Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

P0420 & P0430: Stock replace or magnaflow? Advice please

lvxr

Reaction score
P0420 & P0430: Replace stock cats or go magnaflow? Advice please

Hey guys, long time member here but I've basically been a ghost over the last few years. My cats finally took a shit on me and i need advice on what I should do.

I can't pass smog and I need to replace my cats. Here's where I need your guys' help:

Buy stock replacements, or buy magnaflow cats. Or chime in if you have an alternate option.

Also, am i just changing the 2 cats (right & left) on the header, or do i need to change all 4?

I replaced both AFR's and both O2's less than a year ago (OEM, not cheapo's) so don't worry about that. Performance-wise, my truck is bone stock.

Thank you in advance, im open to all opinions and advice. :top:

Last edited:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Have you check all the possibility. :hmmmm2:You can always move. I wonder if you were to relocate the O2s. Move the top one after the cat at the bottom and weld a bong after the second cat to relocate the bottom O2 :http://engine-codes.com/p0420_toyota.html

Bang Bang

Reaction score
O2 sims or ucon will get you a pass I've been doing it since 2011

SgtBadA

Reaction score
They smog test meaning they check the tailpipe. I would try replacing the front two with some magnaflow ones that are 50 state legal. Never had a problem with using those on my cars

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you do a clutch or of something transmission related right before the codes? If so then try swapping the harness over. Might have the O2 harness wires attached to the opposite plugs that they are meant to be attached to.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Also check for exhaust leaks. Stuff a rag in the tailpipe w/ it running and listen for puffing / hissing noises upstream.

You could also try the "weapon r CEL eliminator" its a little elbow that you install in between the rear 02 sensor and the exhaust. Flat black it or something before smog so that its not obviously shiny and new. Been running them on my truck for years now, every once in a while under very specific cruising conditions I get a catalyst code, but other than that the monitor passes and therefor passes smog here. But all they do here is plug into your obd 2 port and check the monitors, all but evaporative monitor must be passed and then the computer determines the smog is ok pending a visual inspection, but this visual inspection does not require under vehicle inspection, only underhood, although the tech can choose to do so. One downside I have noticed with this, I pulled my 02 sensors the other day and because the 02 sensors aren't in the direct exhaust stream anymore they were covered in soot and carbon buildup, same with the little elbow. This could also possibly attributed to the lower operating temperature of the 02 versus the A/F ratio sensors (A/F ratios were also pulled @ the same time for inspection after seeing the rear 02's) but if you saw the extent of the buildup... doubtful, it looked like an EGR passage.

Running the 02 sim from URD will also net a pass.

I also have a full set of stock catalysts for sale, you would have to have your stock manifold welded onto these catalysts though unless you have a 2012+ xrunner.

shane881510

Reaction score
I have urd O2 sim. Plug and play. Used it for about two months. 100$ shipped.

justin13703

Reaction score
Guys his problem is that they are using a sniffer test. 02 sims will not make you pass a sniffer test. Just the computer scan test. 02 sims don't change the actual emissions in the exhaust. He's basically asking whether he should go with oem cats or high flow cats. Although it does sound a bit strange because I didn't think they did tailpipe tests on newer cars anymore.

My opinion, I would keep an eye out for a set of factory manifolds and cats from someone who went with long tubes, maybe take Toyota Tech up on his offer. I'm not sure how effective high flow cats are when it comes to emissions and I'm not sure whether they would pass a sniffer test or not.

And it is your front ones. The rear ones aren't monitored.

Last edited:

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
get the sensor simulator, or weapon r cel eliminator, install them and drive it like you stole it to the smog shop, if you get the catalysts hot enough it will still pass the sniffer test - although I live in cali and we no longer do the sniffer test so I would assume other states will be following suit?

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I pass smog with my set up no prob. Only have 2 Hiflow Cats. The real ones.

Its pretty strict here in the Liberal state of Washington.

Been passing for quite some time now. Where are you located? It says two places in your info.

lvxr

Reaction score
Do they do a sniffer/tailpipe test? Or do they just scan the computer?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. on newer vehicles they only use a computer scan. They dont actually put a sniffer into the tail pipe

Do you do a clutch or of something transmission related right before the codes? If so then try swapping the harness over. Might have the O2 harness wires attached to the opposite plugs that they are meant to be attached to.

and i did this a few years back, and it solved my 02 codes, but currently im dealing with a new problem.

--------------
Being that they dont use a sniffer here in LAS VEGAS, it seems that my cheapest solution is getting a 02 sim, correct?

Last edited:

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
You got it. And I have an old O2 sim the one you splice into the harness (not plug and play) if you want it I'll let it go cheap but I'm in Canada and shipping prob wouldn't be worth it. Plus you have to solder it in

justin13703

Reaction score
Well shit I thought you were saying they were using a sniffer test. If not then all you need is an O2 sim.

lvxr

Reaction score
OK guys, so clearly the 02 sims will "fix" my codes and allow me to pass smog. will it have any long term problems?

shane881510

Reaction score
No down falls to it. Its great works good and does what it says it will do. I have a plug in play one. No cutting installs in about 15mins.

lvxr

Reaction score
thanks. im getting that ordered tonight :top:

Top Bottom