Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stripped oil pan plug

wickedX_06

Reaction score
What up people!. I did my regular oil change 2 days ago and I stripped the drain plug. now I'm looking to buy a new oil pan but the only one I can find is the one for the regular 4.0 tacomas (6qt) pan. Is there any issues I would encounter if I try to install that pan vs the xrunner low profile pan?....tried searching for it no luck on mobile site.. Thanks in advance!!

madtrucker

Reaction score
I did this, once a long time ago, and was able to buy an a larger plug w/ self tapping threads. There are other options.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I think those pans are still 5qt like the X pan...

To make the swap to a regular pan is a pain in the butt.... read in my build thread for some info.. I think it would be a great swap...

Like mentioned if needed you can go to any auto parts store and get an oversized plug. I used one on a car once and had good results for the given situation.

It would cost you $5

wickedX_06

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back and offer of a oil pan guys!! I bought a oversized self tapping plug today, going to fix it tomorrow hope it works and I don't screw it up! Lol.... Worse case I'll screw up and I'll hit you up rennurx to see how much it'll cost to ship to me.

Jwall

Reaction score
you can get new pans for a pretty good price. but obviously the oversized is quicker and cheaper.

wickedX_06

Reaction score
True, oreilys had them for about 40$ plus 10$ gasket, not bad at all

STONER-X

Reaction score
The trick to making the oversized plug work..

Keep it as straight as possible
Apply constant pressure
Once it starts to thread do not remove to see what is happening.. keep pressure and roll with it until it is fully seated
You can not screw it up anymore than it already is
Once it is seated do not try to muscle f*ck it or you will be back in square one
To seat apply light force until it stops then give it a nice tweek.. Drain plugs are not that tight
Once done remove and dump cheap or old oil into the motor to wash the shavings out the drain hole

True, oreilys had them for about 40$ plus 10$ gasket, not bad at all

There is no pan gasket for these trucks.. OEM uses rtv and glues them.. Also I would not trust an auto parts store to order the oil pan for these trucks.. they probably have the regular pans not the X pan.

Last edited:

wickedX_06

Reaction score
Installed my piggy back self tapping oversized drain plug today, glad to say it was a success!! A little tricky to start it but once it grabbed it was a done deal.... Thanks again for everyone's feedback it truly helped :top:

Edgeman

Reaction score
What up people!. I did my regular oil change 2 days ago and I stripped the drain plug. now I'm looking to buy a new oil pan but the only one I can find is the one for the regular 4.0 tacomas (6qt) pan. Is there any issues I would encounter if I try to install that pan vs the xrunner low profile pan?....tried searching for it no luck on mobile site.. Thanks in advance!!

That's why I refuse to have anyone else change my oil. My truck came with several free oil changes from the dealer, but whenever I did a follow up oil change on my own, the drain plug felt like it had been tightened with an impact wrench. Geeze...what the heck are they teaching their techs these days?

Super Werty

Reaction score
I did this, once a long time ago, and was able to buy an a larger plug w/ self tapping threads. There are other options.

You probably pushed metal shards up into the pan when you did this. :ahhhhh:

madtrucker

Reaction score
You probably pushed metal shards up into the pan when you did this. :ahhhhh:
It is not the optimal solution. I was broke and needed the best cheap option. I had that car for years, maybe the filter or the magnetic plug caught it. What do you recommend for this situation?

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
It is not the optimal solution. I was broke and needed the best cheap option. I had that car for years, maybe the filter or the magnetic plug caught it. What do you recommend for this situation?

getting a new pan and bolt. It's probably under $50....way cheaper than a new engine:top:

justin13703

Reaction score
getting a new pan and bolt. It's probably under $50....way cheaper than a new engine:top:

Or after installing the new drain bolt just flush some of the used or some cheap oil through it to wash most of the shavings out, like stoner-x said

Super Werty

Reaction score
Or after installing the new drain bolt just flush some of the used or some cheap oil through it to wash most of the shavings out, like stoner-x said

yea but how do you know there isnt one piece hanging on that will break off later.

Why chance it? Just do it right the first time

Top Bottom