Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Time to Upgrade my Sound System!

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how those jumpers work, but if you have it wired up exactly like example 2, then you are good to go. A 2 ohm load is what you want.

Great! Thanks man

I meant bridging the two positives on the sub and the two negatives on the sub then running a single positive/neg wire to amp. Maybe your right and the jumpers do the bridging for you. Don't know. I got the new type r. Gl man. Was just trying to chime in with a thought.

Haha ya the whole bridging thing confuses me a bit. The type R probably uses the same jumpers to bridge. My old type R did

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Well there's basically 2 main ways to wire a dual voice coil sub. Series and parallel. Series adds the impedance of each coil together. So two 4 ohm coils will have a total load of 8 ohms. Parallel makes the total load half of one coil. So two 4 ohm coils will have a total load of 2 ohms. You use the jumpers basically to connect the voice coils together in one of those two ways. I just wasn't familiar with the way they were set up on that type x. My type r has two little leads that you use to connect the coils together, I guess they didn't do that on the type x lol

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Well there's basically 2 main ways to wire a dual voice coil sub. Series and parallel. Series adds the impedance of each coil together. So two 4 ohm coils will have a total load of 8 ohms. Parallel makes the total load half of one coil. So two 4 ohm coils will have a total load of 2 ohms. You use the jumpers basically to connect the voice coils together in one of those two ways. I just wasn't familiar with the way they were set up on that type x. My type r has two little leads that you use to connect the coils together, I guess they didn't do that on the type x lol

Ok now that makes sense. So before when I didn't have any jumpers in could I have been using only 1 of the 2 voice coils? Either way it sounds great!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok now that makes sense. So before when I didn't have any jumpers in could I have been using only 1 of the 2 voice coils? Either way it sounds great!

Yep probably. And if so it was putting a 4 ohm load on the amp. Which would explain why you had to turn your gain down after adding the jumpers because it dropped to 2 ohms.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Yep probably. And if so it was putting a 4 ohm load on the amp. Which would explain why you had to turn your gain down after adding the jumpers because it dropped to 2 ohms.

gotcha! really glad i fixed it than cause thats one expensive sub to replace

Phil Dammit

Reaction score
I'm running a 3 channel Arc amp that is putting 120watts to my comps and 400 to my sub, and it's a very well balanced sound. your sub sound is largely based "no pun intended" on your box, I've experimented a lot, and down firing gives you the best volume and sound.

The little box on the left is my amp, the big one is a 50 farad digital cap.

Im running 500 watts to the Focal polyglass three ways bi-amp'd (using the amps as my crossovers) 75 a piece to the mids and highs, and 150ish to the lows. Then 300 to my polk at 4ohms. Never have an issue with power drops on the stock battery and alt.

loves me some focal ;)
2011-10-11110515-1.jpg

there's lots of little things you can do to make things look clean/invisible also.
2011-10-20_16-25-02_845-2.jpg

2011-10-20_16-27-11_284-2.jpg

2011-10-19163432-3.jpg

Which brings me to this, why are you running a 50 farad cap on your setup? You're not drawing enough to necessitate that.

I'm not exactly sure how those jumpers work, but if you have it wired up exactly like example 2, then you are good to go. A 2 ohm load is what you want.

Yeah 2ohm will be good but your clarity dips. Interesting that it has a run for 8ohms and 2ohms on a single amp setup but not 4ohms....

Phil Dammit

Reaction score
LOL that explains that, I took mine after learning more as time progressed and proceeded to chaulk it up as a loss and threw it in the trash.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
The Little One Farads Are Basically Useless With modern Technology, This Was JuSt A Little SomethingToHeroTheChargingSystem Out, AnD I Can Bumb All Day WithTheTruck Off And Not Really Use Abby Battery Juice.

Top Bottom