Open or Closed end lug nuts?

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Wheels/Tires' started by ultraxr, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ultraxr

ultraxr New Member

A pretty minor thing but I figured I'd ask anyways. Any differences with using open or closed end lug nuts? Other than the physical differences, of course. Which one are you guys rocking that have wheels that require "turner" style lugs nuts?

2. babyboi2284

babyboi2284 BaggedXR2284

Only in racing events as at as I know. You have to have open lugs so they can see how much is threaded on.

3. BigFatDogEatingPizza

Closed ones cause they keep the dirt out.

4. Wayne R

Wayne R New Member

Keeps out excessive moisture which prevents rusting of the lug and hides the ugly lug. McGard makes some very nice closed-end tuner-style lugnuts. Check out the Spline Drive lugnuts at:

www.mcgard.com

5. ultraxr

ultraxr New Member

thank you. that was my main concern. That moisture and what not would get in between the lug nut and bolt, causing rusting.

6. fmap4life

fmap4life New Member

Yeah i had tuner lugs on my sentra and the rusted. Plus the tire shop torked with an impact wrench after i told them not to. I got my lug key back friggin twisted and had to torch my lugs off

7. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Only time you would need open end lug nuts are when you have longer wheel studs. Which is mostly in racing application.

8. ultraxr

ultraxr New Member

12x1.5 pitch right?

9. Wayne R

Wayne R New Member

Correct....

12mm x 1.50