REPLACEMENT FILTER FOR GEN 1 TRD CAI?

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by hapamulan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. hapamulan

hapamulan Member

Finally have one on the way, can someone point me in the right direction for a suitable replacement filter?

2. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I looked into this once. I remember that knowing the dimensions was the key. I think AFE or K&N makes them & they were about $80. They are reusable so if the one that comes with it is in decent shape I would clean it up. If not you can get a new filter.

hapamulan likes this.
  3. autobodyX

autobodyX Active Member

URD offers filters. I run a amsoil filter.

hapamulan likes this.
  4. hapamulan

hapamulan Member

Sorry guys, I should've been more specific. Do either of you know what size I need? The intake is en route but I was hoping to order a filter prior so I can get it installed asap once it arrives.

I was thinking the AFE was a pretty safe bet since it's supposed to be identical right?

5. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

hapamulan likes this.
  6. hapamulan

hapamulan Member

7. XeddeX

XeddeX Member

OEM n/a is a non-oiled panel filter.
    OEM supercharged is an oiled KN panel filter
    TRD Gen1 CAI is an oiled KN conical filter.

People tend to over oil the "oiled" type filter during the cleaning process. The excess oil residue can possibly damage the MAF sensor in the intake tract. And if they under oil the "oiled" type filter during cleaning, then it supposedly doesn't filter as well.

hapamulan likes this.
  8. hapamulan

hapamulan Member

Ah, so oiled is superior if done correctly which apparently is more challenging than it would seem

Underoil with a pre filter seems like a safe bet

9. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I run a non-oiled filter (the one I linked) with the pre-filter. Been that way for almost 60k miles supercharged. Ran it with the trd oiled filter for most of it's life before that. I'm up to 225K now.

hapamulan likes this.
  10. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I haven't had any problems with the oiled one. It's a pain cleaning it. I always make sure it is absolutely dry before oiling it. I use the K&N cleaning kit from O'Reilly's. The oil is red and the filter is white so it's easy to see how your doing. I like the idea of a dry filter it sounds easier.

hapamulan likes this.