Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear mount turbo

X-roller

Reaction score
there are several of us including me and torspd who have gone with the STS and moved away from it since. i upgraded mine to a front mount as did torspd. the best custom rear mount advice i could give would be to upgrade injectors and fuel pump for sure and not use a vacuum based FMU like the STS (fuel milage goes straight down the tube among other issues), normally i would recommend the APR X-1 for management as would many others but it's no longer in stock and may not be again, others would have a better idea on which management unit to go with. also mount as far forward as possible and find good spot up front for the air filter or a box if you still want to mount it underneath, it gets ridiculously dirty ridiculously fast under the wheel well. skip the EVAP valve like the STS kit has between the air filter and the valve cover...it's worthless and could cause positive pressure in your crankcase if it fails. i went with a straight through vent and added a custom oil catch can.

Map-Ecu3 with a plug n play harness from URD. You can get both there. If there are local performance shops to you, then ask them what the ecu's are that they are comfortable with. I say that because if you aren't by one, the Map-Ecu3 is fairly easy to tune by yourself. But if you are check the price differences between that and what they say.

There is no way around it. You need to upgrade your fuel pump. URD already has an available kit. Perfect for the majority.

I could go on and on forever about things to do to make the rear mount really good. However, zr2ee said it best. We moved forward. Make sure you have a good snorkel.

Or, contact Apr about their rear mount kit. Far superior to STS. Most likely a superior price as well.

This is good information but I am as well planning on running an STS kit which was running well on the last set up it was on. It can be done and will be done. Some of the high horse power corvettes are running STS kits we just don't have a big enough market that we can have STS make us a solid kit. We get a kit that is pieced together and then requires upgrades almost immediately... The STS kits can be extremely solid but since like I said our market sucks so we gotta make it a solid kit. Don't think a rear mount is a bad idea because ther is pros and cons to every set up.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well then. Seems time to start adding pointers if two of you are going to be doing it.

First thing I would do, for the both of you, is to get a catch can, and have the both sides of the motor vent to it, with a breather filter on it. That is the easiest way to prevent the crank case from seeing boosted pressures.

triumphx

Reaction score
Precision 6262 $899 shipped to your door, Thats what im running and a great turbo for reasonabe price

Renotacoma

Reaction score
The garrett t4 im looking at is 300$. I need to figure out a tune, my plan right now is to use the relfash form the dealer as a base and then get some thing that isnt a ton $$$$

triumphx

Reaction score
The flash tune for trd s/c will not work, you need a tuning device. Map-ecu is a very good afordable alternative. I just ordered mine today and getting rid of my greddy emanage. Whats the specs of the turbo you looking at? A/R for both sides? v-band?

Toon714

Reaction score
why wont the reflash work? i think it would....
its runs the supercharger.

triumphx

Reaction score
My guess is you would have to find a turbo that has a similar powerband as a s/c, meaning it would be tiny to spool quick enough to send it from the rear of the truck and match the fuel. With a good sixed turbo it would run pig rich at low rpms where the s/c would make power and then it would prob run lean the higher rpms you went. IMO It would be a waste of time and money and possibly blow the motor. Just skip the half ass way and get a map-ecu. This is just a guess as i am not familiar with s/c's

Toon714

Reaction score
u got a point.
ya ima tune my front mount setup with a tuner.
and i already got my wiring diagram for 09+ :rockon:
thx to a special person ;)

Toon714

Reaction score
proefi 48
the cheaper version compare to marks elite proefi 128

i chose the proefi kuz of the flex fuel sensor.
i wanna run e85 and switch to pump gas with out changing my tune. :top:

X-roller

Reaction score
the guy selling the e-manage get in contact with me. :top:

also would the ttc catch can be a good choice Torspd?

Last edited:

Renotacoma

Reaction score
How much is an affordable tune that works/ is a startbase guys :dontknow:

Toon714

Reaction score
Map ecu3 can be easily tuned.
Pro efi u gotta go to a shop to tune it for u.
Is the best 2 choice for a turbo setup.

X-roller

Reaction score
Map ecu3 can be easily tuned.
Pro efi u gotta go to a shop to tune it for u.
Is the best 2 choice for a turbo setup.

Beg to differ..... Get in contact with Dezod Motorsports. They will supply you with a plug and play AEM Standalone unit with a base map to get you started. :top:

So top 3 choices...

monies

Reaction score
the best would be the X-1 swap between tunes with a thumb drive. 93 and a e85 tune. its going to be hard to jump back in forth with the higher injector pulse needed for e85. thats to say you can find one under a rock. :hmmmm2:

triumphx

Reaction score
the guy selling the e-manage get in contact with me. :top:

also would the ttc catch can be a good choice Torspd?
What up? pm me with offer

Beg to differ..... Get in contact with Dezod Motorsports. They will supply you with a plug and play AEM Standalone unit with a base map to get you started. :top:

So top 3 choices...
Whats the setup run? Also i would not recommend a standalone unit unless you are very familiar with tuning

Last edited:

Renotacoma

Reaction score
The project has begun, just got my blow off valve. I need to figure out a tune, droping 1600$ on a 7th injector and map 3 ecu is not an option. Any suggestions?
318530_283362021675102_100000039184531_1188758_122797993_n.jpg

triumphx

Reaction score
How much psi are you running? Why do you need a 7th injector?

Renotacoma

Reaction score
Im going to be running 5-6psi, I called urd and that is what they recommended

Top Bottom