Replace valve springs, seats, seals with heads installed?

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by armyoffoo, Jun 16, 2017.

1. armyoffoo

armyoffoo New Member

Has anyone replaced the valve springs, seats and seals with the heads still installed? Any tips to offer, other than using compressed air to keep valves from falling in?

#1 armyoffoo, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

What issue have you run into? Or just trying to upgrade without going to that length?

There was a guy on TW who was able to remove the instake cams without removing the timing cover. Were you able to do so as well, then compressed air would work for you I suppose. If going to stiffer springs, I just don't see how you'd have the pressure to push back strong enough for you to get the retainers on?

3. armyoffoo

armyoffoo New Member

I was looking to upgrade without taking timing cover and the heads off...I took advantage of LCE's father's day sale and ordered some stiffer springs today. If I have to remove the heads, I'll probably take advantage and do some other work while I'm at it. I was going to use a spring compression tool, do you think I'll have that hard a time with the Pro Dual valve springs, I'm not going HD or beehive.

4. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

They took quite a bit of force to compress, when I had a the head on a wooden bench, with a rag stuffed into the combustion chamber.

5. armyoffoo

armyoffoo New Member

Well shit, they make it look so easy on youtube...

6. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Those double springs, have some muscles!