Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No Gauge Cluster Lights...

Imprezz

Reaction score
Well yesterday I installed a Pioneer double din head unit into my truck and everything seemed to work fine. I get into the truck this morning and when I turn on the headlights I have no gauge cluster lights. No tach, no speedometer, and no fuel level or temp. I haven't done any trouble shooting since I'm at work but I'm thinking maybe its a fuse ?:hmmmm2: Maybe not because the cluster turns on when the lights are off.

Update: I hooked up the 2 orange wires which I believe are not supposed to be connected. Hopefully I didn't fry my dimmer switch...

Last edited:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
This is te reason you go to best buy or audio store and just buy the wiring harness for a mix of $15..... Saves a world of headaches.....

Hope all works out for ya bro and its simple... Congrats on the DD pioneer makes great stuff, I love mine...

dramad1

Reaction score
Have you checked your dimmer knob. Just a thought. It has happend to me before. I had the knob dimmed down all the way.

Imprezz

Reaction score
I got the whole kit from crutchfield with wiring harness so its done right. Yes I did check the dimmer and moved it up and down to get nothing. I'm gonna check that orange cable because I was reading something about those 2 being different polarities :hmmmm2:

IronMan

Reaction score
I got the whole kit from crutchfield with wiring harness so its done right. Yes I did check the dimmer and moved it up and down to get nothing. I'm gonna check that orange cable because I was reading something about those 2 being different polarities :hmmmm2:

Yes, there is an orange/black and an orange/white. You want to connect the dimmer wire to the orange/white on the harness. most likely you only blew a fuse.

justin13703

Reaction score
You popped your illumination fuse. Unhook all the orange wires. There should be one orange wire on the radio harness. There will be two or three orange wires on the vehicle harness. They should be labelled illumination, dimmer, and dimmer ground. You want to hook up the one labeled ILLUMINATION to the orange wire on the radio harness. It is usually orange with a white stripe or solid orange. Cap off any other orange wires. Oh and then replace your fuse and try it again

Imprezz

Reaction score
OK thanks for the info I'll try it once I get home

Update: all I found was a DIM relay so I'm going to change that...

Last edited:

Imprezz

Reaction score
So its not a relay and I can't find which fuse it is... can anyone point me in the right direction?

justin13703

Reaction score
So its not a relay and I can't find which fuse it is... can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm on my phone right now but the quickest way to do it will just be to pull every one and check them. It only takes a couple minutes. Check all of them under the dash and if it's not in there check them all under the hood. It's not a relay. It will be a fuse

Imprezz

Reaction score
OK I'll have to get to it on Sunday. I'll let u guys know how it goes. Thx for the help

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
IThat Sucks, Could Have Drove Up Here Yesterday Id Have Done It, On The Third Deck In My Truck Now, Actually Did A Complete Stereo Install Yesterday For A Buddy Too!!!

Imprezz

Reaction score
Yup, checked all the fuses and found nothing so I guess its off to the stealership this weekend...:frown:

Imprezz

Reaction score
Yeah I'm here now waiting to see what they say... it was 90 bucks just to do a diagnostic. Grrrr there goes a partial mod amount :argh:

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah I'm here now waiting to see what they say... it was 90 bucks just to do a diagnostic. Grrrr there goes a partial mod amount :argh:

I'm interested to see what it is if it wasn't a fuse. Keep us updated

Imprezz

Reaction score
It turned out to be the dimmer switch which is what I figured it would be in the first place. Its 140 bucks but the tech told me I didn't really need it so he just unplugged it and all the gauge lights work fine. The problem is that now the a/c controls, window switch, and fog light switch don't light up... I plan on looking for it on eBay off a salvaged truck so its cheaper but I'll wait a bit on that

justin13703

Reaction score
I used to be an installer and I've heard of dimmer switches getting fried by incorrectly hooking up the orange wires on an aftermarket radio. I'd definitely be gettin that switch online or from a junkyard. 140 dollars for that little plastic dimmer switch is retarded. Probably costs them a dollar to manufacture.

Top Bottom