Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Re-Installing My Supercharger

iniazy

Reaction score
Yes I did. I've tested ground connectivity using my multimeter directly on the pins coming from the harness plugs; they all passed. Specifically on the blue ground junction.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your ecu is programmed in PAL, whereas the UCON is in NTSC..... Needs to be unlocked. :crinklehair:

iniazy

Reaction score
Maybe your ecu is programmed in PAL, whereas the UCON is in NTSC..... Needs to be unlocked. :crinklehair:

Funny! :laugh:

I'll do one last check up of all ground connections on the harness tomorrow morning. I have a small doubt.

Redlantern

Reaction score
What if you switch your ecu with another to cross check? Worth a shot since you know the ucon works on another vehicle.

iniazy

Reaction score
No luck. Nothing works.

I'm getting the MAP-ECU3 from URD instead of the UCON. Does anyone know if this system works well with a boosted 1GR engine? Can it control all four exhaust sensors?

What if you switch your ecu with another to cross check? Worth a shot since you know the ucon works on another vehicle.

I did try that. I deposited an equivilant of $500 at the wrecker, got an FJ ECU from him, put on in place of the factory ECU. Still the exact same behavior. Works without it, doesn't work with it.

I'm renaming myself to Murphy :dontknow:

Redlantern

Reaction score
Man. That's so weird. As far as the map ecu, I know torspd had map ecu 2 when he had the sts kit at one point. Maybe gadget would know more about map ecu 3

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Map-ECU 3 will work. You will need an additional AFR sensor,or tap into the OEM ones. It works with boosted engines. Has a lot of capabilities.

There is another member on here who has tuned his with the Map3, and run it for a while. Quite easy to tune as long as you can monitor your short and long term fuel trims.

Contact Gadget.

Still very strange that it worked on the Fortuner but not your two ECU's.

iniazy

Reaction score
I just found out about something. The two pins (E47-1 and E47-2), which are part of the in-dash harness that has not been replaced, that are supposed to supply the ECM with 12 Volt power, are not supplying any voltage at all. I've tested it with the ECM off, it doesn't get switch power. Tested with the ECM on, and it seems to get some leaking voltage from the ECM circuitry itself, 3 volts precisely. I think this is the cause of the problem. I stripped down my entire dash to trace down the cause of lack of voltage in those two wires, but all plugs seem to be connected properly. I'm now almost certain this is what's causing the problem.

Somehow, the ECM seems to be able to run without it, maybe by getting sources of power from other pins that do work. I do get power at a couple of other pins.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy smokes! WOW and well done for your perseverance! I too hope this is the cause.

Have you yet found out why there is the loss of power?

iniazy

Reaction score
It shows how resilient those Toyota trucks are. I've had a check engine light coming on every now and then for several years, code P0606, and the diags say to replace either the ECU or the harness. I've always ignored it because the truck ran normally.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It shows how resilient those Toyota trucks are. I've had a check engine light coming on every now and then for several years, code P0606, and the diags say to replace either the ECU or the harness. I've always ignored it because the truck ran normally.

That was the one clue which could have helped out long ago. :crinklehair: I am sure it was in the bass bass your mind though, andpprobably another part of the reason that you replaced the harness.

Do you have any additional wiring in that part of the truck, which hasn't yet been replaced? It could be faulty wiring and need to be essentially put back to stock.

iniazy

Reaction score
Oh boy, do I got wiring there. So many non-stock wiring all over the place, the flood lights, the switches, the aux battery switch, the ARB air locker, and on and on and on. So much mess around there, any of them could have caused this. I'm desperately observing the harness and don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of just bypassing the wiring and supply external switched power to the UCON and ECM. I'm only worried there would be something else that is not getting to it, in addition to those two lines. I think I'll try that and see if it works.

This is how my dash looks like, as of now :thumbdown:

DSC_0278_zps61dib6pr.jpg

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Motivated right there. The definition.

iniazy

Reaction score
Sorry guys for getting you excited prematurely. The issue I have "hoped" to have detected turned out to be a false alarm. I fed the unit with external switched power to see if it would run, but it still wouldn't. So I removed the external switched power and checked the voltage while the unit is plugged in, and it gave me 12 volts. Some how it only supply the 12 volts when it is plugged in, doesn't supply it if it is not plugged in. I don't know how.

Also, still works without the unit.

I have the wierdest 1GR truck in the world, but I just have to accept it and move on. I'm looking to get an alternative solution from URD.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite possibly, In the World...... lol

iniazy

Reaction score
I'm going to try an X1.

The problem with the 1GR is that no piggy-back system can control the fuel properly with larger injectors, other than the UCON and X1. If those two can't, then you have to go with something that can control the injectors directly, and not through the MAF signal. This means triggering the check-engine light and possibly running into limp mode issues. If you can avoid the limp mode (there are ways), you will have to live with the check engine light.

That's why I would rather exhaust my options with the UCON and X1 before I resort to a stand-alone unit.

Dave in South Africa has managed to control a HiLux V6 using a stand-alone unit controlling the injectors directly. He is using the stand-alone only to control the injectors, everything else is controlled with the factory ECU. I'm not sure how he managed to go around limp mode. I will go that route as a last resort.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some people also using Vipec in Australia. Not sure what all is involved in that. There is another member on here selling his X-1, if you haven't seen that yet?

Top Bottom