Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear mount turbo

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been a lurker on this site and am active on tacoma world. Basically I'm researching how to properly setup and tune a rear mounted turbo. My understanding is alot of people on here boost their tacomas vs tacomaworld where most people do not.
I am going custom, however I am planning on it being a very similar setup to the sts. I plan on running around 5-7psi.
Here is my parts list so far
turbo
blow off valve
misc lines
intercooler + piping
fmu
walboro fuel pump ( I Read that you dont need a new fuel pump but I wasn't sure)
oil line

As far as tuning goes, what needs to happen? :hide:

X-roller

Reaction score
upgrade the fuel pump is a must and also the injectors...

zr2ee

Reaction score
there are several of us including me and torspd who have gone with the STS and moved away from it since. i upgraded mine to a front mount as did torspd. the best custom rear mount advice i could give would be to upgrade injectors and fuel pump for sure and not use a vacuum based FMU like the STS (fuel milage goes straight down the tube among other issues), normally i would recommend the APR X-1 for management as would many others but it's no longer in stock and may not be again, others would have a better idea on which management unit to go with. also mount as far forward as possible and find good spot up front for the air filter or a box if you still want to mount it underneath, it gets ridiculously dirty ridiculously fast under the wheel well. skip the EVAP valve like the STS kit has between the air filter and the valve cover...it's worthless and could cause positive pressure in your crankcase if it fails. i went with a straight through vent and added a custom oil catch can.

monies

Reaction score
you should look into the apr turbo kit its one im been reading lately. i found it on ct aka customtacos.com

good info and a lot of pics and vids as well. i have been pm pink pony with question's.

g luck everyone needs boost:blurock:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Map-Ecu3 with a plug n play harness from URD. You can get both there. If there are local performance shops to you, then ask them what the ecu's are that they are comfortable with. I say that because if you aren't by one, the Map-Ecu3 is fairly easy to tune by yourself. But if you are check the price differences between that and what they say.

There is no way around it. You need to upgrade your fuel pump. URD already has an available kit. Perfect for the majority.

I could go on and on forever about things to do to make the rear mount really good. However, zr2ee said it best. We moved forward. Make sure you have a good snorkel.

Or, contact Apr about their rear mount kit. Far superior to STS. Most likely a superior price as well.

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Sounds like an fmu is not an option, as far as turbos go Im looking at used subaru wrx turbos and some nissan turbos. Anything wrong with a turbo like these? I know I would have to get a boost controller for hem if I ever wanted more psi
Also I goggled apr turbo kits and all I got was for audis
There is a local shop called infinite velocity motorsports here in town I will get in contact with.
I just needs to figure out an area to put the airfilter, where did you guys put them?

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Map-Ecu3 with a plug n play harness from URD. You can get both there. If there are local performance shops to you, then ask them what the ecu's are that they are comfortable with. I say that because if you aren't by one, the Map-Ecu3 is fairly easy to tune by yourself. But if you are check the price differences between that and what they say.

There is no way around it. You need to upgrade your fuel pump. URD already has an available kit. Perfect for the majority.

I could go on and on forever about things to do to make the rear mount really good. However, zr2ee said it best. We moved forward. Make sure you have a good snorkel.

Or, contact Apr about their rear mount kit. Far superior to STS. Most likely a superior price as well.

I dont see why you couldnt do like they did on trucks on spike tv. They did a rear mount kit and cut a whole in the bed and routed the filter to inside a toolbox in the bed to prevent wet n dirty. They also made some aie flow hole through the side of the toolbox. I tried finding pics of it but i cant.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an fmu is not an option, as far as turbos go Im looking at used subaru wrx turbos and some nissan turbos. Anything wrong with a turbo like these? I know I would have to get a boost controller for hem if I ever wanted more psi
Also I goggled apr turbo kits and all I got was for audis
There is a local shop called infinite velocity motorsports here in town I will get in contact with.
I just needs to figure out an area to put the airfilter, where did you guys put them?

www.aprpower.com :top: You will likely have to call to inquire about it, as I don't believe they have it on the website.

Those turbos are for 2.0 litre motors. You need one for a 4.0L motor. A GT35R, or Precision 6262 or 6265. :top:

I dont see why you couldnt do like they did on trucks on spike tv. They did a rear mount kit and cut a whole in the bed and routed the filter to inside a toolbox in the bed to prevent wet n dirty. They also made some aie flow hole through the side of the toolbox. I tried finding pics of it but i cant.

There is still so much more to a rear mount that they didn't have time to cover. Such as a lot of the small inconspicuous problems that quickly present themselves. There are only two "entities" that can do a rear mount properly on this website. APR, and me.

Rear mounts are capapble of being good. You just have to overly build them with careful planning, and you will have a very well performing one. I.E. crush gaskets have no place in a rear mount....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would listen to Torspd. He has a lot of experience, both good and bad. He has paid the price for his experience. I don't mean that in a bad way. I just mean that he has found through experience what doesn't work, and now he has it down. If I was going to do a turbo, I would check with him and APR. I haven't heard anything good about that STS package. Don't get that electric turbo, the hairdryer/snail, piece of junk, scam.

Renotacoma

Reaction score
I guess I was not completely clear, Im doing a budget turbo build. I am not trying to make this a drag car. Im going to get a used turbo from either a nissan or a wrx. When want/need more power I will upgrade accordingly

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you either upgrade the turbo housing to T4 inlet or get a different used turbo, the inlet from those turbos will be too small. Get a used turbo similar to what I said. It will save you in the future.

Renotacoma

Reaction score
ok, Ill look for a t4 turbo. Any other cars that come with it stock? I believe wrxs are t3

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Alright, so my reading says these motors will not last with more than 10psi of boost? I intend to run 6-7psi tops

SicilianMobster

Reaction score
I just sold my truck but im here in reno so if you need any help with the install let me know

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Alright so the air filter will go somewhere in the bed, Possibly in one of the holding compartments of in the corner with some protection of some sort. I cant see doing it any other way with out it getting dirty quick

X'ED

Reaction score
like torspd said,the wrx /nissan turbos are too small, you will over spool and choke it out, a gt35r is good, somewhere about a 60 trim compressor and 74 turbine, is what ive been told and what im looking for.. i know a guy (reed) here at www.workturbochargers.com, he is real good at what he does.. just dont waste your time with a turbo thats too small , ebay turbos and not mapped for your applacation...

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Im am currently looking at the garrett t4 turbo. Wrx/ similar size turbos are out of the question now.

Toon714

Reaction score
get a garret gt35r ball bearing with TiAl housing. .63 v band in and out.
tahts wat i have.

Top Bottom