Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Replacement synchronizers?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I got an email from the Toyota of Dallas parts store today. The 33396 synchro ring has been discontinued. There are three of these used in our transmissions, in 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Knowing that, I have canceled my order for the other synchro rings as a rebuild is out of the question unless I can source the parts elsewhere. It's so frustrating to have a vehicle with 65k miles with severe transmission problems and not to be able to get the necessary parts to try and fix it. (Emphasis on try, as I know the track record on the AY6's longevity isn't very good, nor the rebuild attempts very successful.) At this point, I'm really thinking I'll just put in my new clutch and throwout bearing and see how long the transmission holds up. My only other options are T56 which I can't afford right now, a new one for around $2,500, or a rebuilt one for around $1700. Can anyone tell me if the newer, revised slave cylinder would be of benefit?
(EDIT)
Shot Toyota of Dallas an email to double check and make sure the part numbers haven't changed/been replaced or superseded by another number, waiting for a reply.

I replaced the slave on mine when my synchros were going bad. Had close to 100k on it. It made no noticeable difference.

Might not be the same for you. The slave cylinder rebuild kit is really cheap. Another available option is to source an overseas/South American manual 5 speed. It will bolt up, but you will likely have to have its crossmember, as well as possibly alter the length of the drive shaft. I have no idea what all is actually entailed. Then it comes down to how much the cost differences are between that, replace in with a used AY6, or doing the T-56 swap.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Ok, so I never got a response back in regards to the synchro ring being replaced by another part number from Toyota Parts of Dallas/TRD Parts 4U, so I called Toyota and spoke to a representative. I was able to find out that synchro ring 33369-35060 is still a good part, and is still being manufactured and should be available. I'm going try reordering the parts and we'll see how it goes.
(EDIT)
I found out it was part 33369-12012 that had been discontinued, as it shows on their parts page. Somehow, I was trying to order this ring instead of 33369-35060... Human error on my part, not sure how I did that but I'm sure it won't be the last mistake I ever make. I'm placing my order tonight and will update again after my shop rebuilds my transmission.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's great. Keep us posted. :top:

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Update

I finished sourcing all my parts for my transmission rebuild. At 66,000 miles, I'm not worried about bearings in the transmission so we're just replacing synchro rings. In addition, I've got my URD Clutch and TOB kit, exhaust gaskets as part of the exhaust has to be dropped, flywheel bolts, and some Redline gear oil. Here's a picture of all my goodies, close to $1,000 spent so far for those interested in cost. Truck goes into the shop on Monday (6/8/15) and I'll keep you posted as I get news from them.

Attachments

• 20150605_114137.jpg
    20150605_114137.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 559

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
One step closer. Fingers crossed that it all goes together smoothly. As well as works better than before.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Talked to my shop yesterday (Tuesday). He called me and told me I was missing a set of synchro rings. I went up there and we talked, and it appears 2nd and 1st use the same 3 piece set of synchro rings. I can't remember if it was the 33037 or 33038 set as he's got my diagram sheets I marked up from Toyota. After talking, we decided since first gear works really well, we'd leave the first gear synchros alone and replace 2nd gear's (even though 2nd wasn't much of an issue...yet). I think he'll have it ready for me today (Wednesday) and if so, I'll update again. While we were talking, he mentioned that the night before he started working on my truck he got online to research our transmission and it's problems before starting on mine. I thought that was pretty cool. (He also talked to me a little bit about racing his 62' Mini Cooper in his "old man" racing circuit he's in) He's saving my synchro rings, so I'll take a picture of them and post it up so you can see the wear when I get the truck back.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Finished

Got my truck back and all I can say is wow... that's what this thing is supposed to feel like. Transmission shifts like butter and the annoying throw out bearing cricket orchestra is gone. We ended up changing out all the synchro rings except 1st which works fine. All the supplied parts were correct so all I had to pay my shop was the 850 dollars of labor (10 hours I believe). The URD stage 2 clutch is a little stiffer out of the box than the old stock unit was, but nothing crazy. It's also quite a bit grabbier than the stock unit was and overall I'm very pleased with it (Thanks to Gadget for the high quality parts). I hope this build/repair can help anyone else out there who has contemplated a rebuild. Final cost was a round $1850. If I'd have ordered the ring set for 1st gear, it would have been about 75 dollars more. Thanks to all who have followed this thread.

justin13703

Reaction score
Got my truck back and all I can say is wow... that's what this thing is supposed to feel like. Transmission shifts like butter and the annoying throw out bearing cricket orchestra is gone. We ended up changing out all the synchro rings except 1st which works fine. All the supplied parts were correct so all I had to pay my shop was the 850 dollars of labor (10 hours I believe). The URD stage 2 clutch is a little stiffer out of the box than the old stock unit was, but nothing crazy. It's also quite a bit grabbier than the stock unit was and overall I'm very pleased with it (Thanks to Gadget for the high quality parts). I hope this build/repair can help anyone else out there who has contemplated a rebuild. Final cost was a round $1850. If I'd have ordered the ring set for 1st gear, it would have been about 75 dollars more. Thanks to all who have followed this thread.

