Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Re-Installing My Supercharger

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the water pump for the s/c, or the engine?

Is that a second battery that I spy?

iniazy

Reaction score
Are you referring to the water pump for the s/c, or the engine?

Is that a second battery that I spy?

I'm referring to the water-to-air intercooler electric pump. And yes, it is an Optima second battery, but right now it is a dead battery. I'm planning to get another one soon. It is installed in an awkward position to make some room for the Rotrex. Only an Optima battery can be fitted like that.

The good news, it turns out the pump is ok, I just had a small electrical problem, nothing else. Now everything is working perfectly. Water is circulating.

I found two small vacuum leaks on the plenum, at a couple of screw locations, which I addressed with a dab of RTV sealant. No big deal.

Got an appointment with my tuner to start tuning it on the dyno on 8th Feb. on the same Mustang dyno I used before the installation. I'm so excited to see the results of the tuning.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this should be quite exciting!

iniazy

Reaction score
Got the Fortuner tuned yesterday. I am very happy with how it feels. Though the numbers are a bit of a let-down, the car feels really lively now.

The car is making 245 HP on the wheels, and 270 lbs.ft, using a Mustang dyno. Although I was hoping for more, I think I'll settle with this to preserve the reliability and longevity of the engine. This is a daily driver and a camping car, so reliability is on the top of my priorities. I believe this is due to the 90 mm pulley, which is a bit larger than typical, and my large 33 inch tires. The power gain is about 35%, and torque gain is about 19%. I know one of Alpine customers is running a 70 mm pulley with the same intake (one less core, and no air guides), and he is making about 400 HP, but I don't think his engine will last long.

My boost gauge showed a maximum boost of 0.6 bar (8.7 PSI) which is higher than I expected, but that's only at really high RPM (around 5500 RPM); most of the driving will enjoy boosts of around 6-7 PSI.

Here's a screen shot of the Dyno monitor:
DSC_0146_zpsx4uuq7m9.jpg

Edit: done a small calculation to predict the actual HP and Torque at the crank.

HP:
Stock fortuner makes 235 HP on the crank. On the wheels with no SC, I'm making 181 HP, that's a 29.8% drivetrain loss. Considering the same percentage, and with the new power figures, that means my engine is making 318 HP on the crank. Not bad!

Torque:
Stock fortuner makes 380 N.M (280 lb.ft) on the crank. On the wheels with no SC I'm getting 227.6 lb.ft, which is a 23% loss. Considering the same percentage of drive train loss, I'm making 332 lb.ft on the crank. That's 450 N.M. Again, not bad!

Last edited:

iniazy

Reaction score
Damn!

Guys, this PerfectPower piggyback system is no good. It can't control the 1GR ECU properly. Keeps jumping from rich to lean and driving me crazy.

I'm seriously considering going for URD's UCON EMC.

Can the UCON EMC be tuned by anyone, or does it have to be tuned by URD?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Primarily by URD. Self adaptive, once the specifics are input.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're absolutely positive that you don't have a vacuum leak?

iniazy

Reaction score
Yes I am quite positive. I'll double check anyway. The thing is I'm getting the exact same symptoms I had in my first (failed) attempt. At low RPM, it's tuned ok, but once I step on it and go to 3000 RPM and above, it starts going haywire, getting extremely rich. No matter what I do, how much I lean it out, it always stays rich.

I read in URD site that the UCON EMS can be used for custom setups but need to be tuned. Anyone can confirm that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redlantern

Reaction score
There's a few that used it for custom turbo applications. I was able to use the UCON on my turbo setup. Gadget helped big time. gadget will need to know your setup as well as Scott who does everything remotely. I'm sure he URD team will be able to help you.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it can be used for yours. Datalog files, and remote access will get your setup where it needs to be. :top:

iniazy

Reaction score
I'm also looking at getting a used APR X1, if anyone knows someone selling it?

iniazy

Reaction score
Wow, good catch Redlantern! Thank you.

He doesn't need to ship it to Saudi, I'll collect it from the US, either myself or my sister will send it to me.

iniazy

Reaction score
I just placed my order for a new UCON Flex from URD. Decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I was seriously considering buying the used X1, but I got worried about support, and it was without the cam sprockets and thermostat. So I wasn't comfortable buying it like that.

