Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Subs installed! yay! But questions.

stretch200

Reaction score
I finally got subs put in because I wanted more bass. It's sounds great. Here they are.

Subwoofers.jpg

So I'm going to make a custom box. I've done lots of wood work before but I don't know much about subwoofer enclosures.
Does it matter what size the box is for the sub? Or what angle the sub is pointed in when it's finished? And should I put insulation on the interior of the box or anything like that? Any data would help greatly. Thanks in advance!!

CBRBob

Reaction score
The size is one of the most important. Consult the manual that came with the driver itself to see optimal size. You need to know if you are going ported, sealed etc. The shape is not very important, just nothing extreme.

morcheez

Reaction score
my friend uses some crazy equation to figure out the dimensions of all of the boxes he builds...so far they have all sounded pretty good

XDsm

Reaction score
What subwoofers are they? As CBRRob stated it's most important to match the recommended volume and box dimensions that subwoofer needs. Also be sure you are matching up the power the subs run optimally at to what the amp is putting out. When making the box use MDF board.

07xrunner

Reaction score
I have two 10" infinity subs. What's MDF board?
medium density fiberboad....aka pressboard
like sawdust mixed with glue . alot more dense than plywood makes for much better sound quality

Last edited:

DOGO X

Reaction score
Nice, make sure you tie them down! :top:

XRobber

Reaction score
I build a lot of enclosures.
One of the most important things is to make sure the air space is correct for the sub.
This site helps a lot. It calculates the internal air space for you, before you build the box.
Consult your manual for the subs and see what the air space needed is. Then hit this site, and play with thier size calculator. This should help a bit.
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

NITRAM-X

Reaction score
to help with building the box the easiest way to find out the amout of volume you have in the box is LxWxH/1728 or length x Width x height divided by 1728

Top Bottom