Quick Steer knuckle results...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sdxrunner619, Jan 20, 2012.

1. sdxrunner619

sdxrunner619 Active Member

Nice try.... A for effort...

2. sdxrunner619

Story time....

We got some more rain today, rare for SO-CAL...anywho...i was at school today and we always leave middle of the day to get some grub. Buddy asked "how much angle do you think you can get now, sideways?" I reply "i dont know yet, as i've yet to reach that point" ...."ohh....lame"....I calmly flip my ABS kill switch, downshifted to second, and looked at him..."lets find out"

Came into the corner sideways, thanks to Mr. Hydro, dumped the clutch and got even more sideways...i then get that gut feeling, where you know you are just too damn sideways(you know what im talking about, if you ever gone drifting)...i then realized i had only countered over 3/4 of a turn of the wheel... :biggrin: Gave her some juice, turned even farther and proceeded reach the point where i am approaching perpendicular with the road. Road started straightening out, so i pulled out of it.. as i did, i realized i had only turned the steering wheel aprox 80% of max...

not gonna lie, i was shaking a tad and on the verge of tears...from laughter at how utterly bizzare that feeling was... Both of my friends had shit eating grins...:rockon:I have been drifting this truck, on/off for coming up on two years...NEVER has it ever impressed me/shocked me like that. :adore:

I know...i said no more street drifting...but think of it this way...this was in the rain so it doesn't count..."sorry officer, the back end came around in this wet weather and i some how caught it" /pokerface.

Random fact., CHP reported, 140 accidents today, in regards to wet weather...:hmmmm2: Y CALI NO DRIVE OK IN RAIN!?!??!!

/story time

On to the knuckles...so...i now know they work...work really good at that...:blurock: I put her back on the alignment rack toady, and gave one more thorough inspection of the welds, for any sign of fatigue. Every thing looked as good as new. No signs of stress cracks. Also did an inspection of cleanrace with my 18x10's at/around my new opposite lock, (this was with the truck jacked up at funny angles too, to help simulate different suspension movement)....i rub on my inner fender-liner... damn...one more excuse to take off more weight. :smile: Currently at the 150 mile mark, BTW.

And...i took some after photos with the same my oem rims, like i had on in the earlier photos. Tried to take the photos from the same points as before. got close...lol...tires are also "new", so that throws it off too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when i took that last one, was when i realized what i had really accomplished...

...Because Ra-DRIFT Truck :blurock:

rjbiii likes this.
  3. blastap

blastap New Member

Did you preheat the spindles before you welded them?

4. sdxrunner619

TIG welded them, so was not needed according to just about every thing i read/heard

Every drifter, fabricator, grease monkey and...etc...when i said i was going to weld them, we were warned by everyone to preheat the metal. Until i mentioned they were/are going to be TIG welded. Then they went on to explain some kind of difference between the two styles of welding that i, still to this day, don't understand.

long story short, not needed...:dontknow:

If anyone would like to chime in and explain why, i'd love to see it in writing. :top:

FYI, like ii mentioned in the OP, the guy who welded its has been TIG welding since i was in diapers, and typically works on very high $$$,$$$ cars...His only waring was to carefully inspect them if i smack a curb at while slidng... I'm just OCD'ing and checking the shit outathem. :top:

#24 sdxrunner619, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Nice man...keep it up! Love reading about this.

6. ultraxr

ultraxr New Member

How about this turning radius??? haha[​IMG]

7. sdxrunner619

Stop giving me ideas.....

8. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

90* +. F yeah!

9. sdxrunner619

I wanna do a reverse entry in my truck....onece I do that, I can die happy :laugh:

10. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to do that in AWD. Once i do that, I can be happy. :D

11. sdxrunner619

Awd reverse entries Are easy as fawk....the front wheels can pull you out of in recoverable drifts. :top:

12. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

reverse entry?

13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

But not if you don't have all wheel drive. :top:

14. sdxrunner619

#34 sdxrunner619, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  15. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

oh were your ass end not quite over rotates into the corner

16. sdxrunner619

technically, your back end enters the corner before your front...:rockon:

17. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Ride the wall at Irwinedale, add that to the list :crinklehair:

18. sdxrunner619

:rockon: I agree... I think the white wall needs a little swb pin stripe...:blurock:

19. Touge

Touge New Member

Nice work man. I miss the nights going threw sets of tires hahah

20. sdxrunner619

Thank you!