Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

speed gov update

gameXRunner

Reaction score
If you remove the governor chip, how is it done to make sure all the gauges on the dash are still accurate?

Amarillo X

Reaction score
It seems like some of you want to blow your shit up... You guys need to listen to Gadget and leave it the f ck alone.... And ceemeetwo, I call Bulls*it!

blastap

Reaction score
I was asked to share some info about this speed limiter modification.

The ECU needs the vehicle speed sensor input to properly control the VVTi system. I have absolutely no idea why it needs vehicle speed but it does.

If the ECU does not have a valid vehicle speed it will not transition the cam timing and you will likely loose a lot of mid range performance and there will be a lot more wear on the intake cam thrust bearings.

You should not prevent the vehicle speed sensor signal from getting to the ECU.

G
If i had this mod done and read this i would re solder and hope i didnt cause any more harm.

blastap

Reaction score
lol, I hear bearing wear and start sweating in the palms

Murderface

Reaction score
Is removing the speed governer pointless for people who are running the x1?

YES!!!! And it's pointless to bypass the speed governor to begin with.

Also pointless is having an O2sim if u have an X-1

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
Hey Amarillo x, my buddys name is marcus diaz, he drives a 2007 black mazdaspeed6 with busted knuckle racing logo on the back window of the car, he works at gene messer, drop by and he will vouch for me...i know people dont believe me, and people say there gps only reads that there doing 107 or the speedos are off in general, but i guess i cant show anyone that its possible or, get vids anymore due to the fact that i dont have the x anymore, but ive no reasons to lie.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
the governor is in the ecu and its based on the vss so messing with the speedo would not do anything but mess with you speedo. at least that is my understanding. there has got to be a way to make a calibrator to splice into the ecu to remove it but that sort of tech is beyond the vast majority of us. maybe gadget could chime in on the idea of a speed limiter calibrator/remover. i know urd is awesome with their calibrators and electronics.

Thank you for your input, like i said, im just trying to see if there are any cheap fixes out there, i don't much cash till summer/graduation....Then my x/r should get crazy...

All of your guys help is much appreciated.:adore:

It is possible that it needs speed reference to properly fuel at that speed, we don't have a gear position sensor. On ram air assisted sportbikes the afr changes after third gear and goes richer for each gear after that to adjust for airbox pressure(boost). If your going faster than the truck knows how to fuel than your a time bomb waiting to lean out. Just a guess but I'm willing to bet the vss input is for fueling.

Hmm, once again, never would have thought of that. It makes perfect sense when you explain it like that.:smile:

When i had my truck dyno tuned, i was running way to rich, which i geuss is a (Xrunner norm?), we leaned out a bit, and made about 10 more ponies. We changed a vacuum fitting for the fuel rail, and put a c-clamp on it to adjust the AFR. I kept it slightly rich, cause thats what i was told to do...:dontknow: Gehtto but works great. Noticed an immediate difference.

I wonder what Gadget thinks....

Thank you for your help, btw.:top:

Last edited:

AFP520

Reaction score
Bump for those that do not know about this. Again, huge disclaimer on this. If your tires are not Z rated, DO NOT DO THIS MOD.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Did some more research on this...

The x-1 whole goal is to modify certain engine parameters and spit them back to the stock ECM, so all is well in terms of codes being set and what not...no?

If the vvt-I loses the vss signal, the vvti will default to its non-op position. The pin will lock in place and you will lose vvti operation.

Now if the speed sensor data was being corrupted by an unknown source, then I could see some issues arising. If ecu doesn't run normality checks on the vss signal, then it will never know that it's being messed with and assume that what ever data the x-1 is spitting out, is infact the correct data.

Then I do a potential chance of it "hunting" as you put it, and causing issues.

To confirm this, someone with the vss hooked up to a switch needs to do a Dyno pull, back to back. First with normal vss signal, then with out. See if the power curve is modified at all...I.e showing lack of vvti operation. Or just hook a scan tool and read various vvti sensors for normal, if any, operation.

IH8PIGS

Reaction score
Well thanks for all the information. I'm going to try the toggle switch because I bump up against the limiter almost daily.

Murderface

Reaction score
You do over 120 daily? :stupid:

No wonder his screen name is what it is:rofl:

Hey Amarillo x, my buddys name is marcus diaz, he drives a 2007 black mazdaspeed6 with busted knuckle racing logo on the back window of the car, he works at gene messer, drop by and he will vouch for me...i know people dont believe me, and people say there gps only reads that there doing 107 or the speedos are off in general, but i guess i cant show anyone that its possible or, get vids anymore due to the fact that i dont have the x anymore, but ive no reasons to lie.

This guy is COMPLETELY FULL OF SHIT!!! If the speed governor is set at 124mph how is it possible to do said 135mph if the speed signal isn't tampered with or ur not running a X-1/UCON? Oh that is unless u have a X-1 and have no clue that u have one:rofl:

I love listening to people like "this guy". Yes I know he's no longer on here but still funny as shit to point out

Last edited:

rennurx

Reaction score
Im nit sure what the argument is about cuz im lazy and only read the fist page and then the last four comments but when I was stock I burried the needle a lot. I raced a cobalt and he let off at 135 and I was ahead of him the whole timeso Idk if I wasn't stock ir didn't have a gov.

Murderface

Reaction score
The truck is GOVERNED at 124mph so anyone saying they went well over that with a stock truck and no speed bypass is full of shit......that's all......no argument about that

AFP520

Reaction score
The truck is GOVERNED at 124mph so anyone saying they went well over that with a stock truck and no speed bypass is full of shit......that's all......no argument about that
That's actually pretty high for a stock pickup anyway. There are very few places around here you can do a top speed run with no consequences.

justin13703

Reaction score
Man some of these guys drive a little crazy lol. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone over 100 in the 2 years I've had the truck. To say that you hit 124mph almost daily is crazy IMO. It takes a huge amount of road to get a stock x runner going that fast. And gas is too damn expensive for me to drive everywhere with my foot to the floor like a tool for no reason lol

rennurx

Reaction score
Man some of these guys drive a little crazy lol. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone over 100 in the 2 years I've had the truck. To say that you hit 124mph almost daily is crazy IMO. It takes a huge amount of road to get a stock x runner going that fast. And gas is too damn expensive for me to drive everywhere with my foot to the floor like a tool for no reason lol

Damn im not trying to be billy bad ass but I hit 120+ alot I even downloaded speedview so I can see my speed when im over 120 lol just never knew I had a gov ..hmm and the fastest I went was only 130..

AFP520

Reaction score
You are in the northeast, wait until it drops down into the teens at night and go on the highway. It does not take long to hit that limiter (if you have it)

Top Bottom