Roll Cage

Discussion in 'Interior Modifications' started by JayJay, Oct 26, 2007.

1. JayJay

JayJay New Member

Has any one put a roll cage and a five point harness in the X yet?

2. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Active Member

I have a 4-point harness that I use for autocrossing, no roll cage though. And the way my 4-point is set up, it wouldn't be safe in the case of an accident. But for autocross, it keeps me from going all over the place.

3. morcheez

morcheez New Member

this is the only one i could think of ...its the trd xrunner

[​IMG]

4. PLCX

PLCX Active Member

y couldnt our trucks come stock like that

5. 07SWB

07SWB Active Member

because not everyone bought an Xrunner to put harnesses and racing buckets in it..

the only things in that interior that i want are the dark color carpet and the seats. i dont want harnesses for my daily driver and that guage setup is ugly.

As for a rollcage, if you arent racing competitivly i would think it will only slow you down from all the extra weight?

6. morcheez

morcheez New Member

i want the steering wheel [​IMG]

7. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Active Member

That is so sick!! :rock:

8. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Active Member

9. 07SWB

07SWB Active Member

TRD 3-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel,w/SRS air bag, colors available ** OFF ROAD or SHOW CAR use ONLY, air bag deployment will not occur on impact, not suitable for street**

than why even have an airbag in the wheel?

10. PLCX

PLCX Active Member

but what model do you buy?

11. mjp2

mjp2 New Member

Ok, I've already got 2 strikes against me for 1) reviving a dead thread and 2) not driving an X. :damnmate: Hopefully my contribution will be useful since it's still a caged Access Cab.

My goal is to cage the truck while still keeping the thing functional as a daily driver. I'm using Mastercraft ProSeats with Crow Enterprises 5-point harnesses. It's still a work in progress but you'll get an idea of what's been involved.

Because of headroom issues (I had to pull the visor off to see even with the stock seats) I pulled the headliner and had the seats mounted as low as possible, which required banging the floor relatively flat, pulling the wiring channels (they'll be replaced), and bolting the seats directly to the truck frame using some custom spacers.

The cage is tied to the frame through the use of doubler plates sandwiching the floorpan. The bottom plate is supported by a bracket welded directly to the frame.

It's all 2" .120 wall 4130 chromoly tubing except for the dash bar. To keep the gauges visible we used a 1.25" tube. The side glass was replaced with lexan to pass the rear support tubes through, and those pass through the floor of the bed and are (now, but not in the pictures) welded directly to the frame. The frame has been boxed below the connection for added strength.

If all goes well the truck should be out of the shop in another month and a half. Then my work, and the fun, begins! :rock:

Hope some of this helps anyone who is/was considering a cage!

Attached Files:

12. morcheez

morcheez New Member

thats pretty sweet...i bet u feel safe in there:biggrin:

13. rexrunner

rexrunner Active Member

awesome job bro :top: btw do you wanna sell any interior pieces:biggrin:

14. emo_X

emo_X New Member

i have thought about it, it would be simple like the trd one but with some added stuff :top:

15. mjp2

mjp2 New Member

Thanks! :biggrin:

Most of the interior is actually going back in! It wasn't originally the plan, but with the way things are turning out almost all of the trim will fit back in place. (I'm as shocked as anybody!) Even the door panels are going to stick around -- they just needed some minor armrest trimming and will get some color-matching leather to cover up the hack.

I've already got a guy buying my TRD seats to swap out his bench. I wasn't even aware that the Gen 2 Tacomas were available with bench seats but it worked out well for me!

If anybody around NJ is looking for some fabrication work, Carroll's Rod & Racecraft does some sick work.
    http://www.carrollsrodandrace.com/
    http://www.neverliftracecraft.com/main.html (their old site)

Just call them after my truck is done! :laugh:

16. mjp2

mjp2 New Member

BTW, what parts are you looking for? I'll see what's still intact when I stop in on Saturday.

17. TitanRattler813

TitanRattler813 Well-Known Member

Someone on here is looking for center console. I believe NHXRUNNER

18. rexrunner

rexrunner Active Member

just a carpet provided its in good condition

19. utixrunner

utixrunner New Member

what happened to yours? I had mine replaced under warranty might be worth a shot:dontknow:

20. rexrunner

rexrunner Active Member

upholster messed it up:thumpdown: and i want a factory carpet but there lik 300 for me