Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Runt Build!!

lsuMEdesigner

Reaction score
Background: Ive had 3 fast cars while growing up. 1) 99 WS6TA H/C and spray 2) 92 MR2-T 3) BMW E36 M3. About half way through my engineering degree the funds were running low so decided to get out of the racing scene and purchased a truck that I thought was the slowest saddest little truck possible.

I do not own a XR, but I do own a Silver 2007 Reg Cab Tacoma 2.7L 5 speed manual. Over the last 3 years of college me and the Tacoma have become very close and honestly I really love this truck.

Now that I am officially out of college and working full time I have decided to start my build thread.

Mods currently on truck:
Tinted windows, Tinted lights, fog light mod, airbox mod, front and rear bumpers painted to match, XXI drop coils in front and mono leafs in rear 2/3 drop, QA1 rear struts, Pioneer door speakers, 8in bass tube, XR center console, XR bucket seats.

BUILD PLANS:

I know a lot of people will try and talk me out of this, but I refuse to sell the truck and just buy a XR. Its really more of a sentimental thing then anything.

So the truck will be getting a new motor and trans. My goal is 400hp to the wheels, retain street manners, some auto cross, and some drag racing.

Option 1) LS1/T56- I can get a LS1 for the same cost as a 1GR motor, because where I live Im surrounded by two huge LSX performance shops, so tons of local aftermarket support and help. I would pretty much mimic the LS1 setup I had in my Trans Am with a H/C package which put me at 400hp and an additional shot of spray on the side.
The problems I see with this is having to get rid of the drive by wire electric throttle, custom mounts, possible clearance issues, header selection, oil pan selection, and a wiring headache.

Option 2) 1GR/with 6speed- The cost of motor and trans is about same, but with a 1GR I could use Tacoma mounts, simple wiring, and no modification of subframe.

What do you guys think???

LS1:
Pros- Reach goal NA, can increase power easily, dont have to go in shortblock
Cons- Custom fab, custom wiring, tight fit
1GR:
Pros- easy install, 6speed, remains true Toyota
Cons- Weaker motor, must SC to meet goal

Last edited:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Well 400hp is achievable. So i dont see why u would want to swap out. The LS swap is dope too. Look around and you'll see alot of interesting things to get u to at and above 400hp.

roy365

Reaction score
I say do a few nice mods to the Tacoma, but stay serious on the HP goals. You've been in some fast cars (WS6) and I don't think you will be happy modding the Taco with the money and efforts it takes to achieve 400+ HP. So with that in mind, find you an older GM and do the LS thing. You can double your goals with less money on those platforms. But like you said, you just graduated so you money may not be an issue for you coming soon. :top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There havec been a few member to do the swap on this forum, to an LS engine. That said, in that little truck, it is still your truck and when you get in and drive it, you still will feel that way. No matter which engine is in there. An LS in that little thing will be very cool and 400 N/A with that displacement is easy.

Or do like Murderface said and consider the URD kit. To get to 400 whp, you will most likely have to do internals. But, it might be worth it if you want to remain true. Decisions decisions.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Personally I would go with the LS route. Then you don't have to switch over to a t56 transmission (expensive) after the crappy 6spd mated to the 1gr starts grinding and being a PIA.... and since you have graduated from engineering, designing and figuring out to put a LS in would probably be fun for you.

lsuMEdesigner

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys!!

Yeah recently graduated in mechanical engineering so I don't mind a challenge. I did formula FSAE for 4 years as well. I currently work for a research and development firm, we do alot of designing, machining, and fabricating.

I honestly thought about keeping the 2.7 because it is a great little motor with forged rods from the factory, but the pistons don't like anything over 300hp. Currently no one makes forged pistons for the 2Tr (that I know of). Also since the aftermarket performance is so small for these, tuning could be a pita.

I think most of you are right...if I am going to swap I might as well go with the motor which will leave me the most room to grow and largest aftermarket support.
I guess I'll have two GM powered vehicles now. Just purchased a ZL1 ;)

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone can make the pistons for you. Just need the specs. Tuning could easily be taken care of by the AEM unit from Dezod or the ProEFI Pro48. If you wanted to stay 2TR.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys!!

Yeah recently graduated in mechanical engineering so I don't mind a challenge. I did formula FSAE for 4 years as well. I currently work for a research and development firm, we do alot of designing, machining, and fabricating.

I honestly thought about keeping the 2.7 because it is a great little motor with forged rods from the factory, but the pistons don't like anything over 300hp. Currently no one makes forged pistons for the 2Tr (that I know of). Also since the aftermarket performance is so small for these, tuning could be a pita.

I think most of you are right...if I am going to swap I might as well go with the motor which will leave me the most room to grow and largest aftermarket support.
I guess I'll have two GM powered vehicles now. Just purchased a ZL1 ;)

Zl1? Wow. Couldn't be any easier. Take the ls out of mullet transporter. Place in truck. Boom done. You now have a truck that will walk anyhting on this forum. :blurock:

lsuMEdesigner

Reaction score
Yeah its really not about getting a powerful enough motor, which is why i am leaning away from LSX.
I have a group of friends who are into truck racing and going to truck shows. They all have GM trucks and they wont even race my ZL1...so thats why I am modding the tacoma. lol

Not going to do the LSX because when I beat a GMC/Silverado, I dont want anyone saying its because it's really a "chevy" lol

Also not going to do the 1GR because I dont think it is enough of a challenge and the turbo 1GR has been done by many.

Soooo my final decision..... I am sticking with the 2TR-fe

The reason I chose this is because after doing much research there are a lot of 2tr owners who want to mod their vehicle but do not have the support. So not only will I be modding my Tacoma, but I will also be offering these products to others. The turbo 22r, 2rz, and 3rz aftermarket is pretty huge and I believe the 2tr can achieve the same.

Im ordering a second 2tr motor this week to begin tear down and design process.

Ohh.....and enjoy a snap shot of the ZL1!!

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 194

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I like your mission. Tuning will be cheaper since it is a 4 banger. If you do make a front mount turbo manifold, you only have to make one. You can even make it twin scroll.

Finalize a solid design in the maifold, and you could take it to a company which has a 3D printer/prototype machine. Then you could make plenty of them easily.

IF that engine already has forged rods and you only need forged pistons, then you are in good shape. Talk with LC Engineering and see if they have any pistons for it already.

As for the rods, IF they aren't forged, get the specs and see if it is the same specs as the 1GR rod. I doubt it, I haven't looked, but it would sure make things easier.

Slap on a GT28-30 or similarly sized Precision Turbo and BAM. POWA!!!!

lsuMEdesigner

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to stick with a composite or "plastic" style intake manifold. I have a 3D printer company we go through at work and they usually cut is a pretty good deal.
For exhaust manifold I'll just weld the tube myself and do it so the process can be replicated easily.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I like where this is going. Now for some pics of said truck.

lsuMEdesigner

Reaction score
Alright I'll get to it when it quits raining and I get a chance to take some pics.

It's nothing special....yet.

Kevin S.

Reaction score
Nice Zl1 "lsuMEdesigner" - I imagine that has to be a hoot to drive! I was fortunate to drive the new (well not new anymore) c6 zr1 - such a brutal fast car! Amazing trq all the way to redline in basically every gear!

98_mud_bug

Reaction score
Are you local to the lsu area? Or was that just the school you attended?

Baggins44

Reaction score
Zl1? Wow. Couldn't be any easier. Take the ls out of mullet transporter. Place in truck. Boom done. You now have a truck that will walk anyhting on this forum. :blurock:

Love this response, so true

Top Bottom