Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Story Finally...BYE BYE Motor(Long Read)

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
So it's been a week and I can finally talk about this after much rehab(corona) and morale support from the VB Crew and the brothern here at XR-U!

On a chilly Saturday afternoon in the Williamsburg area of VA. Brisk a little chilly but sunny and nice...rollin 2 deep through the tunnel with Yardie having a good time to go to the meet. 110 in tunnel at 9psi ahhh what a good day.

Get to Justins drop the gas tank fix the fuel pump issue and shes on here way...wait wtf is this?? A condesated headlight...I'm the CEO of Luminous Solutions...that's just embarrassing.:thumpdown:

Well we are having a good ol time putting projectors in revobreakers truck, did Gadgets 4 runner with a LS kit, ate good burgers and had good talks.

Late afternnon Steve runs out for a tune on the ole X-1 with the G-man so I say hey might as well ask the man while hes here and freshen up my tune with the new fuel pump and 75mm pulley....we got to break 300whp at some point!

We hop in the truck and head out. Do some pulls he changed some things...the truck pulls like holy hell after 3500....yeah thats what I needed....so we head back and bang a left...WTF is that noise?????? Metal on metal clanging...damn that don't sound good! Gadget says the last time I heard that sound the truck was out of oil...huh? I just changed this thing with 5 fresh quarts 1500 miles ago and the empty is on the floor. Get back pull the dip stick....bone dry!!!!!!!!! Oh holy hell!!! She takes 4qts, where did 4 qts of oil go in 1500 miles with no obvious sign of leakage or smoking? No freakin oil light comes on on a 24k truck...my 91 civic hatchback oil light comes on when its low....wtf???

So we start it back up all is quiet sounds like its ok...whew right?? Wrong......

Football and strombolies filled the rest of the evening. Then me and Vabchxrunner head south to home. We get about 25 minutes into the drive just cruisng at about 75...not getting in it, hell I didn't even boost on the way home. All of a sudeen I see my AFR jump to 9.9 and bang clang, god awful noises start coming from the engine bay..nice!! So I call up Duane who thought I was just pulling off, he busts a U-turn. Get on the phone to Justin who says I'm on my way. (mind you is about 10-30 at night by now, 20 degrees out, and where this happened well you see it on the news some nights!) State Troopper comes by runs me and Duane's tags tells us good luck. So we asess is and it don't look good....time for a tow truck.

Justin calls up AAA(thank god I owe you). We wait about an hour for the first tow truck...nice not bad ...wrong. Joe Schoe here gets out smoking dont say a word drop his chains. I politely say sir I don't think my truck will make it up there without some ramps...he says yeah it will I'll drag it up there....um negative coocheese!. Justin looks at him like are you stupid??....The guy said well call AAA back then...you gonna. Justin said just go we'll figure it out....don't get mad at us becuase you don't like your job!

So 20 degress freezing, 4 hours later finally after we called every tow truck in Hampton Roads, AAA finds a guy with ramps. This guy hops out and says I ain't seen a truck yet I can't get on this bed. He was the man!!! This guy didn't even touch the trailor hitch on the pavement on or off...:top:

So in ending the dealer tore it down a little to assess. 4 cylinders at 90, 1 at 160, and 1 at 60(bent rod). Im sure all the rings are gone. Estimate with used motor and clutch...$6500. Yikes!

So in closing the truck will be towed to my house for break down and revamping. V2.0 should be out early summer hopefully. I am rocking the 91 civic hatch with a ZC motor until then ($17 bucks to fill up!). Complete with XR-u and URD Stickers. I have alot of ideas for what I am going to do so keep your eyes open for deals in the for sale forum.

I would also like to take the time to thank some people. Justin and Jenn and Duane for helping me tremendously at the breakdown. Justin and Jenn drove 25 minutes to sit in the freezing cold for 4 hours, Justin worked the phones in my time of need. Duane for sitting it out then riding me around till 4am. Blake who is one of Justins friends....he's just the man. Gadget who is quick to call and volunteer his services for the future endeavor. Chrsi for driving me around to pick up my newly acquired beater. Ya'll run...this guy was trying to find me a motor, it fell through but it was definately appreciated. The rest of the VB crew for your support and your future help. Also to everyone who will help in the upcoming months.....I just want to thank you in advance.

The truck will be back with some changes...and well you will just have to see....I had debated selling and going to a GS400 but for some reason, I just can't.

