OFFICIAL: Rear Fender Flare Paint Issue

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by Stevenredx, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TRDrunner07

TRDrunner07 New Member

mine started to chip! i cant upload any pictures just yet but mine is an 07 with 30K miles

2. boost10

boost10 Member

mine is the same as most sbp on this thread ...2008 40k

3. xrunner4.0

xrunner4.0 New Member

I can't believe Toyota gets away with this bullshit...my truck doesn't have 5k miles yet and I can already see both back flares starting to chip at the very bottom. I wonder if I can get the dealer to repaint under warranty?

4. nutt14

nutt14 Member

holy crap i thought it was just me having this problem, i will post pics of mine soon. I have a 2008 SWB with 13k miles on it and thos rear fenders are just eye soars for me ><

5. JiNsEiGaNaI

JiNsEiGaNaI Active Member

mine chipping too, ill try to get pics, 08 BSP, purchse date is unknown cuz i bought it used, 23K miles

6. gearhead899

gearhead899 Active Member

same here! also a 2011 black xr with only 5k miles. i too can also see chips already... its BS!

7. XBlue

XBlue New Member

I have 2 xrunners so far first one was a 05 RR with 51,000 and my current x is a 07 SWB with 42,000. Both of them had the same issue, i used to work for toyota and there was never any service bullentins. I will post pics soon!!!

8. toyota06

toyota06 New Member

photos to come i think mine would be the worst

9. X_Less

X_Less Member

07 RR with 53K miles... Has these chips too... Not going to bother with pictures since this thread was made in 07 and nothing got done.

10. Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Active Member

I am battling with Toyota Canada Over this....... fight is taking a while but hopefully some resolve soon

11. BoomerZoomer

BoomerZoomer New Member

Fender Flare condition on my "New" 2010 with 3011 miles

I drove from Portland, OR to Reno, NV last weekend. My rear flares now look like this. 3011 miles on the 2010 X-Runner. (Sorry about the reflections in the phonots, but I try to keep the truck shiny clean.) The dealer where I purchased the truck in December 2011, says no warranty, normal wear due to road conditions.

Attached Files:

12. kusklub

kusklub New Member

Jan 2012
    49000 miles

13. Drifting86

Drifting86 New Member

Mine isn't too bad, considering the winter here.

14. davesX

davesX New Member

I have discovered the problem with our paint, the reason it chips so bad is because Toyota did a crap job at painting our trucks.,.. I just repainted my entire truck because of chips and as I was doing the repair I found out very fast that Toyota put very little paint and clear on these trucks... which makes your paint chip and fade very easy..so the best advise I can give is to get your truck painted by a reliable shop that uses good materials..

15. 12X-Runner

12X-Runner New Member

New here. Old thread. But it seems nothing has changed. My 2012 is at 60k and still has the same issue. Great job, Toyota.

16. x-runner kid

x-runner kid Active Member

Ya it's Def a big issue and never was one that was fixed. I used the clear rock guard stuff from 3m that's a spray on type. Love it because after it dries you can't even tell its there.

17. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

I am considering protective film on the leading edges of the rear flares too. I just haven't decided if I want spray on or clear adhesive sheets.

18. MiamiChillin

MiamiChillin Member

Yea I gotta jump on protecting my flares. It hasnt gotten bad...yet.

19. Helimx

Helimx "Dutch Rudder Master"

can you link to the stuff you used please?

20. x-runner kid

x-runner kid Active Member

I have used the clear sheets and to be honest I didn't like them. They were much more visible and much less durable. The stuff I used is very easy to apply it's sort of like putting plasti dip on. You just mask the area and then spray and before it dries taking the masking tape on the edges off. At first it's a foggy color but trust me after about an hour you can't even tell its there.