Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

please, try and talk me out of this....

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Upon the confirmation of my second engine being blown, for once again...unknown reasons. ..im trying to find the motivation to keep my build going.

I finnaly get coil overs, finnaly get a tuning system, finally am ready to start competing this year. Nope. Engine decides to completely crap out. Ring failure for those who arnt following. Anywho....

Like any true one off custom build, things break, you fix it and repeate. As one weakest link fails, upgrade it. At this point, ive reached the inevitable point where the drivelines reliability becomes apparent. Start pricing out a built engine, some other source of boost, urd or otherwise, it starts to add up. Tuning software.......fast. then there is the transmission. ...thay lovely 100lb sack of dog shit shoved between our engine and rear end. Better upgrade that too since randomly popping out 2nd gear, isnt operating as designed..T-56swap.... $2000apr adapter plate....etc. before you know it, you are fast approaching 15k+!!!!!
For what? 400-500 some odd horse power, being made from an engine that was NEVER designed to make it...how long will it last that far past the breaking point.
I aint getting rid of my truck. So moving to a different chassis isn't happening.

Upon venting to my friends at a car meet about my impass, one of them jokeling says, "throw a ls1/t56 like all cool guys do in there 240s, rx7s"...etc

And then it hit me. What good reason do I have, to NOT swap one in??? Right out of the box make 300whp+ all day long, reliabilly. And wait, look at that, I dont need a $2000 adapter to bolt up an actual decent tranny. You just rip the entire damn driveline, harness and ecu out of a gto or the likes. Yah. I know motor swapps can be a pita, but its nothing im not used to. Ls1 in a mustang, 1uz in a nissan pick up....etc.

So yah, this where I stand now. Broken truck in my driveway, and a mind clogged with ideas. Whatya guys think? Remember what I do in my truck...its under abuse that few xrs will ever see. I could care less how I make the power, as long as its bullet proof and somewhay cost effective. Lol.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I wont talk you out of it, I'll talk you into it lol. For your application/use, cheap lsx swap makes perfect sense.

SIK X

Reaction score
LS swap man... especially with what you do. it will be perfect. if you need help hit us up at powerfab. we have done plenty of ls swaps.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
2rz/3rz swap. W series trans. And a turbo kit. Bam. ;)

My dream one day actually. Parts are cheap, and those little things make loads of power. 4 cylinders, bolt up turbo headers, closed deck iron block, Megasquirt3/AEM, or ProEFI Pro48.

4cylinder monster that will destroy the 1GR and has a strong trans.

Ooooooooor just do the LS2 / T56.

SIK X

Reaction score
hot daym thats some dumb shit Torspd. LOL j/k V8 power is better for drift... especially would be in that truck. Step yo game up! LS9 swap!

Toon714

Reaction score
Ls motor all day!!

Im saving up money as we speak for the e rod ls3 kit to drop in my s14 and be carb legal. And laugh at cops with a v8 in my lil 240.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Do it Kev! Sell your stuuf make money off of that to put towards the swap n all the other stuff.

X-roller

Reaction score
Put a b18 in it with headers cam and a tune and that's reliable..... what you are looking for is nearly impossible to find. reliability can be thrown out the door when you swap the engine out. you can talk to anyone that does this type of a swap. Everything you fabricate is going to be one off and will be extra money if it breaks because it's gonna be one off again. Yes you can make the power reliably but what people don't tell you is the electrical side of it. They can become nightmares because you don't have a book you can go off of to tell you where certain things are supposed to go and be. I've seen ls1 fd rx7s here all day. I literally think there is at least 4 rx7s with ls1s a lezbaru with an ls1 a mustang with an ls1 and I can't remember what else.... so ls1 swaps are done here every day it seems like lol. Only problems they keep running into is electrical. when the car drives it's great but when it doesn't it's because something electrical is wrong lol. and well you being a tech can imagine how hard it can be to diagnose an electrical problem for a car you have a schematic for compared to a car that you don't have one for.... just food for thought.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
hot daym thats some dumb shit Torspd. LOL j/k V8 power is better for drift... especially would be in that truck. Step yo game up! LS9 swap!

Don't be jealous because you didn't think of it first. :eviltongue: Rookie.

Haha

Gadget

Reaction score
Options.....

If you decide to stay with the 1GR, I do have this engine that APR did for me that is looking for a home. I will make you a smoking deal on it. That way you can stay legal and registered.

LS Swap would be a great path as well for what you do with the truck, but you will need to get a trailer and a tow rig. You are not likely going to be able to smog that in Cali and keep tags on it.

G

Toon714

Reaction score
**** every motor.

Just cut a hole in ur floor and fred flinstone that shit!!

SIK X

Reaction score
Don't be jealous because you didn't think of it first. :eviltongue: Rookie.

Haha

I honestly don't even know what those motors are Torspd. So I really can't say. Lol

If you do decide to keep a stock motor, I would toss that supercharger and let me hook you up with a Torque Monster if ya know what I mean! :top:

FN5.7

Reaction score
Gadget speaks the truth.

you need a 15k built 1gr, torspds all wheel drive and sik x's turbo set up. then you can take first on "my ride rules" id vote for you.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I personally would stay with the 1gr BUT if I HAD to do a swap I'd go for an rb or ls7.

madtrucker

Reaction score
I think your making a lot of sense. Bigger is badder. Cu. in. is cheap whore power. You'll be drifting all over the place. Go for it!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Put a b18 in it with headers cam and a tune and that's reliable..... what you are looking for is nearly impossible to find. reliability can be thrown out the door when you swap the engine out. you can talk to anyone that does this type of a swap. Everything you fabricate is going to be one off and will be extra money if it breaks because it's gonna be one off again. Yes you can make the power reliably but what people don't tell you is the electrical side of it. They can become nightmares because you don't have a book you can go off of to tell you where certain things are supposed to go and be. I've seen ls1 fd rx7s here all day. I literally think there is at least 4 rx7s with ls1s a lezbaru with an ls1 a mustang with an ls1 and I can't remember what else.... so ls1 swaps are done here every day it seems like lol. Only problems they keep running into is electrical. when the car drives it's great but when it doesn't it's because something electrical is wrong lol. and well you being a tech can imagine how hard it can be to diagnose an electrical problem for a car you have a schematic for compared to a car that you don't have one for.... just food for thought.

When you start micky mousing shit, you run into all kinds of problems. Im not going to try and hook up cruise control, and all that other shit like that other guy did with is. No a/c, heater or any creature comferts. And if you dont know how to read an electrical diagram and figure out power flow, fuses, loads, resistance etc....your gonna have loads of problems and belong noware around any kind of engine swap. Im not scared of electrical to be honest. Take your time, figure out where you are putting everything, and how you are going to do it. Make notes. Make your own diagram.

Im really in rush to get this done, I have a daily, so all I got is time.

Gadget, I dont want ANYTHING to do with anything built by apr. Lol. I have no idea what they did to that engine. Not worth the risk, though I do appreciate the offer. My smog is due in November, as im compiling the kit, i will probably swap in a bone stock 1gr, so I have another 2 years to have fun. Lol

Dont clutter this thread up with dibs. Pm that. Regardless of what I do, I will be selling the trd s/c, ucon (everything), 668s...etc. if I do keep the 1gr I will probably go a different route with power.

Iron block engines are a no go. Too much weight over the front. Ls1 is about 420lbs. 1gr plus trd blower is probably knocking on the door of that.

donovanbedwell

Reaction score
keep your head up man! mine pops out of 2nd gear randomly too. i don't have 2 grand for a t-56 swap though :eviltongue:

Top Bottom