I am really concerned about installing the cam sprockets, someone please comfort me. I have seen how stubborn those sprocket nuts can be, and they're almost impossible to break loose without an impact wrench. To get an impact wrench over there without taking the timing chain cover off is probably not possible.

And thinking about all the work I need to undo to get to it; take off the cast aluminum inlet, drain the intercooler coolant, unplug all wiring harnesses from the top of the engine, etc etc. What a mess!

I'm thinking of asking Gadget's team to retard the timing a bit and avoid installing the cam sprockets. I can use them on my other engine I'm toying with, the old one.

I anxiously await the kit to arrive.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark everything. Take lots of pictures. Have a long handle crescent wrench, and a long straight 17mm box wrench. It will be easy enough to remove the bolt for the cam gear.

iniazy

Reaction score
Have a long handle crescent wrench

Crescent wrench? New to me, just looked it up, we call it an adjustable spanner ;)

When I tore down my old engine apart, this was the most difficult part - that is until I got an impact wrench then it became very easy. Same said about the Nissan VG30 engine I rebuilt for my Suzuki Samurai. But I can't do that here.

Gadget

Reaction score
Do not use an impact gun on the engine parts.

Just follow the URD installation instructions and you will be fine.

G

iniazy

Reaction score
Well, here's a disappointing update.

I received the UCON and hooked it up to my ECU, but unfortunately the car refused to start with it installed.

DSC_0167_zpsflwlojbz.jpg

DSC_0168_zpsmjptnxxy.jpg

I double and triple-checked my wiring harness, everything seems to be working. Although the harness is all soldered up from the Perfect Power wiring, it does work without the UCON. I ran the engine with the perfect power only wired to the MAF, nothing else, and it worked:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZ2lJ_iC3o[/ame]

And then ran the car without anything at all wired to the harness, and it ran, albeit very rich due to the larger injectors:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzD8v-nTag[/ame]

Talked to Scott from ITronix to trouble-shoot, he logged in remotely to inspect the software, he found that the software on the flash is correct and everything seems to be working except the Crank signal. He was able to see the MAF signal, Pedal position sensor, throttle position sensor, all except the Crank.

However, wiring the Crank directly does work. And I'm 100% sure it is the same pin location as in the FJ cruiser, because I have used the FJ wiring diagram to wire my perfect power.

I pulled the codes from the OBDII, and got an Ignition Coil codes thrown.
f0d72521-8f05-4b4e-b882-bd9561e80592_zpsvm2n9me9.png

There are two possibilities:
1. The UCON is incompatible with the Fortuner ECU, even though it plugs right in without any problems. This is unlikely, because Scott confirmed that it was the Crank signal that wasn't working and I know it is the same wire used in the FJ Cruiser, and every other signal works perfectly.
2. The UCON has a defect. But this is also unlikely, because they tested the unit on a truck before shipping it. But if it were, then I'm extremely unlucky, because I haven't seen anyone receive a defected unit until now.

I sent it out back to Gadget to test it and verify its operation. Here are some more pictures:

DSC_0169_zpsrjzfduel.jpg

The UCON plugged into the ECU perfectly:

DSC_0170_zpsw4w6dihz.jpg

Had to trim some brackets on the ECU mounting plate to make the UCON fit on the inner side, as it turns out my ECU is flipped upside down compared with the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma:

upper bracket, to hold some plugs:
DSC_0171_zps3ythqe6w.jpg

Lower bracket:

DSC_0172_zpshlodbdc8.jpg

The UCON mounted nicely next to the ECU:
DSC_0173_zpsqnna1g46.jpg

Looks so good, I sure hope it is only a defect, otherwise I'll shed some tears.

Last edited:

Redlantern

Reaction score
Man how unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully this is an easy fix and something very minor. Maybe loose connection in the ucon? Keep us updated. don't see why it wouldn't be compatible if the pin out is the same.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got my bets on something with the previous wiring.

It is to bad you didn't have anyone else close, that you could have tried the UCON in their vehicle.

Top Bottom