Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tires doing funny things

redarkx

Reaction score
Well guys, i have a set of goodyear eagle F1's that i just took off the truck and replaced with dunlop durezzas. the problem i was having is that the goodyears were "cuppping" really bad. basically the tires had no center tread left, but had great tread on either side. I dont burn the tires, and it was on all 4 of them. These tires came on the vehicle used and looked like the were doing it a little bit, but then they started really getting worse. the alignment is good, so i dont know what could have caused it. was wondering if anyone had any any ideas on how to not let it happen to my $200 a piece dunlops. thanks guys!

MplsX

Reaction score
No center tread sounds like an overinflation problem. Cupping sounds like it's time to replace your shocks.

Red_Hott

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity could it have been caused from over inflation?

A little to late on that post but seems like we got the same idea

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
When the tires are overinflated it wears the middle and leaves the sides with more tread, that is not cupping. Cupping can be caused by a bad shock or strut, basically the tire has no way of staying planted on the street and it continues to bounce up and down after hitting a bump. The tread will look like every other tread block is lower then the ones next to it.

Ha before I replied there were no other posts, when I finish there's 3 before mine LOL

Last edited:

redarkx

Reaction score
lol... thanks for the replies guys! ill be getting qa1's for it with some tax money and be doing front shocks at the same time, so shocks will be replaced. and as far as i know i never ran them over inflated, granted i only checked them once a month or so. what would have caused that to happen so fast though? litterally they fell apart in less than 6 months.

Murderface

Reaction score
The only thing that causes the middle to wear out and not the sides is the tire being overinflated.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
If no center tread (even treadwear), then you're OVER inflated.
If cupping, then you need an alignment. Check bearing adjustment and balance tires.

Also, cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread.
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

EDIT: Are they stock wheels and stock size tires (255/45/18)? Oversized wheels (tires too wide for wheels) can do that too.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Over inflation will cause the center tread to wear down.

Also, cupping like that is caused by lack of rotation. If only 1 of them are doing it, then it's a shock issue. I work with tires and rims all day so I know what I am talking about. Plus they were those shitty goodyears so that and lack of rotation combined will cause cupping. Since all of them were doing it it's not a suspension issue. The direzzas are a pretty good tire. So good choice on getting those.

BearCat11

Reaction score
My tires do the same thing you described with having no tread in the center. I use my 06 X for work. I have a hard tanneu cover and about 6-9 hundred pounds of equipment and materials at all times in the bed. Here comes the dumb question, I know i should probably get new shocks all the way around but what about leaf springs? Do they also get weak after 5 years of abuse? Thanks!

rich017

Reaction score
My tires do the same thing you described with having no tread in the center. I use my 06 X for work. I have a hard tanneu cover and about 6-9 hundred pounds of equipment and materials at all times in the bed. Here comes the dumb question, I know i should probably get new shocks all the way around but what about leaf springs? Do they also get weak after 5 years of abuse? Thanks!

Leaf springs will not cause your tires to wear in the middle.

What do you keep your air pressure at?

limskey

Reaction score
that sux. i had that happen to a Buick I had. Over inflation was the reason they told me and took my money for new tires. Either way, let us know what the cause was so we know what to look out for, if you don't mind!

BearCat11

Reaction score
I keep them at 35 PSI. You dont think it could be from all the extra weight (and driving like I stole it?)

rich017

Reaction score
I keep them at 35 PSI. You dont think it could be from all the extra weight (and driving like I stole it?)

Driving like that will do it. 35psi is about right but I would not go higher. Tire are always going to wear slightly more in the middle though.

~TWITCH~

Reaction score
you have to check your tire pressures when they are cold or after sitting overnight.
When driving the air in your tires get hot and expand increasing the tire pressure thus giving an incorrect reading.:top:

redarkx

Reaction score
well i have my current tire pressure set at 35, checked them this morning and have QA1's om the way as well as stock front shocks (why not) in the garage. Guess ill just keep an eye on them, thanks guys! :top:

Top Bottom