OEM and AfterMarket Fuel Pressure Regulator thread

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by butters607, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Man that looks good. Where r u getting your vacumm source from?

2. butters607

butters607 Active Member

I tried to get a sticky for the one I started didn't happen for whatever reason

3. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Intake manifold. You must first set the pressure with the gauge, and no vacuum source attached. Once you have the FPR set to the factory fuel pressure, then you attach the vacuum line.

4. Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Member

Is it better to have the fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay for tuning? I would rather have the gauge in the cab. I assume once you set the fpr it shouldn't need any more adjustment unless doing work on the fuel system again?

Since I have the X1 would it make more sense to upgrade my injectors or get an aftermarket FPR and stick with the trd 425 injectors? I don't know what my injector duty cycless are but how much relief on the injectors will the aftermarket fpr with vacuum source give - 5%?

5. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Toon nor I have a fuel pressure gauge. The ProEFI EMS monitors the fuel pressure from the side port as in my picture.

Since we don't have fuel pressure gauges, we used the little pressure gauge, which Toon posted in his pics earlier, is what we used to set the fuel pressure, back to factory.

You are correct, once you have it set to where you need it, you really don't need to adjust it any more.

Having a gauge in cab is for safety purposes. For most low boost applications that are only using one pump, it isn't all that necessary. However, you cannot replace the knowledge of what is going on. Just like an AFR gauge or boost gauge.

If you were running a dual pump setup, you would be to seriously consider at least a gauge, and or something in your tuning device that monitors it as well.

6. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Heres another....Its the Aeromotive FPR and fuel filter on SouthernmostXr truck.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you Whitebeauy, but the main reason that I would like Amo-cat3 to take the picture is because he is using the factory FPR. And the routing of hose to that with the trd s/c. That way we will be able to clearly illustrate for future descriptions of "How To."

8. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

ok..i just remebered that i had this pic so i just threw it up right quik

9. Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Member

Haven't done it yet, should have the vacuum line mod to stock FPR set up next week. Going to finally wire in my A/F wideband, MAP sensor, and vacuum line mod all at the same time.

Will take pics and post on how I do it. I was going to do the full aftermarket FPR set-up, but have been reading up on other engine performance sites and it seems that adding a vacuum source to the stock FPR will suffice for my setup for now. Does the stock FPR have any hp limits?

#29 Amo-cat3, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. Bulldogger

Bulldogger New Member

You have to be careful using adjustable FPR, if you have no way to adjust the ECM for fueling, like on 2009+ trucks. By turning up the fuel pressure you may achieve perfect ARF at WOT but then it can run to rich at idle and non wot conditions.

11. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Correct. That is why it is extremely important to set the base fuel pressure, with out a vacuum line attached to the aftermarket FPR, first. Doing so with a gauge. Otherwise, you fuel pressure could be somewhere it isn't supposed to be.

12. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Alright, here is the picture of how to run the vacuum line, when doing the OEM FPR MOD.

[​IMG]

Thank you dpartinvr4 for the picture. :top:

If you also have a boost gauge, you Tee into that line for the boost gauge.

Here is a link to our vendor DEZOD who also carries fuel pressure regulators, and fuel rail adapters.

http://www.dezod.com/pd-aem-fuel-pressure-regulator-universal.cfm

Support our vendors, and give Paul at Dezod a call if you have more indepth questions. :top:

13. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Had mine set up like the above for XFest......surprised no one noticed it. All I did was plug my intake nipple, reroute the hose over to the boost port and attach it with a T fitting.

14. ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever New Member

Alright so after reading this forum like 10 times ive still got a question, does the line to the regulator go from:

Return line -> Regulator -> Fuel Rail Adapter Piece

From Toons picture thats what it look like to me? Its that simple Right? lol

15. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Take the line that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake, take it off the intake and put it on the boost port on the blower

16. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

I did this and Allan said to take it off and put it back.

17. ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever New Member

Yes that's a for sure, was making sure if that's the way to regulator was hooked up though, Dezod got me so mixed up when I emailed them about this. It all makes waayy better sense now :top:

18. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Well good for u Marc!

19. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you elaborate as to why he said that?

20. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

He said it should be at ambient pressure not a vacuum. For me as an example. When im under boost it will make the fpr think im a mile below sea level when im really at sea level...