**Sorry for the long read, figured it would pass time ona Monday at work though!**

05runner

Reaction score
WOW man. Sorry about your luck. Hope it all works out getting it back together and back on the road. Thank god for nice friendly people right..

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Damn Jason, that freakin sucks man:thumpdown:...Glad the VAB crew was able to help!
so we head back and bang a left...WTF is that noise?????? Metal on metal clanging...damn that don't sound good! Gadget says the last time I heard that sound the truck was out of oil...huh? I just changed this thing with 5 fresh quarts 1500 miles ago and the empty is on the floor. Get back pull the dip stick....bone dry!!!!!!!!! Oh holy hell!!! She takes 4qts, where did 4 qts of oil go in 1500 miles with no obvious sign of leakage or smoking?
Its blow-by.

I had the same problem when we tuned mine with the 75mm pulley. It sounded like tin cans grinding under my truck:thumpdown:. The first time I heard it was when I was taking an off ramp pretty fast.

I brought mine back to our service dept. and had my guys check out the noise, my truck only had 2.5 quarts in it. So they topped it off, and did some kind of work to it; because it hasn't happened since.

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
man, that blows dude. Good luck with the next project. :top:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Jason I'm really sorry to hear about this. seriously thanks to the XR-U Family for helping you out bro. just goes to show we are not only on here for parts and information...but we are actually a tight nit group...more like a family.

keep us posted on the repairs...good luck bro

if you need help finding motors/parts give me a call or pm me...:top:

maybe you should drop a 2JZ...Twin Turbo...:biggrin:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
:frown: woah....i just cried a lil inside for you bro...hope everything works out bro, and let us know whatever you need :top:

Yallrun

Reaction score
No prob brother. I'm gonna bug my buddy again at the savage yard, see if he's tried to find a 1GR. He owes me and wants to get that favor gone. (Long Story) If you don't have a line yet on a motor I'll continue the search. :top:phone calls and a local drive is no prob for a XRU brother.

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
!!! Ack.. so what was the cause of the mysterious missing oil? No leaking and no smoke.. where did it all go? :dontknow: Sorry for your troubles man.. but I have to be honest. A VERY tiny part of me is excited, because when I move to VA in a few months I'm going to come by and see what the inside of this motor looks like. Don't let me touch a wrench, though. :biggrin:

As everyone has said and everyone else will say, need anything, hit me up. :top:

Ryan

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
!!! Ack.. so what was the cause of the mysterious missing oil? No leaking and no smoke.. where did it all go? :dontknow: Sorry for your troubles man.. but I have to be honest. A VERY tiny part of me is excited, because when I move to VA in a few months I'm going to come by and see what the inside of this motor looks like. Don't let me touch a wrench, though. :biggrin:

As everyone has said and everyone else will say, need anything, hit me up. :top:

Ryan

Where are you moving to in Virginia?

and dont worry, we will teach you how to turn a wrench :smile:

and Jason,

We just coudlnt leave you stranded on the side of the road with Duane :rolleyez:, plus, I know you would do the same for me.

Well get it back up and running.

Justin

CaliKnightRider

Reaction score
good luck with everything, ill help out lookin at motors here on the west coast if you find another in cali. i hope everything work out

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Wow dude, thats horrible!!! But what about your warranty?

The truck was my daily, thats why i bought a yota. I drive about 100 miles day cummutin. The clock is at 95k...guess this is one way to roll back the milage and make her a babied truck and not a commuter...:dontknow:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Wow. Very sad to read your post, but really glad that our XR-U family was there for you!
Hope all works out and your X is reborn better then ever!

Yallrun

Reaction score
The truck was my daily, thats why i bought a yota. I drive about 100 miles day cummutin. The clock is at 95k...guess this is one way to roll back the milage and make her a babied truck and not a commuter...:dontknow:

Yeah I'm a little lucky, My X gets driven about 10 miles a day. She has 13k on her and use to sit in the garage alot. Now my hours have changed so my wife and I drive in separately. But if I have to go drive alot for a day I'll jump in my wife POS saturn and beat it around town. It's a 2004 and just like a GM it's already a rattle trap with only 54k on the clock. :thumpdown:

Coupe

Reaction score
There has been a motor on ebay this past week.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The oil must of been consumed by the engine.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune brother.

No knock? Any idea how much power you were putting down?

This makes me not want to push it past 350 HP.

Top Bottom