Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 shifter help/advice needed

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Well, I finally made it through the clutch break in, and it's a pretty amazing difference from stock to say the least. I was wondering if anyone went a different route from the APR shifter? 1st to 2nd is great, but the shifter feels undefined at best, and is very noisy. I actually tried to run through the gears all out today, and missed third bad, and hit first. Couldn't tell until I let off the clutch. I have NEVER done that in any vehicle. Nearly shat my pants. I'm thinking MGW short shifter. Opinions, options? Prolly gonna have an apr shifter for sale cheap before long if anyone wants a spare.

outlaw7

Reaction score
Hit up Coupe, I think he has made at least 1 alternative for the t56.

rennurx

Reaction score
Looks like a new product..

Attachments

• 0507_03z Lamborghini_Murcielago_Roadster Interior_Close_Up_Shift_Gate.jpg
    0507_03z Lamborghini_Murcielago_Roadster Interior_Close_Up_Shift_Gate.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 228

Gadget

Reaction score
I have had a lot of problems with my APR T-56 shifter, I think anyway.

Just like you describe 1-2 is bad ass. 3rd is another story. It seems it either will not go into 3rd like it gets hung up or something or I miss shift back into 1st.

I have spent a lot of time on the phone with the tranny company and they swear it is the shifter. I loosened up the 4 top screws in the shifter assembly and it seems to work better so maybe...

I am going to order a B&M shifter and try that out and see if it is better or worse. If not a bunch better I am pulling the trans and sending it back to the trans company and see if they can find anything wrong with it.

G

Coupe

Reaction score
The noise can be helped by using a weighted knob and insulating the console. I made a shifter arm with the polyurethane epoxy. All of those things together took the noise out. Before I did these things, it was damn loud. Each item took some noise out.

I have not had the 3rd gear problem you both describe, but my shifter is slightly different.

I have talked to others that say the MGW is the shifter to buy for a T56.

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
The noise doesn't bother me so much, and I have synapse and some second skin acoustic pad coming to do the whole floor pan, A plastic bushings between the hurst arm and shifter, and I've got a 14oz shift knob. The shifting is my problem. It's awkward and clunky and gets hung up like gadget said. I want precise, accurate shifts. Floating the valves from shifting into first at 65 or 70 just doesn't suit my fancy. I bought a used trans from a camaro, and drove it before the guy pulled it, and it shifted way better than this apr deal, although I must say the apr shifter is a piece of art to look at. Im Pretty sure it's your shifter too gadget, seeing as how we have the same problem.

Gadget

Reaction score
I am not going to say it is definitely the shifter until the problem is solved. Then I will know.

What is this MGW shifter?? Got a link where to order it?

G

Gadget

Reaction score
Just googled it and found it here:

http://www.mgwltd.com/camaro_short_throw_shifter.shtml

Feature List:

Each shifter boasts the shortest throw in it's class.
Absolutely the quietest aftermarket shifter you can buy.
Centering springs are the strongest in their class. (No more missing 3rd gear)
Reduces "In Gear" slop, vibration and buzzing.
No modification of factory inner boot necessary.
Accepts Factory or aftermarket shift knobs with 16mm threads. (12mm threaded shaft option also available)
Class III Teflon Impregnated Hard Coat Anodized to prevent galling and grease contamination.

What is the thread pitch we need for that nice Coupe Ball??

G

Coupe

Reaction score
The threads on the T56 shift knobs are 3/8-16unc. This matches the Hurst shift handles.

Gadget

Reaction score
I ordered it. I really hope this fixes the problem.

G

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Awesome. Let us know how it does and what you end up doing to make it fit. I'll be ordering one anyhow, but it'll be nice to know what's involved.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I ordered it. I really hope this fixes the problem.

G

Awesome Gadget. I have been meaning to try another shifter for some time now, but haven't. Definitely let us know how it works out for you.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, now I have something else that i need to add to my mod list....

ntinhri

Reaction score
I thought a boat was a money pit! Seems like X runners are as bad as a boat!

Coupe

Reaction score
One problem that may arise from using an aftermarket shifter is the throw.

Most cars that have T56 (Mustangs, Corvettes, Vipers,etc) have their seats between a high tunnel that houses the transmission. This means they only need a very short shifter height. The Xrunner T56 sits much lower, relative to the seating position. This means you need a much longer shift arm.

The shifter will work, but the throws are going to be longer, because the shift arm will need to be longer.

I think I would still do it, if I had the same problem with 3rd gear. The MGW will probably require a custom made shift arm, but the way it is designed, that should be easy to do.

Gadget

Reaction score
At this point I care less and less about the throws, I just want to finally have a transmission that I can shift like I want to.

The 4 stock ones sucked, so I pony up for the T56 swap, does not grind, but still having shifting problems.

I really hope this takes care of it and it is just that simple of a fix.

G

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Short throws are cool, but even with a 2 foot throw, at least third will be achievable. Plus, in some wierd way, longer throws are fun. I had an 82 corolla that I actually added 6" to, and it made me work harder to put those 56 bhp to the groun, but I felt like I was driving a race car lol

XR

Reaction score
The link you guys gave for the shifter looks like its for the front hole on the T56. There is the front hole 4 bolts, then there is the rear hole 6 bolts. On a camaro the front 4 bolt hole is used. Just FYI.

Gadget

Reaction score
My APR Shifter is 4 bolts on it so I hope it works.

G

Top Bottom