Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

speed gov update

CursedRacing

Reaction score
It's easy to find, if you pull out your dash, you will see two connectors on top. A large on and a small one. The violet wire with the white stripe is on the larger of the two connectors all the way to the left. I just clipped it, soldered in some extra wire to a toggle switch that I mounted where you see it in that picture.

Cursed

firetuner911

Reaction score
i just finally read the post on page 5 about the calculated top speed of our trucks, the previously calculated top speed of our trucks was 144.5.

well i opened up the calc. site that was supplied by the poster,

IT WORKS!!! :biggrin: I just cut the violet wire with the white stripe behind the cluster. The only thing is that I can not see my speed on my scan tool, but I don't care. I brought it up to 5000 rpms in 6th on a long slightly downward slope on the autobahn. You can see here how fast that would be according to the math it is around 144.8mph, but it is not going to be exactly right. I will borrow my friends GPS to get an actual reading. http://www.car-videos.com/tools/spe...7=&Redline=5500&Increment=1000&B1=Recalculate

well that was outstanding work to get the answer for us, except our trucks actually redline at about 5750 RPM instead of 5500. the results are quite a bit more acurate and interesting.

http://www.car-videos.net/tools/spe...7=&Redline=5750&Increment=1000&B1=Recalculate

this gives us a projected top speed of 166.5 MPH, that's 22mph faster than originally thought, which i think is pretty fricken sweet for a truck......just thought i should share.

:stoned::top:

ntinhri

Reaction score
or get a x-1 and go as fast as your want..hehehehehe

SicilianMobster

Reaction score
I just hit 148mph on GPS. After about 143 it was down right scary. My hood was shaking and it looked like it was going to blow up at any second. It felt like the truck was going to lift off the ground and fly away.:laugh:
u got balls keepin the sh!t goin.... i woulda been happy w/ 143 lol

Gadget

Reaction score
150 MPH is just part of my daily commute...

The white knuckle grip does not start till I pass 170...

G

JDM-X

Reaction score
not 170 in a xrunner unless you changed gearing or running a high redline :crinklehair:

STONER-X

Reaction score
never question gadget...... thats a foolish thing to do lol.....

X-roller

Reaction score
not 170 in a xrunner unless you changed gearing or running a high redline :crinklehair:

I've seen the redline go up to 6400 on our trucks with the X-1. So it's possible he could go 170....

Gadget

Reaction score
I was asked to share some info about this speed limiter modification.

The ECU needs the vehicle speed sensor input to properly control the VVTi system. I have absolutely no idea why it needs vehicle speed but it does.

If the ECU does not have a valid vehicle speed it will not transition the cam timing and you will likely loose a lot of mid range performance and there will be a lot more wear on the intake cam thrust bearings.

You should not prevent the vehicle speed sensor signal from getting to the ECU.

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
So according to the almighty Gadget...

Pulling and Cutting the wire is bad… but a toggle switch for ludicrous speeds every once in while should keep the wear and tare to a minimum right? Cause i need to beat a certain GTI....and 125 wont cut it....

P.S. I just got an image of Gadgets XR, flying down the freeway....

They've gone plaid ,sir!!!! (space balls)

SooRunner

Reaction score
Is removing the speed governer pointless for people who are running the x1?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I was asked to share some info about this speed limiter modification.

The ECU needs the vehicle speed sensor input to properly control the VVTi system. I have absolutely no idea why it needs vehicle speed but it does.

If the ECU does not have a valid vehicle speed it will not transition the cam timing and you will likely loose a lot of mid range performance and there will be a lot more wear on the intake cam thrust bearings.

You should not prevent the vehicle speed sensor signal from getting to the ECU.

G

fudge just got a mil..... I was doing third gear drifts with the switch on, along with various other stupidities for about an hour. I had forgot to turn it on(back to norm), after doing a quick blast to 130mph...before my drifting...

So you guys say the mil turns off after a while?

