Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quiet(ish) exhaust options...

Tom2769

Reaction score
I just picked up an 08 RR XR. It's got a TRD S/C and 3" catback with an 18" long Magnaflow. Stock ex manifolds and Y-pipe for now. I'm pretty sure I want to add headers (DTLT or URD) and a Y-pipe (URD) to optimize performance, but want to stay on the quieter end of the spectrum. With just the 3" maggy catback, it gets a bit loud on acceleration and I get a decent drone on the freeway. The wife will drive the truck some so I've got to keep her happy and head-ache free. I know I'll be louder than stock, but want to be as quiet as reasonable possible.

From my research on here, I know I'm going to get a lot louder with the headers and y-pipe. so to quiet it back down, it looks like my options are:

1) add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the y-pipe
2) add a second muffler in front of the maggy (Looking at Dynomax super turbo - 16" long)
3) replace the 18" magnaflow with a single larger muffler - and maybe a vibrant as well, if needed

If it were just me, I'd probably just go with the vibrant because it cuts rasp/drone, but I need to cut volume as much as possible for the wife too. I'm leaning toward option 2 - adding the dynomax for max volume control.

Anyone have experience with any of these muffler options?
Also, I'm assuming that headers and a y-pipe are pretty much required with a S/C for max performance. Any opposing views on that?

Thanks,
Tom

30Birdy

Reaction score
:popcorn: I'd like to know how to make the most power and stay quiet too.

Coupe

Reaction score
I just picked up an 08 RR XR. It's got a TRD S/C and 3" catback with an 18" long Magnaflow. Stock ex manifolds and Y-pipe for now. I'm pretty sure I want to add headers (DTLT or URD) and a Y-pipe (URD) to optimize performance, but want to stay on the quieter end of the spectrum. With just the 3" maggy catback, it gets a bit loud on acceleration and I get a decent drone on the freeway. The wife will drive the truck some so I've got to keep her happy and head-ache free. I know I'll be louder than stock, but want to be as quiet as reasonable possible.

From my research on here, I know I'm going to get a lot louder with the headers and y-pipe. so to quiet it back down, it looks like my options are:

1) add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the y-pipe
2) add a second muffler in front of the maggy (Looking at Dynomax super turbo - 16" long)
3) replace the 18" magnaflow with a single larger muffler - and maybe a vibrant as well, if needed

If it were just me, I'd probably just go with the vibrant because it cuts rasp/drone, but I need to cut volume as much as possible for the wife too. I'm leaning toward option 2 - adding the dynomax for max volume control.

Anyone have experience with any of these muffler options?
Also, I'm assuming that headers and a y-pipe are pretty much required with a S/C for max performance. Any opposing views on that?

Thanks,
Tom

I can tell you if you are concerned about the exhaust note with stock manifolds and a stock y pipe, you do not want headers or a non stock y pipe.

The headers are not too bad, but when you delete the cats in the y pipe, it adds a lot of noise.

I would add the second muffler.

Can XR

Reaction score
I have the Spec U exhaust with stock manifolds. I am actually surprised with how quiet it is. The equal length y pipe i think has a lot to do with it. It also comes with a resonator as well. Sounds really good when you get on it but no highway drone at all. The gf has even commented that she thought it would me much louder.

XTINCT_yota

Reaction score
AFE twisted headers will do the trick, header-wise. Idk if you'd want to spend that kind of money for that stuff though.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Coupe, I think I saw a go-pro clip of your exhaust on here somewhere (I've been reading so much re: all this I forget where I saw it). I liked the sound at the tailpipe, and think you were running 2 mufflers. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, what are you running for a Y-pipe and are you happy with the noise in the cabin?

Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Coupe, I think I saw a go-pro clip of your exhaust on here somewhere (I've been reading so much re: all this I forget where I saw it). I liked the sound at the tailpipe, and think you were running 2 mufflers. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, what are you running for a Y-pipe and are you happy with the noise in the cabin?

I have DT long tubes with big primaries. APR Y pipe with high flow cats and URD 3" cat back before they had the resonator.

The noise in the cabin is a little much for a road trip.

This exhaust was done before URD came out with a their U spec headers and exhaust. My guess is that this system will probably fit your needs, but I have not used it first hand.

