Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Ecu possibility. Have tech question

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright. So I recently found that the Haltech Sport series are, in most cases, not compatible with our trucks. The same for any other "drive by wire" setup. Someone had mentioned it might be the case in my thread, so I had to investigate.

After some research today, I came across a company that makes two levels of ECUs that are hopefully compatible with our truck. They already use them for the Scion tC with a plug n play harness, and are pretty confident, with a brief look, that they have/can make a plug n play harness for our trucks. At least '05-until connnectors changed.

What they asked of me is this: "What is the timing pattern of the motor?" Basically the teeth on the crank cog that the crank sensor reads, and I assume the teeth on the intake cam, or something related. That is what we need to find out.

I know that with an oscilliscope you can find it. Just not sure where to take the reading. With a square wave you would just count the number of square waves before a long flat spot. If any one else can help out with which ever method, and I know there are some Toyota gurus on here that can find out almost anything, it would be very much appreciated. :top:

This will not only help me, but the whole community.

Slay0r

Reaction score
YUP, you're to techinical for me mark. but yeh this was a road block when i was looking into the Haltech unit as well. Finding some of this information out would be very valuable to the ppl that are going a different route with tuning.

GL

Toon714

Reaction score
nooo.... they need to make a plug and play harness for '10 too!!!!!!

darthyota

Reaction score
im sure the haltech can still be used but it would have to be done almost like a piggy back but still let the factory ecu control the throttle but let the haltech control everything else

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
This ECU is a very nice system. Capable of everything I need and way more. Some of the good points are that it has the ability to adgust cam timing, but as they said,"they factory does a really good job at making it as efficient as possible, and we like to leave it alone." That will be good news to some specific readers.

It has features to do E85 enrichment as well. So basically when you are driving and you fill up, it once tuned for it, it will adjust to the amount of ethanol in the fuel. SO if you decide to run to the track and run E85, it will adjust to that, as well as back, when you go back to the unleaded of your choice. That is just one nifty feature it has that I thought I would mention.

im sure the haltech can still be used but it would have to be done almost like a piggy back but still let the factory ecu control the throttle but let the haltech control everything else

You are correct. The tech at another performance shop that I talked to said that in doing so, they are sure what kind of issues that would bring up, though. So with what he said and the searches that I looked up on Haltech's forum, with the responses from the Haltech staff, I decided I didn't want to pay $1700+ for an ecu to "find out".

Thus he recommended three other that do work with throttle by wire, to prevent issues. ViPec, MoTech, and Pro EFI.

Pro EFI is who I decided to talk to.

Last edited:

Slay0r

Reaction score
yeh, i posted some questions in that forum as well, but given that the members arent experts on the 1gr, it wasnt too too benificial.

Then again, i was probably asking all of the wrong questions anyway

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just had to search the right question. :top: lol

Toon714

Reaction score
man hopefully this ecu does work for our truck. the price on its not that bad compare to the haltech ps 2000.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check this. Pretty damn cool I'd say:

The Debut of Paul Majors ProEFI equipped Outlaw Drag Radial Corvette at the Yellow Bullet Nationals in Cecil County Maryland was a success.

"The best 1/8th mile pass of the weekend was a 4.65@170.8mph, and there was alot wrong with that pass. There is a lot more in the car, but we have to walk up on it. The whole car is new, and on drag radials everything is so critical on power delivery. From the instant that you launch the car, all the way down the track. We got back to where we were before the crash VERY quickly, and with the ProEFI, we are making huge strides in making the car consistant, and consitantly quicker every pass." - Job Spetter

"This Engine Management System has given us the ability to do things that we could only dream of in the past. We will be taking our performance to a new level this season with the help of ProEFI."
- Paul Major

CONGRATULATIONS!!! to Paul Major and Crew on Becoming the WORLDS FASTEST Outlaw Drag Radial Car, at
THE SHAKEDOWN AT E'TOWN.

2010_08_15-16_1_.jpg

ProEFI congratulates John Shepherd on his Win in EVO Eliminator at the DSM shootout. His street driven EVO8 maintaines a full interior, a/c and all of the factory accessories.

"The car ran perfectly all weekend, consistant
9.6's@147mph, which is pretty impressive considering all of the tuning was a few emails back and forth with Jason at ProEFI. The flex fuel feature is so nice! I can run the car full tilt nearly all the time, and not have to worry about octane. If I need gas and can't get E85, I can still put pump gas in the car and the computer will make the appropriate adjustments, no need to hook up the laptop or anything....just simple! I can't wait to get the race car to the track on this system." ......John Shepherd

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Found the timing pattern for the crank. 36 minus 2. Must need to take a pic of the intake cam gear now, and send it to them. After talking with Pro EFI again, they said they are now 99% sure that this will work. There are also two shops here in Houston that can tune it. Powerfab and Secret Service. This seems to be coming together well.

Also to note, they two models they have are the Pro 128 and the Pro 48. The 48 is about half the price of the 128, and they said it would work as well, but just with a much fewer number of abilities.

Last edited:

Toon714

Reaction score
Hell ya bro!!!! Looks like ima aim at the pro efi ecu! Come on let tgis work for our truck. Im ready to slap 5gs on my next mods!

