Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Take Out 3rd member / Carrier w/ 3.31 Ring & Pinion gear

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new or was new 3,624 miles ago Toyota 3rd Member / Carrier w/ 3.31 ring & pinion gears in it.

The stock X-runner has a 3.15 ring & pinion gears. In 2013 I bought a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab and installed 1.6" taller tires so I went with a new from Toyota 3rd member. This was in my truck for 3,624 miles before being changed out. God damn the change cost me over $1,100 and it was worth every penny. This one change help the truck more then any other mod done!

I'm only asking $300 for it plus shipping from AZ 85203. It's not big just a bit heavy @ 80lbs. I just want it out of the garage because I have kick it for the last time setting on the floor by the entry door from the garage. (want to make sure it didn't get wet)

This is the cheapest HP you can buy for an X-runner. Toyota's are over geared from the factory anyway. I talked to an engineer from Toyota. He told me Toyota does NOT gear the Tacoma's for fuel economy or performance but for EMISSIONS! Yes, Emissions the slower the motor is turning the less emissions the motor is putting out. Per the engineer from Toyota.

I'm 100% dead serious our trucks are geared for Emissions not for performance as you would hope. Sorry I don't own an X-runner because I was told by 4 different Toyota dealers Toyota stop selling the X-runner. I now know that is a lie. I was able to get a Tacoma with a stick sad part is it's a 5 spd. not a 6 spd. My venting is now complete. lol

Sorry uploads of photos keep failing. I was only able to get one very bad photo to upload. They posted every where else I posted. :dontknow:

Please contact me by email or text as I don't know when someone post here.
email @; hayrandyl@cox.net
text @; 480-4one5-47five5

Thanks for looking,
Randy

IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited:

LifeAlert

Reaction score
If you can guarantee this will fit my 05 xrunner I will buy it in a heart beat, my only worry is if there us a change from the old style x to the new style

autobodyX

Reaction score
If you can guarantee this will fit my 05 xrunner I will buy it in a heart beat, my only worry is if there us a change from the old style x to the new style

The rear end parts are the same, diff in picture is a open one, you need only to swap the ring gear from it to the one on your locker then install your locker in new unit.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
I'm 101% sure it will bolt right into any X-runner! This same 3rd member fits all below.

Vehicle Application:

1993-1998 Toyota T100 Pickup
2000-2006 Toyota Tundra Pickup
2001-2007 Toyota Sequoia
1995-2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (Not for use on TRD Models)
1995-2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner
2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

What I was shocked to hear that this same 3rd member in my gutless 2.7L with a stick was used in a 1st Gen. V8 Tundra & Sequoia. This must be stout rear end.

*Note* I got an email from potential buyer in PA and my cost thru FedEx home service was $72 and change. So from AZ to PA the shipping is $72. I hope this helps anyone interested!

Now someone buy this from me so I can move on. Oh I can send better photos to an email. Sorry I don't know why I can't UPLOAD any other photos. If you like to check me out I'm " HAYRANDY" on eBay.

Thanks,
Randy

Toyota 3rd members come with many different ring & pinion gear ratios start with 3.15, 3.31, 3.58, 3.73, 3.90 & 4.10 the after market has many more for big tire 4x4's.
I also have a 4.10 long story how I bought this one if you want a to build a drag racer it's the ring & pinion you want. I had this one in for 9,700 miles talk about moving out of the hole. I could idle the motor and just slip my foot off the clutch without touching the gas and the truck would move. I have a 3.58 in now but I will be going to either 3.73 or the 3.90 at a later date. Only 4 tries to get it where I like it. God I wish I could have got a V6 Taco with a stick!

Last edited:

cjist1

Reaction score
This is Chris, just sent you the money via Paypal.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Just courious but the 3.31 is the same size third member as the x. Correct? So can't fit bigger gears in their right?

cjist1

Reaction score
I guess I will find out. I didn't put much research into this. Im getting a Detroit Trutrac and figured it would be nice to get everything set up for a quick seap.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
SOLD! :biggrin:

Chris,
Yes you did and it should be shipping out Monday on it's way to PA. Please let us know what you think after it's installed.

I may also have a 3.58 3rd member for sale in about a mo. or so.

I do have a 4.10 3rd member for sale but it's much more desirable with the 4.10 gears! I should be able to get $750 for it plus shipping. The 4.10 has 9,695 miles on it. Because Pre-runner & 4x4's have a 3.73 gears stock.

Can I ask one question? What's the RPM of a X-runner with stock size tires @ 75 mph in 6th?

Thanks so much Chris!
Randy

Reaction score
And yes Toyota 3rds coming in different sizes I believe the 3.58 and smaller are the same carrier and then 3.73 and up uses a different carrier

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
So with stock everything 75mph = 2495rpm
with stock tires and 4.10s 75mph = 3248rpm

Hmm,
Is the final ratio on the 6 speed manual & 5 speed manual different?
4th is one to one with the 5 speed.

With my 28.5" tall tires and a 3.58 gear, @ 75 the gutless 2.7L is turning 2530 rpm and it's really lugging @ 55 the rpm's are 1850.

Last edited:

cjist1

Reaction score
Yep. Thanks. Good packaging. I ordered a Detroit Trutrac from East Coast Gear to install in this. I hope to have it all in soon. Do you buy a new gasket each time, or just use some type of RTV?

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
I would clean off the old gasket and buy a new one from Toyota. You don't want a leaky Toyota. Otherwise you could have bought a GM. The new gasket from Toyota needs to be soaked in water before it's installed. Ask me how I know? :banghead:

AZ

Top Bottom