Port n Polish & Nitrous

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by grifter95, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

What's the snakebite upgrade?

2. Bulldogger

Bulldogger New Member

It is regearing the blower snout to spin alot fast allows like 16lbs boost.

3. redarkx

redarkx New Member

Then... Kaboom.

4. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

If our engine would handle 16lbs.... I would have it. But it won't... with out some serious rebuilding. So getting my TRD injectors enlarged won't work? The whole adding/removing voltage at idle has me confused. What exactly are my options for larger injectors for more boost or e85?

Also I am still leaning on adding a 35-50 shot of nitrous. Thinking of a NOS/Fuel injector in my APR 7th. That way the nitrous and additional fueling would both be in one inlet. Any ideas or assistance here?

5. Toon714

Toon714 New Member

Ur map ecu3 wont be able to run e85.
    U will need the ucon or pro efi 128 or any other stand alone ecu.

I think deathshadow ran naws with his xr and trd blower.
    Maybe he will chime in and help ya with the nawz

6. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

The nitrous will make all the power you are going to want to run on a stock engine for sure; the gains are huge through the TRD bower; I can gurantee that Nitrous will have far superior gains to a port/polish job alone.

The best place for a wet nozzle is on the blower inlet straight away just before 90 degree bend into the compressor housing (right after the first 90 degree bend aimed at the compressor housing inlet).

Placing a wet nitrous nozzle at the TB area forces the fuel/nitrous mixture to travel up hill and around two 90 degree bends.... Not ideal.

When spraying id avoid spraying near boost peak TQ or over 6,000 RPMs as well (the torque it will make on very small amounts of spray is going to be nuts).

I would not use a 7th injector to add fuel for a nitrous system; there are WAY to many variables when trying to tune two different systems to work together (especially if your going to use a progressive setup).

The safest method is going to be single point wet injection for 'low' power (under 150 HP) shots.

I dont think you will have enough pump capacity to run boost, E85, and spray with out stepping up to a dual pumper - nitrous systems on E10 demand a lot of fuel very quickly on their own with out the added strain of E85 being run for your nitrous system fuel and primary system fuel.

If you do decide to do both make sure you compensate your nitrous system jetting for the alcohol by about 35-40%.

#26 5H4D0WD347H, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

You should post pics of the setup you had on your x so people have a better idea of where your talking of mounting nlzzles/jets on the blower

8. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

:biggrin: yes yes....

9. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

Great info about the nitrous placement. Running my setup now plus 50 shot of nitrous should work with only one fuel pump? Also was planning on using my map-ecu3 and a arm switch to activate the nitrous at a given throttle/rpm and deactivate at top rpm... aka before peak torque and shift points (auto trans).
    which nitrous company offers a wet system like I need?

10. Tunedx

Tunedx Active Member

Wizard of nitrous and nx make the best components.

11. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Most piggyback engine management controllers out there are not capable of progressively pulsing nitrous solenoids in synchronization to reduce the shock AKA 'hit' on the motor. Most only come equipped with a 'dumb' switched ground option that will simply turn a solenoid on or off.

Something you must understand about nitrous is that it is full power at an absolute instant. This is the full HP/TQ of the shot delivered to the motor immediately (the second the solenoid(s) open); therefore it is more desirable to distribute it over time by pulsing solenoids or the more modern stepper motor driven electronic valve manipulation rather then all at once.

Not only is a more gradually introduced nitrous shot better for the engine and the rest of the train; it provides you with more traction instead of just blowing the tires off right away at every speed the second it hits. Being able to control how much power you want to deliver and how fast you want it to come on in each gear is extremely beneficial and ultimately makes you faster.

A dedicated nitrous controller will provide you with the safety features, operation tests, control, and manipulation you want to do it right and have fun.

I am yet to see a piggyback system out there that is even a stones throw from the capabilities of a dedicated nitrous system controller. If you are willing to spend the money on port work for your blower I suggest spending the money on a capable system that you will only have to buy once for the life of your current and all future vehicles...

A single fuel pump on pump gasoline (E10) or race fuel should be fine; you should always flow test the fuel system with the installed fuel jets prior to using nitrous for the first time to make sure everything is ok.

In reasonable ambient temperatures and good quality 93 pump gas - a 50 shot of nitrous, 8-9 PSI of TRD boost, and +1 or 2 degrees of ignition advance should be easy to pull off.