Sweet I'm glad they could get it taken care of, hopefully it holds up for a while. As far as the new clutch, give it some time to break in and it will get much smoother. My stage 3 when new was so grabby I wouldn't dare go through drive thru's or park in the garage. After a month or two though it was almost as smooth as stock

x-runner kid

Reaction score
That's awesome. Pretty sure this is the first time I have heard about a successful trans rebuild for our trucks. You'll have to keep us all updated on how it holds up. Great job though

Redline

Reaction score
I do not know of anyone that has taken one of those transmissions apart, replaced syncros and gotten it back together successfully yet. Many have tried and ended up in worse shape.

G

I used to work for Toyota and i had mine rebuilt even though i was out off warranty. It did take them 3 weeks but ever since had 0 issues and its been well over a year. It really depends who is doing the rebuild. I had one of the master techs in the shop do minel

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
I'm glad to know the clutch will smooth out some, just breaking it in nice and easy. My mechanic was really impressed with the URD throw out bearing kit. He thought it was a pretty ingenious fix for that problem. Visually the synchronizers all look fine, but he said the reason 3rd had gotten so bad is because it's one of the multi piece sets and those pieces had worn down to the point where they couldn't spin freely within one another like they are supposed to. Hopefully the red line and newer Toyota rings will help prevent that. I'll update occasionally, but I only put 6-8k miles on my truck each year. Thanks for the support, glad to be a part of the X community.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man. I really wish you'd have been able to get some pictures of your messup up synchronizers. Either way, it is great to hear that it is running like it should. :top:

There is a new thread about removing the accumulator, on the side of the trans, for the clutch. Apparently that helps keep thing smoother as well. Might be worth looking into.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Syncrhos and Accumulator

Thanks for the info on the accumulator. I might look into this more. As for the Synchronizers, there really isn't any visible wear to speak of, but I'll go ahead and post up a few pictures of them. My mechanic said most of the wear was on the multi-piece set from third gear where each piece fits into one another. They'd worn down to the point where they fit too snugly within one another. (Edit - the teeth around the outside of 4th and 3rd gear were pretty chewed up. They're suppose to be squared off, but are pretty rounded off compared to some of the others. 4th has the masking tape on it in the pictures and third is the multi piece set in the third photo or better lit photo .)

Attachments

• Syn 1.JPG
    Syn 1.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 529
  • 20150612_180705_resized.jpg
    20150612_180705_resized.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 647
  • 20150612_180720_resized.jpg
    20150612_180720_resized.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 555
  • 20150612_180731_resized.jpg
    20150612_180731_resized.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

bobber bill

Reaction score
How's your rebuild holding up? Thanks for doing the footwork and documenting btw

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Any updates on how the rebuild is holding up as far as shifting goes?

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Rebuilt Trans

Any updates on how the rebuild is holding up as far as shifting goes?

Transmission is holding up great. It's got about 6k on it now, and has gotten smoother as the miles have gone up. It never grinds in any gear, but I still tend to take my shifts nice and easy the majority of the time as I'd like for this to be the last time it has to be rebuilt. I've done a little speed shifting and some down shifting to 2nd and 3rd and haven't had any problems. I didn't replace the first gear synchro, and occasionally if I don't come to a complete stop, it'll go in a little notchy, but no grind. Worth every penny I spent.:top:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
That's awesome to hear. I'm pretty sure this is the first successful rebuild that I have at least heard of.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Update: It's now been 20,000 miles since I had my transmission rebuilt. Everything works and shifts exactly as it should. Looking back, I wish I would have ordered the replacement synchro for first gear, but I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait after ordering the wrong part since first gear worked fine. As long as I come to a stop or close to it, I can shift into first without a problem though. Miles fly when you're having fun.

spicciani2

Reaction score
Last edited:

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Correct, if you're having grinding issues/difficulties getting into specific gear(s), it's likely that your synchros are worn. I believe you need 33369-35060 (X3), 33038-35010, 33037-35050 (X2), 33381-35010 to replace all 7 synchro rings. I would call first and verify these part numbers and quantities are correct. I ordered the 6 synchros in the picture I posted on the first page of this thread. This got me all the synchros I needed except for 1st gear, and 1st uses the same ring as one of the other gears. I couldn't hardly shift into third and fourth, and it would grind every single time. I'm at 92k on my truck now and have had the rebuild for about 30k and it's holding up great. As I mentioned previously, I did not replace the first gear synchro, so I have to come to a complete stop to downshift to first or else it's a little notchy.

Top Bottom