In my case the shape of the APR Y pipe does not leave much room for a resonator in front of the muffler. I have been tempted to change the Y into an X and put duals on. I would take the muffler and rotate it 90 degrees and place another one next to it. Maybe a mod for the future.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Good input. I checked out the Spec U headers and exhaust - those sounds REALLY nice, and those headers are dead sexy. I could live with that level of noise since it is subdued and without drone or rasp - just beautiful sounding. But it would seriously stretch the exhaust budget. I think that even with headers and urd y-pipe (no cats), I may be able to find a 2 muffler solution that is similarly quiet. If I go that route, I'd probably add a Borla pro xs muffler in front of my current 18" magnaflow. Then if I wanted to drop the sound even more, I could follow Coupe's lead and add 2 mini cats in the y-pipe. Decisions, decisions....

If you have a 2 muffler exhaust, what do you have (muffler type & size, headers, y-pipe, etc), and how do you like it? (maybe this should be a separate post?)

Lamia, I drive an E90 335i as well, so far with just a JB4 and DCI. DPs and larger intercooler will be next. Talk about a car that responds well to increased boost!

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I'm running Doug Thorley long tubes URD y pipe and stock exhaust tubing with a 12" magnaflow muffler and I can say that it's pretty loud and very raspy.

lamia2super

Reaction score
drone and raspy going in hand with this car, especially when you get near 70mph.....

this mine when i installed headers....truck came with a magnaflow muffler and factory cats in....got pretty loud and lots of drone/rasp with headers then i removed the cats shortly after because they failed and fml....installed a big quiet muffler now and its okay until you get around 65mph when that drone kicks in

https://youtu.be/bWnvU8IvSyU

https://youtu.be/-_jOyh-tcJU

Last edited:

Redlantern

Reaction score
To me magnaflow is a drone magnet. An option you could go if you don't want drone in cab is going with a corsa, they're pricey and are huge(diesel muffler) but sound great. They don't sell a universal muffler but sell exhaust kits, that's why only the diesel version is easily available which a lot of the LSx guys use. Another is black widow exhaust which also claims to have no drone. I believe they have a sound clip with a 1gr with it on their website. Price is fairly good too.

Amo-cat3

Reaction score
Look into the Dynomax VT muffler if it will fit your application. Right now I've got my exhaust which flows in this order: DT longtubes, URD y pipe, Vibrant 14" resonator, 2.5" backpipe to an 18" straight through MBRP muffler and dual out 2.5 pipes. It's fairly loud still, nice rumble at idle. I'm considering swapping in one of these VT mufflers.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/dynomax-vt-mufflers

lamia2super

Reaction score
Look into the Dynomax VT muffler if it will fit your application. Right now I've got my exhaust which flows in this order: DT longtubes, URD y pipe, Vibrant 14" resonator, 2.5" backpipe to an 18" straight through MBRP muffler and dual out 2.5 pipes. It's fairly loud still, nice rumble at idle. I'm considering swapping in one of these VT mufflers.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/dynomax-vt-mufflers

I've always been told by ppl to stay awhile from dynomax muffler because of quality issues.

To me magnaflow is a drone magnet. An option you could go if you don't want drone in cab is going with a corsa, they're pricey and are huge(diesel muffler) but sound great. They don't sell a universal muffler but sell exhaust kits, that's why only the diesel version is easily available which a lot of the LSx guys use. Another is black widow exhaust which also claims to have no drone. I believe they have a sound clip with a 1gr with it on their website. Price is fairly good too.

black widow is interesting

Tom2769

Reaction score
Can RX, I'm strongly considering the Spec U exhaust - the sound clips sound great. How would you compare the volume (for both cruising and accelerating) as compared to stock? I don't necessarily want my exhaust as quiet as stock, but short of a db meter, that's the only point of reference we'd both have...

Red, those Corsa's look interesting...

Can XR

Reaction score
Can RX, I'm strongly considering the Spec U exhaust - the sound clips sound great. How would you compare the volume (for both cruising and accelerating) as compared to stock? I don't necessarily want my exhaust as quiet as stock, but short of a db meter, that's the only point of reference we'd both have...

Red, those Corsa's look interesting...

Replied to PM

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
With my exhaust setup the supercharger whine is about equal in volume with the exhaust. I have no cats, 1 24" magnaflow muffler and 1 vibrant ultra quiet resonator. This setup has zero rasp as well and sounds incredible!

Top Bottom