Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ticking, possible timing chain

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
So lately my truck has developed a rhythmic ticking sound when idling and especially when on the throttle. My mechanic suggests that it sounds like the timing chain or at least the plastic guides have broken, which would be a 10 hour job + parts.

What are the best options for fixing this and how soon should I do it? What parts are needed? I don't have $1500 to drop on something like this right now... :thumbdown:

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I haven't heard of the timing chain guides breaking before. I would start somewhere else besides there. You could easily check to see yourself by pulling the valve covers off and Having a look at the chains

STONER-X

Reaction score
Some of these trucks get a "ticking" noise that is normally traced back to the injectors.... get a 5/8th hose and put it to your ear and hold it near different items on your motor

Last edited by a moderator:

madtrucker

Reaction score
My truck ticks. It sounds like a sewing machine. Especially if I'm next to a wall. Can you post a video?

Dimebag

Reaction score
Mine does the same. Here it when driving past barriers

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely it's just the "tacoma tick"...feel free to post a video

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I remember when I first noticed the Tacoma tick in my X in 06. I freaked out added some oil treatment hoeing it would go away and never did. Still ticks at 115k. Never had a issue. Video would be helpful.

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
sewing machine is a pretty good description of it. it feels like it got louder.

ill try to get a video of it

Top Bottom