Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

cowboy bebop

Reaction score

Hahaha.. yeah, I wonder when they came out with theirs. Our 2" can has been around for almost 3 years now.

Something to remember about catch cans, as well. If you're running a boosted application, you have to run a check valve on the intake side so as not to pressurize your crankcase. If not, then whatever boost your gauge is seeing will be what your crankcase is seeing, then it's goodbye main seals.

Eric

moregrip

Reaction score
The one I use actually has a very fine stainless steel filter media screen in it, it does a good job and looks very good.

the stainless is about the best way to separate the oil/vapor and is also what I use

Murderface

Reaction score
I would stay away from one way valves (check valves) as they tend to complicate things

Something to remember about catch cans, as well. If you're running a boosted application, you have to run a check valve on the intake side so as not to pressurize your crankcase. If not, then whatever boost your gauge is seeing will be what your crankcase is seeing, then it's goodbye main seals.

Eric

Which one is correct?

Last edited:

moregrip

Reaction score
I would stay away from one way valves (check valves) as they tend to complicate things

Which one is correct?

If your system has a PCV valve (aka check valve) I would continue to use it but I would not complicate the system with additional check valves. I don't run them myself as it's simplier to run a small small orifice and they don't fail. I have been running a catch can setup for some time on my 6.0L LS motor and have been through 3 blowers and have gotten zero oil through any of them; I'm running about 11 lbs of boost.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
If your system has a PCV valve (aka check valve) I would continue to use it but I would not complicate the system with additional check valves. I don't run them myself as it's simplier to run a small small orifice and they don't fail. I have been running a catch can setup for some time on my 6.0L LS motor and have been through 3 blowers and have gotten zero oil through any of them; I'm running about 11 lbs of boost.

certainly stops the intercooler core from getting gummed the f' up.

I dont know why people dont use them... They have something against cans lol?

The LS motors even N/A have a really overactive PCV system.

moregrip

Reaction score
certainly stops the intercooler core from getting gummed the f' up.

I dont know why people dont use them... They have something against cans lol?

The LS motors even N/A have a really overactive PCV system.

I never had alot of oil through my blower without a catch can but I like the idea of keeping the intake tract and blower oil free. I bought 2 of the same can and was going to run one off each valve cover but never got around to it. After a bunch of research on forums like this, and trial and error on my behalf and friends, we came up with running a catch can off the passenger valve cover with no check valve into the blower inlet tube; has proven to be a fantastic setup.

Last edited:

cowboy bebop

Reaction score

Which one is correct?

A check valve doesn't complicate things, and in fact is essential in a forced induction application. Think of it this way. Your brake booster uses a check valve, and its equally as essential to proper operation.

Edit: I should say as well that I'm talking about a check valve in case someone decides to delete their pcv valves. I deleted mine and run 2 -8AN fittings in their place.

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
A check valve doesn't complicate things, and in fact is essential in a forced induction application. Think of it this way. Your brake booster uses a check valve, and its equally as essential to proper operation.

Edit: I should say as well that I'm talking about a check valve in case someone decides to delete their pcv valves. I deleted mine and run 2 -8AN fittings in their place.

i thought that the pcv valve was forced closed under boost so that the crank case couldn't become pressurized? :dontknow:

Murderface

Reaction score
yea what happened? you just qouted me and it looks fine:laugh: but everyone else is qouting themselves

Yah when BlackX posted a quote from me it wasn't me that said it I think it was Eric from TTC:dontknow:

wierd

Gutz

Reaction score
So, the general consensus from the boosted guys is these things are good to go...... right?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
So, the general consensus from the boosted guys is these things are good to go...... right?

keeps crap out of the engine. Will you notice a performance difference, doubt it.
It's not going to hurt anything by running one.

Gutz

Reaction score
keeps crap out of the engine. Will you notice a performance difference, doubt it.
It's not going to hurt anything by running one.

That's what I want it for..... And I guess it looks cool... :rolleyez:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I don't see any cons, less crap mucking up your blowers cooler core is great.

Many FI vehicles come with them stock...

There really is no down side.

Gutz

Reaction score
^^And that made me feel warm and fuzzy... Thanks.

Top Bottom