You are talking a massively wide and aggressive powerband here that probably only a built motor turbo truck will be able to take down.

With that being said Wizard of Nitrous makes some of (if not THE) best nitrous gear on the planet; I am one of the few WON dealers in the USA if you need some help selecting their products.

http://www.noswizard.com/agents-north-america

You will not find better engineered nitrous electronics or hard parts anywhere else.

sure.

Nozzle Placement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottle Mounting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wet nozzle aiming toward inlet:
    [​IMG]

Main Supply Line & Control System:

[​IMG]

= Fun:

Pull Starts 29 Seconds In:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIqUEKtRTvg

Pull Starts 18 Seconds In:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOYrU82fHM

You will have fun! Just make sure you take your time, learn about it, tune it, and dont overdue it (get HP crazy and slap the biggest jet in there that you have).

#31 5H4D0WD347H, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

Wow.... thanks for the info and pics. Nice to see evidence that it can be done. Haven't done much reading on the staged nitrous. Is it beneficial with small, 35-50 HP, or more for larger 100+ HP shots? I am just looking to pick up 5 MPH on the 1/8th or so.... and to have some fun! What did a system like yours run for parts?

Also I am running on my TRD replaced spark plugs. Should I go done in heat range? If so which plug and where do I get them?

13. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Progressive (not staged) is beneficial at all power levels; it is much easier on the motor and tires :laugh:.

When you are pushing the envelope (higher boost & using nitrous on stock internals) this is a good thing even at smaller power levels. Remember progressive optimizes traction as well so you will be faster for sure; I think you will easily pick up 5 MPH +....

A progressive setup will allow you to run more nitrous then a single stage; up to 50-75% more then you normally would be able to run...

That setup is pricey, there are state side alternatives that are cheaper but not nearly as good.

You buy a good nitrous kit once... It is compatible with every gas vehicle you own now and in the future.

You should replace the plugs with a colder range - however I had no issues with preignition and the 'stock' TRD plug heat range; just nice and clean plugs haha.

#33 5H4D0WD347H, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  14. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

Thanks. I don't mind spending alittle more to get something that is better. Which system to you recommend and or run? Where do I get it? How much? How difficult to install? What kind of power can I safely add?

15. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

I know someone with a brand new setup that hasn't used it but is looking to sell at a real discounted price.

In that case you are probably spending around 1,000 - 1,300.00

If he no longer has it I can take care of you the best I can, pricing right now is difficult because it is coming from overseas and there is a constantly changing exchange rate as well as customs fees involved. Once we reach that point (if the guy state side im thinking of no longer has his stuff) id price it all out for you and give you something in stone.

What power you can safely add is going to come down to how well its tuned; any knock at this power level can get devastating very quickly (that goes for boost or nitrous).

With a good tune spraying it every day to be on the safe side id say 35-50, larger shots are doable but your really pushing the envelope at that point and all bets are off.

Install is not difficult but you must know what you are doing, I can help if you have any questions. If you test the system before going out and using it and dyno tune it to make sure everything is working correctly you have very little chance of failure.

There is a certain combination of parts and certain usage guidelines that you should know as well.

16. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Get the kit from him. He knoweth what he speaketh.

After some fun, then put some internals in your engine. Strengthen the safety net. :top:

17. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

5H4D0WD347H please check with your guy and see if he wants to sell, exactly what he has, and what he wants for it. I am two pay checks away from purchasing something... so another 3 weeks. Just check for me. I will either go this route and have a rock solid progressive setup if it can work out. Or I may try a small 35 shot non progressive for the 2-3 times a year I get to my local dragstrip to play instead of working.

18. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Will do man, I will let you know soon.

Either way I will help you out with what components to buy, setup, and use if you need it.

19. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

I spoke to the guy that had the kit; its sold already bud. :thumbdown:

20. grifter95

grifter95 New Member

Well I finally broke down an ordered a Nitrous Express wet kit (35,50,75,100,125,150). Planning on running a 35 or 50 shot max unless I spend some more dough and build the engine.

5H4D0WD347H how did you tap into your fuel? I was thinking at the connections for the 7th injector? Either where it attached to fuel rail or to the 7th injector? Ideas? Is there an appropriate t-fitting I could use?

Also I am running the TRD plugs. What set of colder plugs should I use? Where to buy?