Slight issues after clutch replacement

Discussion in 'N/A Mods & Tuning' started by killer2239, Feb 19, 2014.

1. killer2239

killer2239 New Member

So I had to replace my clutch and flywheel a few months ago and since I have been having some difficulties going into gear. I have the URD Stage 3 clutch and flywheel combo along with the throwout bearing upgrade kit. My mechanic / friend installed the clutch for me. It was just before it started getting real cold outside and I only get to drive my truck 2 days a week due to my weekly travel for work.

So I didn't notice anything the first 2 weeks because I barely got to drive it. However as I started driving more and had the holiday break from work I notice that its a pain in the ass to get in gear most of the time. Seems to be worse when its 20F outside and I start it up in the morning. But its like I have to pump the clutch a few times, which gives me the feeling the clutch lines could need re-bled. But even once it is warmed up I have a hard time getting into first gear. It almost feels like first gear lockout is happening, but if I go into 3rd gear then into 1st gear it will go in. I have to do this 90% of the time I come to a complete stop. Not sure if its a combination of things or what. Occasionally, and I mean occasionally it will give me trouble when shifting gears driving, but never to the extent where it wont go in, just some resistance.

We will be getting it back up on the lift here in the next week or 2 but I wanted to post up on here to see if anyone has any advice, seen this or similar issue before to provide some feedback. We will be starting with the clutch lines / bleeding first, not sure what he would check next.

2. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

It could need bled or adjusted. They will never go into gear smooth though even when they're brand new, the transmissions in these things are just complete junk

3. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

You are not getting sufficient release on the clutch.

Could be air in the lines, but there should not be. Did they disconnect the clutch lines at all? If so you likely have air trapped in the system.

The second thing might just be that the clutch was not properly adjusted when installed. Big problem on this one. Seems professional mechanics cannot grasp the concept on how to adjust the clutch.

G

4. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

it is not uncommon for the clutch to be 'stiff' in the cold until the truck warms up. As for the shifting issue, if you can remove the inspection cover and see if you can manually push the shift fork/slave cylinder back by hand to determine if the system is under a load. If you can there is no load being placed on the clutch, but if you can;t push it in there is a hydraulic load on the clutch..

heres a vid
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBXW65Q2FU[/ame]

skip to 3:25 and you will see what I mean

5. killer2239

killer2239 New Member

Gadget, I am by no means a mechanic here. Can you briefly describe what you mean by adjusted properly?

The mechanics have worked on Toyota's for 25+ years for the father and 15 years by the son. Never had issues with 2 of my other cars they did clutches in. So I would assume they adjusted / installed correctly, but if you're able to describe what you mean I will ask him. I am hoping it is just some air in the line. But like I said just in case it is not I wanted to see where might be the next place to look.

Thanks for the advice guys!

6. TRON

TRON Member

Yes, I have the same exact problems with my shifting after URD clutch upgrade. Toyota did the install, Im confident the clutch has suffcient release and my fork/slave cylinder can definitely be pushed back by hand. Toyota mechanic said the lines were never disconnected. It would be great to find out the exact problem and solution! Please update this thread if/ when you find the fix! I have adjusted the clutch pedal rod in small fractions, however, I think it's something more to it. Gadgets right, seems to be common... that professional mechanics can't adjust properly.

7. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

You can reach URD Tech Support at 877-887-3872 x3.

G

8. TRON

TRON Member

Regardless of these minor issues, I will say the URD clutch grabs great!:top:

9. sonic555u

sonic555u Member

Aww man your scaring me I just bought a set-up like that urd stage 3+ with the light flywheel combo its currently on the way I hope my install goes smooth and perfect.

10. killer2239

killer2239 New Member

I HIGHLY doubt it has anything to do with the URD parts. Everything from URD has been top notch. I think / hope its something simple like the clutch bleeding. Once we get it on the lift in 2 weeks we will find the problem. Well should be about 2 weeks from now.

11. sonic555u

sonic555u Member

Cool man cause all I want is the best for my baby to run good and smooth I can wait for the install Im all exited to see how the truck will performed the parts are at fedex right, they dont work on the weekends so i will get them tomorrow or the day after.