Scopes

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Discussions' started by skygear, Feb 11, 2020.

1. mejbro

mejbro Active Member

Hmm... I've only used traditional head bolts. It looks like an advantage would be that it would hold the gasket in place during reassembly? I guess it's a matter of preference. I just always go with "the devil I know".

skygear likes this.
  2. mejbro

mejbro Active Member

Transmission jack - don't laugh, but the harbor freight one was awesome for me. I worked with 6 ton jack stands and got the truck up about 20" to the side skirts. Lowered the tranny onto a blanket and pulled it from underneath the truck.
    Engine stand - I bought a "normal" one, but I had to buy longer bolts, the same size as our tranny mounting bolts, and cut a half inch from the engine stand tubes to make it work.
    If possible, find a stand that rotates... it would help you to remove the rods / pistons, crank, oil pan...
    I believe I read somewhere credible that 1gr internals could take in the ballpark of 400hp.
    Tranny, not so much...

skygear likes this.
  3. mejbro

mejbro Active Member

Can't go wrong with that exhaust setup, she really sings at 80+...
    Haven't seen anything about HP output of just the Stroker Kit.
    But then again, the numbers would only be relative to the tune.

skygear likes this.
  4. mejbro

mejbro Active Member

Sweet transmission cooler!
    When I installed the CSF Radiator there were more fittings that I didn't plumb into, I believe those are for automatic transmission.
    You're right though, I would think the gains have to be substantial with more displacement. That's gonna be a badass truck!

skygear likes this.
  5. shane881510

shane881510 Active Member

Did U make sure to get the 80lbs injectors instead of the 60lb that come with the kit originally. And if ur doing head gaskets, do cometic the first time and arp head studs Or you be back in it again later.

skygear likes this.
  6. mejbro

mejbro Active Member

Quite the predicament you're in. So, you're beefing up the valve train then the Stroker Kit? If you don't go through too many heat cycles and you stick to your 2 - 3 month plan, then maybe buy the high end head studs and re-use? ( I would definitely ask the vendor )
    I personally have never re-used Torque to Yield hardware. Me and another mechanic oversee and maintain the PM programs on industrial equipment at 16 Import / Export Terminals in the U.S.
    He always re-uses the original 5/8" Torque to Yield coupling bolts ( 180 ft/lbs ) when performing our 3000 hour Coupling check / inspection / repack. I have NEVER re-used them... I order them weeks in advance and ALWAYS install new ones. I say that to say this... Neither one of us has had a failure, lol!
    But then again, that example is still Apples and Oranges

7. shane881510

ARP head studs don’t get replaced each time. The arp head bolts do. The studs do not. Cometic head gasket are the best for these engines. The felpro are multi layer gaskets but not as good as Cometic.

skygear likes this.
  8. shane881510

The arp head studs or the nuts that come with it does not get replaced. U only replace if you use factory style head bolts. I used .51 thickness head gaskets from cometic

skygear likes this.
  9. shane881510

No problem. I used the factory head gaskets once and turned out bad. Went with the arp studs and cometic and been good. I run 16psi of Boost at 6200 and it’s been holding up. I need to do my valve springs and valves and up the rpm more.

skygear likes this.
  10. shane881510

Made 449hp and 400tq. I was upset with the numbers because the -81 made 438hp.

mejbro and skygear like this.
  11. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

For your setup, I would use it just for the additional head room, but for a normal URD Stage 2 or 3 it is not needed.

skygear likes this.