Need help in removing crankshaft pulley bolt

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by Wizard, May 23, 2017.

1. Wizard

Wizard Member

After 3 days of struggling, it's time to ask for help.

I'm in the process of installing a TRD supercharger and I need to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.

The TRD instructions say to hit the bolt with an impact gun to remove it like it's a piece of cake. I have a 500 ft lb and a 850 ft lb impact gun and neither will break the bolt free. I guess my tank isn't beefy enough? It's a 30 gallon Husky but the gauge only goes up to 200 lbs and the air kicks off at 150lb.

For the heck of it, I tried using sixth gear and a 3 foot cheater bar, bolt won't budge but pulley rotates a little bit which concerns me. No luck.

I called toyota service solutions to order the SST tools needed. I have 09330-00021 but need 09213-54015. It's back ordered until June 16th.

So I'm at the point where I'm going to build my own tool like I've seen here before. The tool will help me break that bastard bolt free and be able to torque it to spec once I'm done. The tool is basically a thick piece of metal with a big hole in it to clear the main crankshaft bolt, and two holes for smaller bolts to thread into the pulley. Does anyone know the center to center distance between the two smaller holes?

Thanks guys.

#1 Wizard, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

put a breaker bar on it and rest it on the frame rail and use the starter to crack it free

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  3. Wizard

Wizard Member

Unfortunately it's too late for that . The truck is torn apart at the moment. I just finished installing cam gears for the UCON. TRD should have listed this as step 1 (or I should have read the instructions more than once before starting)

4. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

i used a chain wrench on mine worked fine maybe try to get one if you can. upload_2017-5-23_13-19-1.jpeg

5. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I've heard of guys using a 3-4' pipe on a breaker bar......I installed the crank pulley a couple weeks before doing the S/C install. We used the starter trick.

6. Wizard

Wizard Member

Maybe I should just go for the starter trick anyway. All I need it to do is crank for a split second.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions thus far.

7. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Just be sure that the breaker bar is secure, and which way the crank is going to turn. Wouldn't want to over-tighten and break the bolt off.

8. whippersnapper02

I used the starter trick. It worked like a charm. I forgot which direction the engine spins but I believe it's counterclockwise. Don't quote me on it.

#8 whippersnapper02, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. Wizard

Wizard Member

Just to provide an update. I was able to break the bolt free with a cordless Milwaukee torque wrench with 1,100 ft lbs of nut busting power. Took a minute to break it free, but it finally came loose.

10. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Good to hear......now hurry up and post a vid of the truck whining.