rough idle at cold start?????

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by TEK-X, Dec 15, 2010.

1. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

My X idles rough on cold starts and gets better when it reaches operating temperature but still has a little shake to it. feels like a small cylinder miss fire. Woundries Toyota claims that is a normal conditions. Anyone else have this problem..

2. Super Werty

Super Werty Active Member

how cold is it?

3. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

Just L.A. temperature.. not to cold. 23500 miles on it. Still under warranty.. anyone purposely blow the engine to get a new one under warranty. I'm going to do a compression test and a leak down test.

4. Super Werty

well if its still under warranty I would have the dealer take a look. It shouldnt be mis-firing.

until then check all your hoses and electrical connections under the hood

5. LateOnTheBrakes

Mine is an '09 and it has been doing it the last few days as well. It has been below freezing here though. It sounds like it is missing.

6. Super Werty

maybe it got cold enough for a vacuum hose to crack?

7. burnboy

burnboy New Member

Run a can of sea foam through a tank of gas first. Just try it

8. rich017

rich017 Active Member

Throwing any codes?

It was 25 the other morning down here in FL and my truck was running a lil rough until it warmed up.

9. Sproulesxrunner

Sproulesxrunner Active Member

Man... I wish I could complain about 25 F. My X seems to idle a little rough on a cold start but that was at -22 Fahrenheit... Do you guys park the X in a heated garage? Mine has a tendency if I leave it out to have a harder start then idle rough.

10. rich017

rich017 Active Member

-22 is why it was rough.

11. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine is a lil rough when it's cold out, at start rpms go from 1500 down to 750 once it's warm. Always let your truck warm up before driving!

12. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

I took it to the dealer 3 times already, the first two times they said that's normal and found no codes the 3rd time I took it I unpluged coil #3 and 5 to give them a code when I got it back they informed me they changed 5 and 6 coils. That was a little over a month ago and its doing the same thing again but feels worse to me. What should I unplug next. Hahaha

the coldest its been in L.A. IS 52 DEGREES

#12 TEK-X, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  13. burnboy

burnboy New Member

You can't confirm a dead miss or even random multiples. No dtc's. Then its not missing. Right? The sea foam is a good fuel conditioner. Use premium fuel with a can mixed in and well, it does good things. But as rich said in another thread, I must not know anything about automobiles. And if you're not familiar, sea foam is sold at any auto store or walmart etc. Also do it a tank full before an oil change as it can effect oils viscosity. Through blow by and such.