And in response to Gadget, wouldn't if the car is getting no signal from the vss cause LESS ware to the intake thrust bearing???? Cause you say you lose power with wire pulled, wouldn't that mean that the VVT-i isn't working, therefore, it would not need to use the thrust bearing to engage the VVT-i??? Or am i missing something huge? :hmmmm2:

I'm not familiar with newer engines...350 Chevy is my forte, somewhat.:smile:

Just wondering, not doubting your knowledge....

I am going to try to become a mechanic later on, after high school. So any explanation on this would be much appreciated.:top:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
a mil just means its time for maintainence... im pretty sure it on some kind of counter and it comes on to remind you to change your oil and shit like that.... there is a write up on how to reset it or a sticky or something.

Gadget

Reaction score
And in response to Gadget, wouldn't if the car is getting no signal from the vss cause LESS ware to the intake thrust bearing???? Cause you say you lose power with wire pulled, wouldn't that mean that the VVT-i isn't working, therefore, it would not need to use the thrust bearing to engage the VVT-i??? Or am i missing something huge? :hmmmm2:

Like I said, this VVTi/VSS relationship is something I do not understand, but I know it to be true. Early on in the X-1 development I had a problem with getting a clean speed sensor signal getting through the X-1 and my VVTi system was constantly flopping back and forth causing a very bad power surge in cruise. This was from the VVTi system constantly hunting. The result was very significant even at part throttle. My findings and what I discovered would fix it led to a physical modification to the X-1 main board.

I have seen the damaged cam with the burned up thrust bearing and I know that to be true.

Like I said I was asked to pass this info along. The source is very credible.

G

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
just my input, i was able to do 135 stock in 5th, i was driving from new mexico and my buddy in his mazda speed6, his gauge goes to like 145 or 150, were running and his speedo said 135 and i was right beside him, i know most of yall will call bullspit on this but i give yall my word as a man and an x-runner owner.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Now it makes sense!

Like I said, this VVTi/VSS relationship is something I do not understand, but I know it to be true. Early on in the X-1 development I had a problem with getting a clean speed sensor signal getting through the X-1 and my VVTi system was constantly flopping back and forth causing a very bad power surge in cruise. This was from the VVTi system constantly hunting. The result was very significant even at part throttle. My findings and what I discovered would fix it led to a physical modification to the X-1 main board.

I have seen the damaged cam with the burned up thrust bearing and I know that to be true.

Like I said I was asked to pass this info along. The source is very credible.

G

See, i would a thought that it would just stay in like a "fail safe mode", like an off position. I wouldn't have guessed it would go "hunting" for the signal... learn something new every day!

Like said, i don't know much when it come to newer engines. :dontknow:

I also didn't know you played a part in development of the X-1!!! I definitely believed you before, but like i said, i was just wondering!!! :top:

Ill keep my speed switch off, cause i definitely can't afford a engine rebuild....:frown:

BTW the check engine light went off after 3 engine start/stop runs. i thank you for your knowledge, BTW.:adore:
BUUUT....

Would there be any way to "kill" the governer, but not interrupt the VSS signal? Other than a X-1, of course. What about for the speedometer? Mine is already way off cause of the 4.10 gears. What if i wired in a switch for it? Would that kill the governor, or is that all based off of the VSS? The VVT-i doesn't use the speedo at all right? :hmmmm2:

blastap

Reaction score
I only go those speeds when racing civics and going to starbucks.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
the governor is in the ecu and its based on the vss so messing with the speedo would not do anything but mess with you speedo. at least that is my understanding. there has got to be a way to make a calibrator to splice into the ecu to remove it but that sort of tech is beyond the vast majority of us. maybe gadget could chime in on the idea of a speed limiter calibrator/remover. i know urd is awesome with their calibrators and electronics.

blastap

Reaction score
It is possible that it needs speed reference to properly fuel at that speed, we don't have a gear position sensor. On ram air assisted sportbikes the afr changes after third gear and goes richer for each gear after that to adjust for airbox pressure(boost). If your going faster than the truck knows how to fuel than your a time bomb waiting to lean out. Just a guess but I'm willing to bet the vss input is for fueling.

Top Bottom