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
it looks like the Pro48 can only control 4 injectors, or am I reading that wrong?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't say it on their site, but they tell you if you talk with them. Full sequential tuning on 4 cylinders. Semi sequential on 6 cylinders. Not exactly sure what that difference is between full and semi though.

X-roller

Reaction score
It doesn't say it on their site, but they tell you if you talk with them. Full sequential tuning on 4 cylinders. Semi sequential on 6 cylinders. Not exactly sure what that difference is between full and semi though.

If I remember correctly my buddy has an evo and was talking to me about this.... It think it's in regards to the injectors.... I think full sequential would be a form of being able to control all injectors individually compared to semi sequential where it would only be able to control a minimal of two or more injectors at a time..... A full sequential means you can dial in each injector while the semi you have to dial in a pair of injectors or more..... :top: I think.... I am not 100 percent positive....

That's takes exact timing to precise timing......

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Definition of the two terms:

"
Sequential Fuel Injection - Sequential means that each injector for each cylinder is triggered only one time during the engine's cycle. Typically the injector is triggered only during the intake stroke. True sequential injection requires the ECU to know not only where top dead center is, but also which half of the cycle the engine is on. TDC on a 4 stroke occurs 2 times during the cycle, once on compression and once on exhaust. MoTeC references all timing events that occurs within the ECU, to Top Dead Center Compression. This generally requires an input on the engine's camshaft to provide the ECU with a SYNC signal. Once the ECU is synched, injection timing can be optimized to provide the most efficient mixing of fuel and air into the cylinder. Control of injection timing can lead to increases in midrange torque while decreasing emissions and fuel consumption. Semi-Sequential Fuel Injection - Semi-Sequential means that 2 or more cylinder's injectors are triggered at the same time, but only 1 time during the engine's cycle. This requires the ECU to be synched with the engine's cycle. Typically injection timing is retarded from the optimum timing point for full sequential by an angle which is equal to 1/2 the angle between 2 cylinders in crankshaft degrees. Semi-sequential allows optimization of injection timing which typically leads to increases in midrange torque and a reduction in fuel consumption for equivalent power compared which Batch fire. "

Quoted from MoTech.

rexrunner

Reaction score
(a) Camshaft position sensor
(b) Crankshaft position sensor

ECM Terminal Names
(a) Between G2+ and NE-
(b) Between NE+ and NETester

Ranges 5 V/DIV, 20 msec./DIV

HINT:
The wavelength becomes shorter as the engine rpm
increases.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/006006.pdf

half way down

or bottom half, count teeth, the picture is accurate

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/00700610.pdf

or top half also

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/007005.pdf

good luck man. what about just ditching the stock dbw setup? so simple?

Murderface

Reaction score
That's pretty sweet that u don't need to retune when going from gas to E85 and then back to gas:rock: I wish the X-1 had the ability to do the same thing because I don't carry my laptop with me in my truck all the time and last time I went from E86 to gas, I had the thumbdrive loaded with a gas tune but I couldn't get it to load and had to baby the truck back to my house so I could load the X-1 with a gas map using my laptop.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
(a) Camshaft position sensor
(b) Crankshaft position sensor

ECM Terminal Names
(a) Between G2+ and NE-
(b) Between NE+ and NETester

Ranges 5 V/DIV, 20 msec./DIV

HINT:
The wavelength becomes shorter as the engine rpm
increases.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/006006.pdf

half way down

or bottom half, count teeth, the picture is accurate

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/00700610.pdf

or top half also

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/007005.pdf

good luck man. what about just ditching the stock dbw setup? so simple?

Awesome info. Thanks man!

Also, wanted to add this. Shows that the Pro 48 can work on a V6 as well.

Infiniti G35 Dyno Results - Pro48 ECU

Dyno results from the Powerlab G35 Wide body

This Dyno is from the PowerLab wide body G35 6spd. Turbo was PowerLab stage 5 turbo kit, stock ignition stock sleeves, pistons, rods, and cams. Here is the VIDEO of the car at the track with Powerlabs Stage 2 Street kit (Gt37r) Nissan 350Z Dyno Results - Pro48 ECU

Dyno results from a Turbonetics turbo kit.

This Dyno is from a stock 350Z with a Turbonetics kit. This dyno is the results from a change to the ProEFI ECU ONLY! No additional boost was made.

That's pretty sweet that u don't need to retune when going from gas to E85 and then back to gas:rock: I wish the X-1 had the ability to do the same thing because I don't carry my laptop with me in my truck all the time and last time I went from E86 to gas, I had the thumbdrive loaded with a gas tune but I couldn't get it to load and had to baby the truck back to my house so I could load the X-1 with a gas map using my laptop.

Yes. It is extememly awesome.

I really hope this pans out. :biggrin:

dbw setup?

"Drive by wire"

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So just got off of the phone with them. Got a green light. HELL YEAH!!!

So when my plug n play harness arrives, I am going to ship it to them so that they can wire it up to the ecu.

As a side not, for those that aren't worried about the extra features of the Pro 128, the 48 will work fine. So that shaves about 1 G.

For the 05-08 models, they can make a plug n play harness as well. Not quite sure about the 9+.

This is the answer right here, and i am extrememly excited.

Top Bottom