Stock clutch rating?

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by XMPLRY808, Oct 4, 2015.

1. XMPLRY808

XMPLRY808 Active Member

Does anybody know what are the limits of the stock clutch hp/tq? Right now my stock clutch is holding up fine but I wanna know if it'll be a good I idea to upgrade or not. Thanks

2. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I read somewhere that the stock clutch is good for 350hp.

3. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

You put a s/c on there, you'll need to upgrade it pretty soon.

4. XMPLRY808

XMPLRY808 Active Member

Yups my clutch just started to slip real bad any good suggestions. Want to kno about pedal feel with different clutches. I had. Competition stage 4 clutch in my civic and it wasn't stuff at all but still bites hard. Might be looking into they for my truck but alotta people talk about Urd clutches one of my friend has the stage 3 but he says his clutch is a bit stiff. Any inputs will be much appreciated. Thanks

5. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Just go with one of the urd stage 3 or 3+ clutches. 3+ would be a little overkill for you though but it would still be fine. I had a Competition Clutch stage 3 in my truck and it was a good clutch too but I hear good things about the urd ones. You won't need anything over stage 3 unless you're gonna build your engine. I'd also look at the lightweight flywheels from urd. I had one of those too and I'd recommend it as well. They have bundles with the clutches and flywheels together. The only negative is that they look so damn nice you hate to hide it inside the transmission lol

6. XMPLRY808

XMPLRY808 Active Member

How is your clutch pedal feel? Cause my friend has the Urd clutch and said its a leg work out. Thanks for your input!

7. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Higher clamping pressure almost always translates into a stiffer clutch pedal.

8. Bulldogger

Bulldogger New Member

I did the URD stage 3 clutch not long ago. Nice clutch definitely heavier then stock pedal but grabs down low and quicker, so the extra pedal pressure doesn't really matter too much. Stage 3 also use carbon on one side and ceramic on the other which illuminates any real chatter. Have a 1000 miles on it so far no issues at all. Just make sure you or whoever installs it takes their time and uniformly torques down the pressure plate in small increments. Otherwise you may end up with drag and gear grinding or hard to get into first when stopped.

9. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

I don't have my truck anymore but the CC stage 3 clutch felt surprisingly like stock. I honestly couldn't tell any difference in pedal effort. The urd ones I'm not sure of, but they're probably not far off of stock feel either. They may be a tiny bit stiffer because I believe they hold a little more power vs the same stage of another brand.

There's also the twin disc from urd which is the best of the best but that may be out of your price range. Keep in mind it comes with a new (I believe lightweight) flywheel as well.

10. XMPLRY808

XMPLRY808 Active Member

Thanks! That's what I keep telling people. Comp clutch is really nice! Feels like stock but bites super hard! No my friend has the Urd and it's stiff lol I'm gonna get the comp clutch since I daily my truck in traffic.