Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Well that would work in the same way if its above. Because the oil vapors would have to go uphill into the can, and might drop back into the covers.

I guess it depends on how much oil vapor is really in there.

Are the people who have the TRD blowers and a can seeing the IC being much cleaner or somewhat?

Here is a pic of my IC before I installed the catch can, back when I was investigating why I had knock.

0725091058a.jpg

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Well that would work in the same way if its above. Because the oil vapors would have to go uphill into the can, and might drop back into the covers.

I guess it depends on how much oil vapor is really in there.

Are the people who have the TRD blowers and a can seeing the IC being much cleaner or somewhat?

My can is on relatively level in its position, it collects a decent but acceptable amount of oil between oil change intervals.

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my IC before I installed the catch can, back when I was investigating why I had knock.

So is it cleaner now that you have a can? Thats about what mine looks like, actually, looking at the pics right now, mine was cleaner

DC29

Reaction score
is it possible to put a air to air front mount on the truck with the trd supercharger?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
i dont lol it was just a thought i had and was just wondering if its possible.

I suppose if you constructed an elaborate ducting system and some summaflanges you could make it happen.

Water has good advantages...

Grumpy

Reaction score
That would throw away the inherent benefit of compact packaging, and introduce pressure drop with all that plumbing.

That's why all root-style positive displacement supercharger that use heat exchanger goes with air-to-water setup.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That would throw away the inherent benefit of compact packaging, and introduce pressure drop with all that plumbing.

That's why all root-style positive displacement supercharger that use heat exchanger goes with air-to-water setup.

Yup Yup!

The water setup is VERY low pressure drop where as air to air is VERY high.

Also Water systems can get cooled well below ambient with the addition of other cold sources (every day ice or dry ice - very good for drag).

pcv.gif

195578d1251986124-help-oil-leak-pcv-revxtreme-catch-can-ls1pcv.jpg

41921072.gif

pcv_b20_fi.jpg

BOXER:

crankcaseandrockercovervents_under_vacuum.gif

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I inderstand the nature of my debate on the topic. It has everything to do with the inherent difference in my setup vs a N/A of roots S/C setup. Mine is more closely related to the centerfugal setup.
My intake manifold see forced air just like the centerfugal manifold. The F/I modifier is before the throttle body, so in other words, the intake maifold sees "boosted" air. The PCV side on these setups will have a pressure being blown into it. If that valve acts like a check valve also, I am not sure. If it doesn't it would make perfect sense as two why my passenger side catch can is is catching oil. Even if it does it makes sense for the passenger side to be the vent, since it is the path of least resistance. So basically my setup is working in reverse.
Those who spend lots of time in WOT should effectively see a bit more build up on the TB and or in the vacuum hose. But nothing like how the Turbo'd setups would.
Dream thinking FTW. lol

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That is why I said for us TRD guys, each setup can vary...

Changing some hoses around or complete elimination may be required depending on what you do & your setup.

I love you mark.

Under load our setup will actually help pull that shit out (kind of like a free VAC pump) due to the very high vac going on at the blower side.

This makes it an even better idea to have a can in place....

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I believe I inderstand the nature of my debate on the topic. It has everything to do with the inherent difference in my setup vs a N/A of roots S/C setup. Mine is more closely related to the centerfugal setup.
My intake manifold see forced air just like the centerfugal manifold. The F/I modifier is before the throttle body, so in other words, the intake maifold sees "boosted" air. The PCV side on these setups will have a pressure being blown into it. If that valve acts like a check valve also, I am not sure. If it doesn't it would make perfect sense as two why my passenger side catch can is is catching oil. Even if it does it makes sense for the passenger side to be the vent, since it is the path of least resistance. So basically my setup is working in reverse.
Those who spend lots of time in WOT should effectively see a bit more build up on the TB and or in the vacuum hose. But nothing like how the Turbo'd setups would.
Dream thinking FTW. lol

so that PCV vent valve shouldn't allow much if any air to pass through. The more pressure forced into the valve the tighter the seal.

Being that you are pressurizing so much of the system, you will be building boost prior to the TB, and that pressure should breath through the air breather PRIOR to the PCV vent valve, where as you pressurize the crankcase, it should still vent out the vent valve (what goes in, must come out). its easier to go in the breather hose then it is the vent valve, so it should route that way.

Do you have a pic of your setup for the vacuum routing? I know yours is much different then ours.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bro Love FTW. lol. No pics. damn camera crapped out. My phone camera just can't take good enough ones for all to see clearly.

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
I have know idea what all this is lol :dontknow:.

Would it be smart for an N/A to have a catch can and where exactly does it connect to. I knwo what they are and look like but have never installed on or seen one in our trucks. Sorry for the noob questions tring to learn new stuff. thanks

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I have know idea what all this is lol :dontknow:.

Would it be smart for an N/A to have a catch can and where exactly does it connect to. I knwo what they are and look like but have never installed on or seen one in our trucks. Sorry for the noob questions tring to learn new stuff. thanks

Some N/A cars have really bad over-active PCV systems (primarily because of the PCV hose placement).

In these N/A cars it is a good idea.

I wasn't N/A long enough with this truck to see how much oil actually accumulated.

No matter what you have you will catch some.

DC29

Reaction score
Some N/A cars have really bad over-active PCV systems (primarily because of the PCV hose placement).

In these N/A cars it is a good idea.

I wasn't N/A long enough with this truck to see how much oil actually accumulated.

No matter what you have you will catch some.

im N/A and i plan on buying a catch can after this NST pulley deal so ill gladly let yall know what i find when that time arrives.

Top Bottom