Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Supercharging a 2TR Prado

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that Iniazy. Market based and influenced desire.

Imom, post a link to that turbo kit please.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I see why it is so cheap. Likely a journal bearing turbo. All silicone coupling intake and charge "pipes". No intercooler, no injectors, no tuning.

Simple recirculation valve, and internally wastegated.

Simple kit, and great to build upon if you want to add in an intercooler and other components.

The most important part of that kit is the header. Which they have hidden.

iniazy

Reaction score
Thanks. I see why it is so cheap. Likely a journal bearing turbo. All silicone coupling intake and charge "pipes". No intercooler, no injectors, no tuning.

Simple recirculation valve, and internally wastegated.

Simple kit, and great to build upon if you want to add in an intercooler and other components.

The most important part of that kit is the header. Which they have hidden.

The site says 5 PSI of boost. With that much boost I think it is extremely necessary to tune.

iniazy

Reaction score
Good news. I managed to fit the 7th injector kit on the 2TR.

I used the original intake manifold to mock-fit it.

Visually it looks like it would fit:
DSC_0566_zpsyr6pt71i.jpg

But the mounting holes were 2 mm further apart compared to the 2TR throttle body bolt pattern, as you can see.

DSC_0569_zpsdtqdp1h2.jpg

So I bored out the mounting holes. They were originally 6 mm in diameter. I bored them out to 8 mm, still not enough. Went to 9 mm, and still not enough. At 10 mm it was ok:
DSC_0570_zpsxyb0ypyg.jpg

Completely fitted mechanically and electrically:
DSC_0571_zps6glqltxi.jpg

DSC_0573_zpsvolu3phv.jpg

DSC_0572_zpslvram8fj.jpg

I tested controlling it with the SMT8, and it works perfectly. Now I just need to tune it at WOT to get the AFR right, and then I'll hit the rollers and see the outcome.

The owner went and fitted the car with huge sand tires (900 mm in diameter, that's more than 35"), and yet the Prado still feels very lively and nimble, I barely noticed any difference. I can't wait to hit the rollers.

DSC_0574_zpsjzwwn20h.jpg

The difference between before and after is night and day! It is amazing. The automatic transmission itself is very sluggish, really impacting the potential performance, but it works. I'm trying to convince the owner to install a Level10 valve body upgrade to get the best out of it. But the gears are so widely spaced out in that four speed, it just drops the RPM too much after it upshifts.

I'll post power figures soon.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys will be taking the Prado to the dune climbs in no time! ;)

imom

Reaction score
iniazy, how much is that alpine supercharger?

Torspd, Now that I have my wheels, will get suspension and big brake kit soon...I just need a little bit more power. If I get the oz boost turbo kit... would it be easy for you or someone local in SoCal to me like MadTaco461 over at TW forum to install? I just want an experienced person /shop to install and do the job right the first time.

Just trying to find my options of small boost... last resort is no boost and just regear to 3.73" and headers from LCE.

Gadget

Reaction score
iniazy, how much is that alpine supercharger?

Torspd, Now that I have my wheels, will get suspension and big brake kit soon...I just need a little bit more power. If I get the oz boost turbo kit... would it be easy for you or someone local in SoCal to me like MadTaco461 over at TW forum to install? I just want an experienced person /shop to install and do the job right the first time.

Just trying to find my options of small boost... last resort is no boost and just regear to 3.73" and headers from LCE.

Never buy a forced induction system that is not a complete system.

I have gotten calls from people that have purchased that turbo system looking for help to get it to run correctly. The customer report that the kit maker is not able to give them any assistance in fueling or tuning. A couple have removed that system and replaced it with the URD Supercharger system and have had a much better result.

imom

Reaction score
Gadget, were you referring to the alpine system or the ozboost turbo kit? Your supercharger kit are impressive, but without the CARB certification for $5K...it's a hard pill to swallow.

Just an opinion, but if the URD FI kits for the 2TR-FE motor were $4K and CARB certified, more folks would choose the 4 cylinder vs the 6...better gas mileage and comparable HP....the initial cost would be about the same.

Ozboost turbo. $1500 kit with the chinese turbos are very tempting especially if only mild boost is what I'm looking at.

