Slip Yoke Help!

Discussion in 'N/A Mods & Tuning' started by madtrucker, Oct 10, 2016.

1. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I went to the stealership for an oil change today and they told me my front yoke is leaking. The technical name for it is Universal Joint Sleeve Yoke. They only sell the entire drive shaft for $1200 dollars, installed. I see no need to buy the whole shaft for 1 little yoke. It's a hard part to find. It's made by Spicer/Dana, I think. Anybody no about this part or where to get it? Help me out here.

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Pics of the leak? Sure it's not the output shaft on the trans. See those go quite often. I've already done mine once.

3. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

No I don't have any pics. Just what the tech told me. He gave me a diagram of the driveshaft. He says the first part that goes into the tranny w/ the splines on it. Is leaking. It goes from the tranny to the 1st u-joint. All the ones I've ever seen just have an outer seal and are easy as all hell to change. I found a few people talking about it on the web but no solutions yet. I think I can buy it from Spicer but they want part numbers. It just doesn't seem like it's going to be an easy part to find.

4. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Lets find out exactly what is leaking. Sounds like a rip off in progress to me.

hypertaco likes this.
  5. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I'm with Gadget. I think it's probably just the seal on the trans output shaft. It's like an $8 part.

6. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, can you guys post a pic of this? If it's a common issue I want to check mine while I'm under there doing some maintenance in the near future. Especially if you've already had to change yours twice @NHXRUNNER .

7. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I've only changed my once. And I'm not sure I took any pictures of the leak. The only thing I remember about the whole ordeal was DO NOT REMOVE THE SEAL until you can confirm with 100% certainty you have the proper replacement. I took me 3 attempts (2 at a Toyota dealer) to get the right one.

8. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Ok I'm going to have to get eyes on it. I don't trust the stealership. They seem to be finding a couple of thousand dollar in repairs every time I go in for an oil change. They want to sell me the whole damn drive shaft. I'll get a pic.

9. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

There's nothing in the drive shaft that can leak. There's just grease in the slip yoke. I work at a stealership and they probly just messed up the seal. Seen it happen plenty of times. I would recommend going to the dealer and throwing a fit and talking to a manager and have a master tech put the seal in for you.

10. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Ok I'll take it in there and ask them to show me.Thanks.

11. x-runner kid

x-runner kid Active Member

Ya sounds to me like the seal. I have done mine twice. Mainly because I had the trans out and happened to have a spare seal the second time. You can look at the bottom of your floor pan just above the back of the trans and front of the drive shaft. You will see oil residue. Pretty easy part to change if you have a seal driver. The only issue is the part numbers. It took me several hours and a couple seals to find the correct one for our truck.

madtrucker likes this.
  12. x-runner kid

If you need the part number let me know I actually have a extra one on a shelf in a box that I can look at the number of you need.

13. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Ok. I'm out hauling freight. I probably won't even see my truck until Christmas. I do want to deal with it though. I don't want it leaking. I appreciate the help. I will probably take you up on that once I get under it and get a good look at it. Actually, go ahead and give me that part # thanks!

14. easts1d3

easts1d3 Well-Known Member

The only reason you might need a new yoke is if the seal wore grooves in it. Which I find unlikely since the yoke is hardened. It's most likely your seal and that is only $12 lol
    They are trying to scam you hard

15. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Doesn't that suck. They want to sell me the whole driveshaft. What a rip.

16. x-runner kid

Here is the drive shaft oil seal for the back of trans.

Attached Files:

17. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Thanks!

18. x-runner kid

19. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I found out more about this. The slip yoke has a plug, like a freeze plug, at the back of it. It leaks tranny fluid onto the u-joint. Toyota has a tsb on this that says to replace the whole driveshaft, for $1200. I called a driveline shop. This guy works on a lot of the Tacoma 4wd and was totally familiar with this. He says he can pop out the plug, silicone the yoke, and press in a new plug. Then throw in a new u-joint. He wants $55 to do it. That includes the plug and the u-joint. He says they don't leak again after that.

Attached Files:

20. blackote

blackote Member

Thanks for the update, will keep this in mind if i see mine leaking

madtrucker likes this.