Probably need some new cats

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by Justin Kantor, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Justin Kantor

Justin Kantor New Member

Just bout my X a couple months ago and I'm working through the previous owner issues. Looks like the hood was replaced and now has no emission sticker. Anybody have a photo for a 2005 X 4.0L California compliant underwood emission sticker? I have po420 and po430 CEL codes and the stealership quoted $2200 for the replacement. I was thinking of ponying up the bucks for replacement headers anyways so I need to know which ones are CA compliant. Let me know if anybody out there can confirm the correct model catalytic converter(s). Thanks.

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I don't live in CA but I would think the DT Short Tube headers with new converters attached would work.

wolfpack_5150 likes this.
  3. Justin Kantor

Justin Kantor New Member

That’s kind of where I was leading but the cats are supposed to be very specific. Some smog inspectors will fail the vehicle if they have the wrong cats installed. It’s CA where they are very strict.

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

That's stupid....cats are cats......but CA is stupid so I guess that makes sense

thewarriordinghy and chatt x like this.
  5. Justin Kantor

Justin Kantor New Member

That’s what I thought too but it’s what the muffler guy said. He went to look for the sticker and it’s absent. It’s why I’m doing some research because they ain’t cheap!

6. Billy182

Billy182 Member

why not just get some o2 simulators?

7. wolfpack_5150

wolfpack_5150 Jangley

Use oem cats, its about 1200 for the set.
    Then ur gunna have to pay a few hundred for the shorties, and another few hundred to have someone cut and weld the cats onto the new shorties.

Its spensive but legal.