Either case... CARB certification is worth the price premium over a cheap turbo kit if that meant I didn't have to worry about smog and such. I know CARB is costly to get certified.

iniazy

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Alpine. If you want to boost, go for the URD. I had to customize this kit to make it work correctly. Fueling is from URD. I only used it because I already had it shelved in my shed and was very inexpensive for the customer to buy, so it had good value as a secon-hand kit. Also I think the bulky cast aluminum intake is costing some low end torque, the intake manifold should be designed so that you can get low-end torque at initial kick-in. The factory intake is optimized for that.

iniazy

Reaction score
Ok folks, got the figures. Ready?

Let me set the stage first. The car had tires that were more than 35" in diameter. it is permanent 4WD, no 2WD option. And it was tested on a 4WD mustang Dyno, with Doug Thorley headers and one CAT removed (rear one, downstream of the second O2 sensor). I had a lean spot during the test right where it produced maximum power, went up to 13:1, I've already addressed it but it wasn't during the test. Here we go:

1. Power at the four wheels: 191 HP
2. Torque at the four wheels: 227 lb.ft.

Those are better than my V6 Fortuner pre-supercharging, with 32" tires, JBA headers and two cats removed. It is really not bad, and had he had the stock tires it would have probably climbed to 200.

Here's a video of the dyno run, notice the new facelift.
[YOUTUBE]tFxH7ukk5pU[/YOUTUBE]

DSC_0579_zpsz70gewvy.jpg

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That little thing has got to feel impressive, with such large tires!

What's next on its agenda?

iniazy

Reaction score
Next:
1. Massive transmission cooler
2. Electric radiator fans
3. Level10 valve body upgrade
4. Sprint booster. The 2TR throttle body really is slow in responding, very frustrating.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the Prado, is the radiator also used for transmission cooling similarly as the 1GR?

With the added power have you noticed large increases in transmission fluid temps, or is it also a combination of the tire size, heat and power?

I truly dislike the throttle lag from these ecu controlled TB's. For that reason specifically, I purchased the ProEFI Pro128, as it can fully be programmed to control the throttle body. It is much more linear when the ProEFI controls it versus OEM. That also affords me the ability to remove the speed limiter while controlling the throttle body.

You could say that I took the expensive route. ;)

iniazy

Reaction score
On the Prado, is the radiator also used for transmission cooling similarly as the 1GR?

With the added power have you noticed large increases in transmission fluid temps, or is it also a combination of the tire size, heat and power?

I truly dislike the throttle lag from these ecu controlled TB's. For that reason specifically, I purchased the ProEFI Pro128, as it can fully be programmed to control the throttle body. It is much more linear when the ProEFI controls it versus OEM. That also affords me the ability to remove the speed limiter while controlling the throttle body.

You could say that I took the expensive route. ;)

Yeah, that's not unheard of, when it comes to Torspd projects :) I have not heard of the Pro 128 before. Looking it up, it seems like a stand-alone ECU. Is that so? It's SO expensive though. Now I understand what you mean by the expensive route.

I didn't check transmission temperatures. Yes it uses the radiator to cool the transmission, it has the exact same radiator as in the V6 Prado. I just think it is wise to install a cooler with automatic transmissions, especially for off-road vehicles on sand dunes, which really tend to stress the transmission components. Especially if it has boost and massive tires.

I was testing the car again yesterday. Occasionally, and especially when the car first starts (even when warm), the throttle not only lags, but actually does not respond at all for a few seconds, while the tranny is on neutral. It is not getting rich at all, from my AFR gauge, so it is not flooding the engine with fuel as one might think. I still haven't verified if this is the throttle or does the engine occasionally need to clear its throat. Once I rev it a few times while stationary on neutral, it seems to start working correctly and can take off strong. So I really think he needs that sprint booster.

iniazy

Reaction score
Well I'm glad to report the owner is a happy customer now. He changed the tires back to smaller ones and now he can really feel the power difference. He is still complaining about the sluggish stone-age four speed tranny.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Swap the 5 speed transmission in there. ;)

iniazy

Reaction score
Yeah I did, I put on Doug Thorley. I thought about the equal length header from LCE, but I was worried about space, I'm not sure if the Prado has the same amount of space as a Tacoma.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that does make sense. Carry on good sir.

Now we just need some videos. :top:

Top Bottom