting to see how they hold up long term.
I would say start with a couple of those in the 90. I think they are also coming out, or maybe it already is out, the WP10. That might be another one to look into if you think the 25 would be too much.

dramad1

Reaction score
I have seen the jabao in action, and they have some serious power behind them. Plus the price is just hard to beat. It would be interesting to see how they hold up long term.
I would say start with a couple of those in the 90. I think they are also coming out, or maybe it already is out, the WP10. That might be another one to look into if you think the 25 would be too much.

Wp10's not out yet.

I've heard good thing about the 25's but don't know anyone that has had one long term. I wonder how they will hold up as well. I have heard and know a few people that have had to replace the bearings on there mp10 and 40's with in a year of owning, so for the half the price the jabao's are compared to the vortech's I'd say they are worth a try. Plus you save some money.

I just bought the mp10 cause I have always wanted one but never wanted to spend the money for one. I said f it and bought it, it has replaced my hydor 425's and has lowered my tank temp by 2 degrees already. If you got the money I'd say you can't go wrong w/ a pair of mp10's or maybe one 40. They have plenty of power. There are a couple for sale on nano reef forum right now. Barely used, 4 months old. Slightly lower in price than a new one. IMO just buy it new, just to eliminate any possibilitys of it not being up to par.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I run 3 MP40s on my tank. I love them and they have been problem free for a couple years now. I have considered getting a jabao just so i can aim it around and hit some dead spots.

dramad1

Reaction score
Wp10's are now out. Still waiting for a review before I pick one up.

I received my new light but he forgot to include the power supply for the leds, still waiting on power supply- its been almost two months now.

Fts of my bq29 and a pic of my new 4.3 micro reef pico. 10x10x10 aio acrylic. It came out sweet.

I need to find a gnome skimmer ASAP. They have been Mia on there site for a few months now. Pico stopped making the pico skimmers as well. I may go with a mame skimmer if I can find one. Also waiting for mike at micro reefs to make me a media basket.

Top Bottom